Discussion Thread! (was What's Coming Soon™)

Fiction by Sylvester Wrzesinski

Moderator: Xveers

Re: What's Coming Soon™

Postby krenshala on Mon 11 Jan 2010 18:35

(I know, its been a while since this was posted, but I just had to reply :D)

Hmmmm ... 225 missiles per turn, 4 turns to reload ... so a five turn cycle ...

Thats (225 divided by 5 equals) 45 missiles per turn if you want to go for a ripple-fire effect. Not a hundred percent sure you can actually do it that way, however, as I don't have the rules in front of me for the Ws. If it can work, however, it dramatically reduces "overkill" for those units you wish to destroy that don't need more than 45 missiles for a mission kill. You still have the option of dumping the entire load on one unsuspecting target, then waiting the four turns before either unloading like that again, or switching to the ripple-fire mode. :twisted:
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Club on Mon 11 Jan 2010 21:21

The problem with that tactic is that a W launcher can either load or fire, not both. You can fire a maxed-out salvo every 4 turns, 150 Re or 75 Rcb every third, or 75 Re every second turn.

That, BTW, is why I made it so fast - so it can get into ideal R range as fast as possible, and then try to stay out of the good guys SRW range while it reloads. Also why I didn’t consider loading sprint missiles – the damage/MSP curve is just better with R than with G at this level of box launcher

You might stagger the launches if there are few enough enemy ships that you can trash them all with the missiles initially loaded. Or if you are willing to have some of your launchers sitting idle for the initial salvo. I think that I'd accept the reduction in efficiency in my targeting for the increase in efficiency in the W launchers throw weight. Then again, this is only theory on my part; I've never used them personally.

In retrospect, the only thing I would change about the design is to add a Wja or Wjb system - expensive, but would make it more survivable in the warp point assault.
TAG: As I understand it, he sought to avoid turning one-point-six trillion Terran sophonts into undead, war-mongering super-soldiers.
Captain Tagon: It it wrong for me to think that would be pretty cool to watch?

http://www.schlockmercenary.com
Club
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby krenshala on Tue 12 Jan 2010 21:52

Right, you can only fire or reload ... but nothing says you have to fire and reload all 75 at the same time, does it? :twisted: Instead, you fire 15 Wb per turn, and those that aren't firing are being reloaded.
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Xveers on Thu 21 Jan 2010 19:50

This is a quick update on stuff I announced way back in late October 09.

Xveers wrote:- Full set of Universe Guide booklets that shed a bit of light on all the major empires (hopefully including some of the various player races that are in there as well...)

Progressing nicely, last few things waiting are some descriptions from one or two PRs that exist, hopefully some art to go with it all (see below).

- Fleet Booklets that show the various designs that each navy has fielded, even if they have not seen combat. This also includes some theoretical designs that were built as testbeds and then scrapped

Almost done. Layout complete (more or less) and just needs final proofing, credits, and to be run through the PDF printer at my university.

- A Scenario Booklet that covers the first deWulf-Sintillan war (in the same theme as Stars at War and Crusade).

Needs final art bits. I looked at my blender work, and it's farther along than I anticipated, which is good. Sintillan ships are more or less complete, and the deWulf destroyer is mostly done but needs detail work and texturing. Also delayed since some shots will be of planets, and this ties in with new digitized reasonably plausible maps.

A proper PDF copy of the deWulf Empire up to turn 88 or so.

This should have been done a while back. All I need to do is complete some proofing (I've been doing updates and fixes through the whole thing as of late, fixing bits here and there) and then fed through the PDF maker.

- Updated new-style system maps (thanks to Fractal Mapper 8)

On hold currently. Other stuff has higher priority atm.

- A deWulf universe guide giving information on individual planets

Delayed due to new planet maps. Geology major friend is offering information to rework planetary maps to make them more realistic/plausible. Also involves giving realistic resource extraction issues!

- All of these are going to have some better art, moreso than my craptastic MS Paint style stuff. Not "I lifted this from a website somewhere" art either... :D

Delayed due to time needed to properly create actual 3d models. Some concept work created, needs more implementation.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby PracticalM on Sat 10 Apr 2010 00:37

I know I mentioned Graphviz in this thread but for Mac users I have to recommend OmniGraffle. It comes on recent macintoshes and allows importation of Graphviz files, but then you can move them around as if it was in Visio.

I just started using it for the campaign I just started.
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Xveers on Fri 16 Apr 2010 04:40

As an additional, random note:

I tend to bury interesting bits of stuff here and there in the story, if the sneakier of you haven't quite realized perhaps. One part of that would be the use of German (since the deWulf are tapping that alles un ordung kind of vibe something deep). As a thought, you might, every now and again, might want to see what the words actually mean. Google works, but myself? I use www.leo.org .

As for why I mention this?

Well, things are moving again. War clouds on the horizon. And I'm quite wired on caffene.

My old, old offer still stands. Find something interesting I've buried, and you might get mentioned someplace.

Matthäus, Christoph? If you two are out here reading this, I haven't forgotten you. You're both getting your rewards. A bit late perhaps, But I promise it won't be some fly-by-night tugboat.

And, as a bit more randomness http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLpgxry542M&playnext_from=TL&videos=xCaU3M6NBTQ A clip from Mass Effect 2. There' some -bad words-, but nothing you didn't learn in high school, and you get to learn just how nasty a K gun can be ;)
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Vandervecken on Sun 28 Jul 2013 08:23

Xveers,

Sorry but I can't find a better place to respond to your stories. I don't want to muck up the actual turns with my thoughts and comments. Your writing is too good to have that happen (This is a hint to others as well to make a folder for comments, It will keep your stories 'cleaner' and easier to read.)

