Art!

Fiction by Sylvester Wrzesinski

Moderator: Xveers

Re: Art!

Postby Xveers on Thu 09 Mar 2017 20:20

southwestforests wrote:
<multiple things about suits snipped here>

Despite the advanced technology of the EMU, the "mechanics" used to meet the astronaut's basic needs of food, water, and waste elimination are surprisingly "low tech."

OOooh, bookmark'd! Thanks!

It's worth noting however that these suits are more akin to Honorverse skinsuits, just not as effective (the suits built by the People's Navy would actually be quite in demand; they have much better independant life support than a deWulf one, but that's to be expected. HH's techbase is substantially more mature). They can do waste storage and processing for a good bit, but basic life support by themselves without an EE pack is limited.

Cralis wrote:It is my understanding that certain long running sci-fi shows and movies intentionally stay away from stuff like this to both lower production costs and to keep the characters "more human" so they will appeal to a broader audience. It's part of the reason I don't particularely care for them.

I think they are missing that what it means to be human will change with changes in science. There are some books, shows, and movies I really like _because_ they understand and show this. Gibson's books, Snow Crash, the Expanse series, Star Carrier series and Semper Fi trilogy of trilogies by Ian Douglas, and Charles Gannon's Caine Riordan series all come to mind when I think of stories that highlight this.

I think one thing a lot of people forget with this kind of information display is information density as well. The reason why I have two widescreen monitors at Work (and at home) is that I often need to be reviewing multiple datastreams at once. That's something that you can't quite do as effectively in a helmet, and one has to at some point cut down on what is being displayed since ideally you also want the wearer to actually see PAST what he's looking at at the same time.

The basic fundamental concept of a helmet is first and foremost to protect the user, with an immediate secondary for the user to have situational awareness of what's going on (ideally to the point of making the presense of the helmet be an improvement and not a burden). This fundamentally imposes some restraints that only get loosened as your tech base gets more advanced.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Xveers on Wed 18 Oct 2017 23:15

Hello! It's been a bit of a while.

I haven't forgotten about things. I've just been... working on projects. But here's a bit of a preview...

https://xveers.deviantart.com/art/Planetary-Test-Render-710384382
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Test Render of a deWulf Drive Room

Postby Xveers on Thu 01 Mar 2018 03:37

So the muse decided I needed to do something instead of sleeping. I've always had the rough layout for what my drive rooms would look like if/when I ever needed to do a deckplan, and tonight the muse said to actually get off my butt and do it! Conceptually, the whole thing looks pretty good!

As a rough test, this idea works pretty well. The inside walls of the room are 20m*20m*20m, or approximately 1 HS (as I recall the discussion once in the distant past, but in any case it's what MY setting uses either way). We have an initial catwalk that goes around the room that's 2m wide and reaches from the front of the compartment around the side walls, then back behind the Drive Torus and to the Drive Field Collimator on the far right wall. Yes. It's a Drive Donut. And yes, that is what it gets called informally.

Realistically this room should actually be somewhat smaller. This is a very rough spec of the engine room of an Augen Mk1, and the outer hull is actually ~2 meters or so thick (the spacing is used for tankage, some processing systems, power runs, and the like). So this room should actually be more like 18*18*18. Secondly, it's a commercial engine, so the torus is supposed to be elongated fore and aft in a longer shape. That would make the torus take up more of the "engine room" proper, and probably require another pair of corner supports.

In addition, the corners and other spaces in this engine room would realistically be taken up by other bits and pieces. If this was military engine on a DD (so one room is one torus), then the aft half would be taken up by the torus as it is, then the forward half would be filled with maintenance shops, a few offices, and more equipment (note one of the critically missing components so far is power GENERATION). If this was an engine room for a CA or larger class, more similar toruses would be stacked in line of the exhaust, with the extra space being used for the aforementioned other hardware.

Oh, and that little blurry figure in front of the torus? A roughly-to scale Fenren. About 170cm tall. Helps put things into perspective, doesn't it?
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby southwestforests on Thu 01 Mar 2018 23:31

That counts as the first drive unit illustration I've seen. So far this brain refuses to create its own mental image of the systems so it is nice to see someone's take on it.
Talking about power supply, that's something I don't remember any publication or conversation about but then there is a lot of that which gets past my notice.
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Commander
Commander

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Postby Xveers on Fri 02 Mar 2018 03:22

southwestforests wrote:Talking about power supply, that's something I don't remember any publication or conversation about but then there is a lot of that which gets past my notice.

Thing is, as best I can see, the ship designer talks a lot about what your ship can do in direct results, but very little about the support systems that it needs to MAKE it happen. Life support, for example. We know that must encompass the enviro plants, probably messes and galleys, and some food storage (to say nothing about water and air recyc), but beyond that the only other thing we know is that the last Q system also is your bridge.

Similarly for engines and engine rooms. We know that for a DD, 1 Ia = 1 engine room = 1 tactical MP and 1/2 strategic MP, but there's more to engines than just the engines. They need power. They need maintenance space. Coolant systems. Control runs. Watch stations. And then they also need the space for this crew to actually live on board as well.

For this, I'm taking a page out of GURPS (where I've lifted a lot already...) and gone with the "slice" concept. An engine room, for example, represents not just the engine itself, but a slice of crew accommodations and recreation, a slice of a primary generator, and so on.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby southwestforests on Fri 02 Mar 2018 10:14

Oh, what I meant was what the power supply itself is. Matter/Antimatter reaction? Nuclear reactor? Aether collectors? Refried bean gas? Trek forum commenter hot air?
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Commander
Commander

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Postby Xveers on Sat 03 Mar 2018 00:06

southwestforests wrote:Oh, what I meant was what the power supply itself is. Matter/Antimatter reaction? Nuclear reactor? Aether collectors? Refried bean gas? Trek forum commenter hot air?

Depends. Lifeboats and long-term independent systems run on advanced RTG generators (a variety of closed-cycle Stirling engine, I think). Small craft, as well as ship APU (aux power units) run on a catalyzed cold fusion generator. Fairly compact and reliable, but it doesn't scale well. Primary power generation in the deWulf universe comes from fusion power plants, though it is possible that other races have looked at more... energetic power systems.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Whitecold on Sat 03 Mar 2018 01:56

Given that Starfire drive fields violate momentum conservation (and thus energy conservation) I am pretty sure you could build a powerplant out of it.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sat 03 Mar 2018 02:37

Whitecold wrote:Given that Starfire drive fields violate momentum conservation (and thus energy conservation) I am pretty sure you could build a powerplant out of it.

No more than an Alcubierre drive.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Whitecold on Sat 03 Mar 2018 04:15

Cralis wrote:
Whitecold wrote:Given that Starfire drive fields violate momentum conservation (and thus energy conservation) I am pretty sure you could build a powerplant out of it.

No more than an Alcubierre drive.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

The Alcubierre drive skirts the problem by being just solutions to the Einstein equations, which have 4-momentum conservation built in. Of course, it has still a whole lot of problems with other physical conditions, but I don't see how the drive field respects 4-momentum conservation.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to deWulf Universe