Update or Conversion to Solar or Ultra?

Discussion and play results of the Admiral's Challenge mini-campaign.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Update or Conversion to Solar or Ultra?

Postby Sunwolf on Tue 25 Sep 2012 05:39

Any possibility of this product being updated, converted, or revised for Solar or Ultra?

I can think of a few things I would like to see that might make it a little more complex than it is but still far simpler than the main strategic rules.
Sunwolf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Update or Conversion to Solar or Ultra?

Postby Cralis on Tue 25 Sep 2012 08:30

Sunwolf wrote:Any possibility of this product being updated, converted, or revised for Solar or Ultra?

I can think of a few things I would like to see that might make it a little more complex than it is but still far simpler than the main strategic rules.

I've actually thought about that... we currently have a couple things going on that have to take priority, but I would like to see Admiral's Challenge updated in the future.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Tue 25 Sep 2012 19:44

I'm going to have to look at this' Seems like a good way to get into the flow of a campaign. At lower EL's adapting things to Solar standards shouldn't be too hard.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Cralis on Tue 25 Sep 2012 20:06

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:I'm going to have to look at this' Seems like a good way to get into the flow of a campaign. At lower EL's adapting things to Solar standards shouldn't be too hard.

If you use the AC rules as they are, you are correct - it should be REALLY easy to convert. Easy enough I'm not sure it needs new rules.

What I'm looking at doing is changing the AC rules to be better, simpler, and more fun (focused on the combat aspect).
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Tue 25 Sep 2012 20:22

I wouldn't mind that either. For now though Admiral's Challenge may be a way to get new/returning players into a simplified campaign system. As it's designed to be simpler I would consider an EL20 cap so that there would be no critical jump issues.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Sunwolf on Tue 25 Sep 2012 21:00

One of the things I want is some sort of limited and simple form of colonization and population growth.
Also instead of every hex having a system have some gaps with warp lines (warp point connections) but they don't connect randomly only nearby, that way you can still have some key systems.
Sunwolf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Wed 26 Sep 2012 04:37

I think I can solve that fairly easily. Roll for number and radian for wp's as usual. Then roll d10+1 for distance in hexes for each wp. You can travel via wp for 1 StMP or crawl across the galaxy at 1 StMP/hex. Eventually you may backfill a part of the intersystem voids but this way most hexes will be empty space.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Sunwolf on Wed 26 Sep 2012 05:23

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:I think I can solve that fairly easily. Roll for number and radian for wp's as usual. Then roll d10+1 for distance in hexes for each wp. You can travel via wp for 1 StMP or crawl across the galaxy at 1 StMP/hex. Eventually you may backfill a part of the intersystem voids but this way most hexes will be empty space.

That kind of matches with one of the things I have been tinkering with. For Hex spines I was originally thinking it would have to be an even number, but on reconsidering it could be an odd and just move right or left off the spine.
Sunwolf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Wed 26 Sep 2012 05:39

That's how I would work it. 01-50 left, 51-00 right.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Return to Admiral's Challenge