Discussion Thread! (was What's Coming Soon™)

Fiction by Sylvester Wrzesinski

Moderator: Xveers

Re: Discussion Thread! (was What's Coming Soon™)

Postby darbycmcd on Tue 14 Oct 2014 15:27

I really like your fiction, but I have gotten a bit lost on the actual game that you have going on. Do you ever think about posting an overview, like economic production, actual OB for the fleet, summary diplomatic state, map, that sort of thing. There seems to be lots going on, but it is hard to sort of keep track of and sometimes it is a bit to close up view to appreciate the sweep of history, as it were. But I only ask because I find your overall story compelling!
darbycmcd
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Xveers on Mon 20 Oct 2014 23:33

darbycmcd wrote:I really like your fiction, but I have gotten a bit lost on the actual game that you have going on. Do you ever think about posting an overview, like economic production, actual OB for the fleet, summary diplomatic state, map, that sort of thing. There seems to be lots going on, but it is hard to sort of keep track of and sometimes it is a bit to close up view to appreciate the sweep of history, as it were. But I only ask because I find your overall story compelling!

Well, since you asked so nicely I think I will! :)

Give me a couple days. I'll probably start a new thread with some maps, overarching intel updates and the like.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Vandervecken on Fri 13 Feb 2015 05:42

Thanks again for your fiction, Xveers. Very nice work there !

A WP battle at Turn #120 that has 3 x BB vs 3 gunboat sqdn (and distant carriers);. I suspect that that was one of the easiest battles you have had in a while to do, I bet.

I Wish I had a map so I could visualize the lanes and choke points better, hehehee.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby SCC on Fri 13 Feb 2015 23:50

Van, there's one in the universe guide, but I'm not sure how up to date it is. That said, I don't think D and Dc are good anti-BG weapons
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Xveers on Sat 14 Feb 2015 03:38

SCC wrote:Van, there's one in the universe guide, but I'm not sure how up to date it is. That said, I don't think D and Dc are good anti-BG weapons

They aren't as efficient as having fighter groups in a per-MC basis, but it's worth noting that one of the Baltic-Class BB's is quite literally capable of one-shotting a GBa squadron in one turn. At medium or close range and with a reasonable die roll it can outright kill a squadron, and even with the worst rolls possible it will have a high enough BASV to make a gunboat squadron entirely impotent with LRWs.

Also, thanks for reminding me about maps! Totally forgot about those. I've updated the Turn 120 deWulf update with maps: Here
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby SCC on Sat 14 Feb 2015 04:49

Xveers' most capital weapons have a better BASV then Dc, if you've got a b or e generation capital weapon chances are it's a better choice per HS for anti-sqn work
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Moonsword on Sat 14 Feb 2015 08:02

SCC wrote:Xveers' most capital weapons have a better BASV then Dc, if you've got a b or e generation capital weapon chances are it's a better choice per HS for anti-sqn work

Unless there's something drastically wrong with my math, that's dead wrong.

Lce loses to Dca and it's the best e generation capital weapon for BASV. It will outshoot Dcza. Of course, that isn't the case when you're using SL11 Dcb/Dczb, which is a better comparison to the SL 12 Lce in my opinion.

Here's the relevant numbers. Dc is 3 HS, Dcz is 4 HS, and Lc is 7 HS.

Dca/Dcza 7/6/6
2.33/2/2 per HS
1.75/1.5/1.5 per HS

Dcb/Dczb 8.5/7.5/7.5
2.83/2.5/2.5 per HS
2.13/1.88/1.88 per HS

Lce 14/12/10
2/1.71/1.43 per HS
Moonsword
Commander
Commander

Postby Xveers on Sat 14 Feb 2015 15:21

Moonsword wrote:Of course, that isn't the case when you're using SL11 Dcb/Dczb, which is a better comparison to the SL 12 Lce in my opinion.

Generally speaking, one should always compare technologies of roughly equal SL. An item that is several SL / generations higher should perform better than one at distinctly lower level. For BASV calculations this is even more so, as generations beyond "a" get additional bonuses to their BASV. For example a Lce is two generations above an Lca, and has an inherent +4 across all ranges for BASV value.

It is interesting to note however that even WITH that, the larger size of the mount means that it's only marginally better than a Dcza. Given that we're comparing an SL 7 tech (the Dcza) with a SL 12 tech (the Lce) that really is quite impressive.

And lastly, a battleship with a primary battery of Lce's fills a VERY different niche than one carrying Dcza's...
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Xveers on Wed 11 Mar 2015 21:26

So, where's the new stuff?

Well, for that I apologize. I've been tooling on four different writing bits depending on where my brain takes me:

1) Turn 120-2, the actual battle. I couldn't find the notes I took for this battle, so I went to go and write something that went along what I remembered and fitted the general flow of the battle. Last weekend while I was archiving scrap notes into my datavault I found the notes, so this basically is getting a top-bottom rewrite. Which is good, really. I felt it was really lacking on 'crunch'. And boom. There was a substantial lack of boom.

2) I think I might've found a reliable artist for my "Sintillan War" project. (about damn time!). In the course of re-editing the book, I realized it could use a bit of a bookending, so I've been writing a pair of short mini-stories to go before and after the meat of the book, for a little flavour. This is about half-done as well, almost done first pass.

3) Turn 120 overviews. I've got the one for the Krak about half-done, and I've finally gotten some headway on getting the updated info for the other BIG race I want to do a report on, so that's kinda coming together.

4) Another bit of fiction, "Zero Sum". I've written up the broad strokes of what happened to the Terrans, but I never really fleshed out a good bit of the "Why". Why would a major polity decide to economically cripple itself bad enough to cause a war? Why would that even -cause- a war? I think I've come up with something good, and I'm looking forward to hammering it out.

5) I'm also cross-posting my story (starting with the Elysian War) over on another forum, and giving everything a once-over as I do. Partially continuity checking, but also partially rework and improvement. There's a couple scenes I'm just not pleased with, and this gives me a bit of a kick in the pants to improve on them.

And that is, sad to say, not including some other stuff that I've got tossed to the side either (3d models and some other bits of writing and artwork that may or may not see the light of day elsewhere).
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Xveers on Sun 05 Apr 2015 03:58

I have to admit, there is a certain poetic effect when one wages war upon heaven, and the supposed resting place for the good and honourable dead...
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to deWulf Universe