Nukesnipe's Miniatures

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Nukesnipe's Miniatures

Postby southwestforests on Thu 13 Apr 2017 01:40

nukesnipe wrote:Cralis the Candyman did this to me on purpose. He know's I'm mildly OCD and a compulsive collector.
It's a trap!
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Commander
Commander

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Postby Cralis on Thu 13 Apr 2017 01:53

nukesnipe wrote:So, I have this crazy idea to play my way through all the Starfire I and II scenarios with miniatures. I seemed to remember those scenarios being pretty small...

You should post battle notes and your opinion on how the miniature system worked for those old scenarios. I had considered something like that, but I've been working on another angle for a few months now.

...then I started counting up what's needed.. Scenario 10 of Starfire I has 4 of everything, SD down to ES for the TFN and KON, along with one each SD, BB and CA and 2 each DD down to ES for the Ophiuchi. Never mind the fact I need to purchase another 6 FTs.

Cralis the Candyman did this to me on purpose. He know's I'm mildly OCD and a compulsive collector. He lured me in and got me hooked. "I plan on having each miniature represent a data group", he said. Like that would ever fly with an OCD compulsive collector.

Well... I tried. It has been working for me, but I admit that it may not work for everyone.

Now, I'm strung out shaking with the DTs waiting for the next 20% off sale at Shapeways and pining for some TFN small units.

I hate you, Cralis. :P

I'm only the messenger! :) But I agree... while it's not the TFN small units yet, more are coming very, very soon.

southwestforests wrote:
nukesnipe wrote:Cralis the Candyman did this to me on purpose. He know's I'm mildly OCD and a compulsive collector.
It's a trap!

Obligatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-d1Kcohzhk
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby nukesnipe on Thu 13 Apr 2017 06:11

Cralis wrote:... while it's not the TFN small units yet, more are coming very, very soon.

That's just cruel....
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Captain
Captain

Postby Otterman on Thu 13 Apr 2017 07:20

If it's small units you're wanting, luck may be on your side. I dreamed of starting the TFN FG design, so my subconscious is poking at me.

Incidentally, I didn't have any good ideas in the dream.
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Thu 13 Apr 2017 09:05

I know it's similar to the DD, but we do have Jack's new FG design in his artwork we used for the TFN calendar. There's a new CL in there too.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby nukesnipe on Thu 13 Apr 2017 11:55

Given the shape of the original counters, perhaps the frigate should be a smaller copy of the destroyer without the top and bottom "fins" in order to give it that crescent tail look?
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Captain
Captain

Postby Otterman on Fri 21 Apr 2017 08:52

Heya nukesnipe and Cralis, how do you feel about the amount of detail on the DD?

Would you like the same amount, or less, on the FG?
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby nukesnipe on Fri 21 Apr 2017 09:47

Otterman,

I think the minis are great as they are. I tend to go high end on the printing (ultra frosted detail) which is probably a lot of overkill, but the detail you put into them almost begs me not to accidentally miss some of it. Of course, the added expense forces me to pace my purchases so She Who Must Be Obeyed doesn't bring the hammer down on me...
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Captain
Captain

Postby southwestforests on Fri 21 Apr 2017 10:00

nukesnipe wrote:... forces me to pace my purchases so She ...
Aw man. Oh well, even if there is no she life will fill that void; after all that what life does best, fill voids - look at some of the crazy places things live on this planet.
And that forced pacing thing brings up that I can't figure out why Social Security people give me the look they do when I say that since I'm disabled more than 40 hours a week Disability owes me some overtime (so I can buy miniatures).
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Commander
Commander

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Postby Cralis on Fri 21 Apr 2017 11:28

Otterman wrote:Heya nukesnipe and Cralis, how do you feel about the amount of detail on the DD?

Which DD? TFN? KON? RPSA? :lol:

I think they are all fine. Some of the fin edges make Shapeways complain, but in FUD or FXD it all comes out perfect. If I wasn't getting some of each material type for pictures, I'd probably only buy FUD.

Although, I am going to check out this new metallic plastic and see if it's cool enough to offer.

Would you like the same amount, or less, on the FG?

What did you call the details? Gibbons? I can't remember... but proportionately to the size, the same amount is fine. The miniatures all currently look spectacular. My only concern is making sure the details aren't so small that Shapeways refuses to print it.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

PreviousNext

Return to General