novel of 1st Intersteller War?

Starfire campaign histories, fan fiction, and talking about fiction.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Please post new fiction in a separate thread. The search engine can find all related fiction. Have fun! Just let us know who wins.

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Any Starfire-related fiction and campaign-related materials are welcomed here. Player submissions in this forum are the property and responsibility of the author.

novel of 1st Intersteller War?

Postby brasidas19004 on Wed 08 Apr 2020 14:04

Is there a novel about the 1st Intersteller War?

Seems like there's plenty about later periods, including wars and races and such I've never heard of, so I thought it is odd that no one has done the first war. Or am I missing something?

Thanks for any info!
brasidas19004
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Re: novel of 1st Intersteller War?

Postby szurkey on Thu 09 Apr 2020 04:31

brasidas19004 wrote:Is there a novel about the 1st Intersteller War?

Most unfortunately, no. The first novel is Crusade. The best way to get the novels is Star at War I (Crusade & In Death Ground) and Stars at War II (Shiva Option & Insurrection). David Weber left after those four, and the rest of them are not very good. I really want to like them, but they just don't make the grade.
szurkey
Captain
Captain

Postby dazrand on Thu 09 Apr 2020 06:38

There is no novelization of the wars prior to Interstellar War IV (ISW1, ISW2, GKW, and ISW3), however a history was developed and published as a scenario pack named Stars At War (yes, just to confuse things the combined Webber books use a similar name). The scenarios have interludes which serve as a "Cliff's Notes" version of the history.
dazrand
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby brasidas19004 on Thu 09 Apr 2020 12:11

dazrand wrote:There is no novelization of the wars prior to Interstellar War IV (ISW1, ISW2, GKW, and ISW3), however a history was developed and published as a scenario pack named Stars At War (yes, just to confuse things the combined Webber books use a similar name). The scenarios have interludes which serve as a "Cliff's Notes" version of the history.

Thanks for replies, guys!

I searched for the scenario pack "Stars at War" at wargame vault, but I don't see it. Is it part of some other titled publication? got a link?

Thanks!
brasidas19004
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby dazrand on Thu 09 Apr 2020 13:38

Stars At War just completed its rebuild and it is being proofread (we have to OCR the old books, so lots of things have to be checked, fixed, then double-checked). It should be available soon, cralis will post a note when it goes live on WGV.
dazrand
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Thu 09 Apr 2020 21:38

And I'd like to point out that the Steve White & Charles Gannon Starfire novels are pretty good. The books are a bit of a departure from the style of David Weber; but if you like the "grand war" style of science fiction where enemies are in a race to develop better technologies, bigger fleets, and find the secret to crushing their opponent; the books are pretty good.

However, the books occur many years after Insurrection, and most of the known races are in an alliance together. The reason I mention this is that when I read the very first book in the series (it is the only one of the series that Charles Gannon is not a co-author); it wasn't really clear to me in the first few chapters that it was a Starfire novel because it transpired so many years after Insurrection and there isn't a good bridge between the old novels and materials and the first of the new novels. It kind of felt disconnected. But once I got into the book, and especially after the following books came along, it jumped right back into the swing of interstellar battle!

But back to the topic at hand... The Classic Starfire supplement "Stars At War" contains the only fiction for the first Three Interstellar Wars.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby brasidas19004 on Fri 10 Apr 2020 11:28

dazrand wrote:Stars At War just completed its rebuild and it is being proofread (we have to OCR the old books, so lots of things have to be checked, fixed, then double-checked). It should be available soon, cralis will post a note when it goes live on WGV.

Thanks! Looking forward.
brasidas19004
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Return to Starfire Fiction