So, I already PM'ed you about Turn #110. Just a recap: well written and very powerful stuff.

Now a thought on your Turn #111 stuff.

Did you ever read 'Ender's Game' or 'Speaker for the Dead' by Orson Scott Card?

The second part of Turn #111 reminded me a little of those books.

It is the bane of sane men that we remember our transgressions, both accidental and those we have done with purpose; yet that all of us to some degree have a 'Conscience' allows civilization to sprout from the anarchy of mortal man's needs and desires. There are many situations even in an ordinary man's life where there is no good answer. The only choices you can make are from many bad answers, the lesser of two or more evils. Those are the ones that good men will find hard to forget. As we try to prevent ourselves from ever being in that position again; knowing that the universe makes no promises that the future will be a better one. Only the will of people doing good deeds can even nudge the future toward a better path.

It is ironic that only 'Life' can counter-act entropy to any degree, yet life can hasten it as well (Especially intelligent life, eh?).

Keep up the great work. I may be an optimist, but maybe somewhere in all of the deWolf universe, you'll be able to tap into a story arc that gives us hope that the future has "Hope"; and that you may not have to write your own version of 'Speaker for the Dead'. Yet from even that Xenocide, came about a better humanity, yet the cost was very high.

P.S. - And I still thank everyone who takes the time to write about their campaigns, whether it is fiction or battle reports or empire growth updates. Your time spent is appreciated. It has become a part of what I love about Starfire.
Last edited by Vandervecken on Mon 29 Jul 2013 05:11, edited 1 time in total.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Xveers on Mon 29 Jul 2013 03:47

Vandervecken wrote:Xveers,

Sorry but I can't find a better place to respond to your stories. I don't want to muck up the actual turns with my thoughts and comments. Your writing is too good to have that happen (This is a hint to others as well to make a folder for comments, It will keep your stories 'cleaner' and easier to read.)

So, I already PM'ed you about Turn #110. Just a recap: well written and very powerful stuff.

Now a thought on your Turn #111 stuff.

Did you ever read 'Ender's Game' or 'Speaker for the Dead' by Orson Scott Card?

I've read Ender's game a long while back, but I still flip through it. I suppose I'll read Speaker for the Dead (though I admit I've spoiled myself by reading the synopsis on Wikipedia, like I do for so many things). I don't see myself buying any of Card's books though. That's another story.

The second part of Turn #111 reminded me a little of those books.

It is the bane of sane men that we remember our transgressions, both accidental and those we have done with purpose; yet that all of us to some degree have a 'Conscience' allows civilization to sprout from the anarchy of mortal man's needs and desires. There are many situations even in an ordinary man's life where there is no good answer. The only the choices you can make are from many bad answers, the lesser of two or more evils. Those are the ones that good men will find hard to forget. As we try to prevent ourselves from ever being in that position again; knowing that the universe makes no promises that the future will be a better one. Only the will of people doing good deeds can even nudge the future toward a better path.

It is ironic that only 'Life' can counter-act entropy to any degree, yet life can hasten it as well (Especially intelligent life, eh?).

Ah, the perils of free will. Nothing so corrosive or constructive has ever truly matched it. Novas may destroy and the force of gravity may build, but the willful act of someone makes even these awesome events seem so pitiful.

The actions that happen in my story are built upon others. Nothing in my universe truly happens in a vacuum. Decisions are made. They interact with other decisions. The results are sometimes what neither side truly expected. I wonder how many people could remember, or even care to find out WHY all of this is even happening? Nation states do not casually decide to wipe another from the face of existence. I like to think that knowledge of why drives a bit more of this pointlessness home.

Keep up the great work. I may be an optimist, but maybe somewhere in all of the deWolf universe, you'll be able to tap into a story arc that gives us hope that the future has "Hope"; and that you may not have to write your own version of 'Speaker for the Dead'. Yet from even that Xenocide, came about a better humanity, yet the cost was very high.

I suspect such things will come eventually, but honestly there is so little to be found in the Elysian War arc. Both sides are set in their place and unless some miracle occurs, then there will be so very little left on either side. But then I was a history student before I even considered myself a student, really, and given where my family comes from then death and destruction on such a scale has perhaps become a part of our psyche. Well, the more damaged among us anyhow.

In the end the State will survive. The Elysians too, perhaps might not be all wiped out. Or not. Until it happens, the future is remarkably mutable.

P.S. - And I still thank everyone who takes the time to write about their campaigns, whether it is fiction or battle reports or empire growth updates. Your time spent is appreciated. It has become a part of what I love about Starfire.

I do wish more people wrote. Such potential lies dormant like untilled soil. Well, one can hope!
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Vandervecken on Mon 28 Oct 2013 18:28

Thanks for more of a good thing, nuff said !
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Discussion Thread! (was What's Coming Soon™)

Postby Xveers on Mon 04 Nov 2013 21:32

The fun I'm getting is that I want to write more stuff dealing with the machinations on-planet, but to do that without horribly clogging it I have to -have- planets built. Which means I've been doing plenty of scribbles and other oddities with trying to put a world together.

And because the way I am means that I want it done at least reasonably well, that means I'm playing with continental plates, interactions, black body temperatures, and the effects of rotation and axial tilt to affect local temperatures.

So yeah, it's a bit more complicated than just running fractal world generator and calling it a day :P

Earlier WiP for one of my worlds, Nordhausen (land of chlorine and general unpleasantness). https://www.dropbox.com/s/xyoq5citnngwt8w/Nordhausen2.jpg
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to deWulf Universe