KON Monitor Datagroup now available!

News and Announcements

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

KON Monitor Datagroup now available!

Postby Cralis on Sat 17 Feb 2018 23:50

We have added the KON Monitor datagroup for that quantity discount. But really, who doesn't want three of these bad boys?

https://www.shapeways.com/product/J7KYM ... -datagroup

Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Re: KON Monitor Datagroup now available!

Postby nukesnipe on Mon 19 Feb 2018 09:12

Wow. That's actually a really good price for 3 of those bad boys.
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Mon 19 Feb 2018 23:16

nukesnipe wrote:Wow. That's actually a really good price for 3 of those bad boys.

Shapeways has a pair of cost pairs that contribute towards the "base cost" of making the miniature: two fixed costs (one handling cost and one per floating object), and a material cost per cm^3 plus a "space" cost per cm^3 of space taken inside the printer (and that includes support wax space).

The way we calculate the price is that we figure out a markup for the individual miniature based upon the shapeways fee (aka base cost) for building that individual miniature. Then when we make the datagroup, we take the base cost and add the same markup for all three units. In other words, whether you buy the miniatures individually, in a datagroup, or in one of the larger squadrons or QSR sets -- we make the same markup for the same miniature no matter how you buy it.

So the price difference you are seeing is the cost savings of the higher amount of material per fixed cost in the datagroup compared to the individual unit. Especially in the very large units (like the SD or MT sized units), the cost goes way down because the fixed costs are a much less significant portion of the overall cost.

So in the KON MT, for example, the Frosted Ultra Detail cost is ~8% less for the datagroup than to purchase all three as individual miniatures. The TFN SD in Frosted Ultra Detail saves ~12.5% compared to individual purchases. Sadly, the price difference is negligible for smaller units like the ES, CT, and FG; so the savings are very small.

Anyway, that's why we are working towards making the larger units available as a datagroup. It's a chunk of change, but it's less than if you bought the datagroup as individual units!

We've considered even doing larger groups. Like an entire battleline or carrier group, for example. We put it off because it would cost a lot and we didn't know how much interest they would draw. But now Shapeways has a size limit for the Frosted plastics (FUD and FXD) and that limits how many units we can put in the same package.

But in the meantime, we are doing what we can to make them more affordable. With the price reduction they did on FUD last year, these miniatures are roughly the same cost as buying miniatures from a store. But acrylics are obscenely expensive so we stopped offering them (nobody was buying them). FUD looks a LOT better anyway, as good as anything I've ever bought from a store.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby nukesnipe on Tue 20 Feb 2018 08:43

Well, I appreciate your delaying my impending bankruptcy. I think I did mention when you first floated the idea of miniatures that you would probably drive me to insolvency!

I sincerely believe FUD is the way to go. I purchased other minis (not SF) in WSF and was extremely disappointed in how they came out.

My goal right now is to collect enough miniatures to play all the scenarios from the original Starfire with minis. As near as I can tell, the largest scenario is a 3-way death match between the TFN, KON and OADC that requires basically four of everything (ES to SD) for each fleet.

Has there been any thoughts on how to accommodate fighters for all these carriers?
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Tue 20 Feb 2018 12:43

nukesnipe wrote:My goal right now is to collect enough miniatures to play all the scenarios from the original Starfire with minis. As near as I can tell, the largest scenario is a 3-way death match between the TFN, KON and OADC that requires basically four of everything (ES to SD) for each fleet.

Is there any OADC art? I haven't thought about it, but I can't recall any specifically OADC art for Otterman to use for making OADC designs...

Has there been any thoughts on how to accommodate fighters for all these carriers?

The miniature rules don't allow for stacking, but I've been experimenting with using small unit and squadron counters and allowing those to stack with unit bases and each other. That seems to be working really well.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby nukesnipe on Tue 20 Feb 2018 16:14

I haven't seen any OADC art, but admittedly, I haven't looked recently.

There are several sources of fighter minis, such as Brigade Models, but I think I'll probably just go as you suggested a while back and use counters. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about it for my SF1 games.
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Tue 20 Feb 2018 17:00

Well the neat thing about the counters for small units is that I've been letting them move under and around the miniatures (large units) so they look like they are truly dogfighting, dodging, and weaving under and between the ships.

Gives a really neat effect.

It's been making me think that if/when we do miniatures for buoys, drones, and small craft that they should be small and designed to lay on the table so we get the same effect. Each fighter miniature could represent a whole squadron.

And we do have some of Jack's art with fighters in it...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Xveers on Tue 20 Feb 2018 19:56

Cralis wrote:Is there any OADC art? I haven't thought about it, but I can't recall any specifically OADC art for Otterman to use for making OADC designs...

I vaguely remember getting a few Starfire rapid prototype minis eons ago... there were some thin vertical wedges... were they OADC or Vestrii?
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Tue 20 Feb 2018 22:08

Xveers wrote:I vaguely remember getting a few Starfire rapid prototype minis eons ago... there were some thin vertical wedges... were they OADC or Vestrii?

Otterman has shown some prototypes of Kess and Vestrii designs from Alkeda Dawn and First Contact. But I'm skimming through the directories of art I have and I don't see any OADC designs... and only a couple Gorm designs.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Announcements