The problem with computers...

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

The problem with computers...

Postby Cralis on Thu 13 Jul 2017 00:35

Is when they fail.

My apologies for being slow, I have more stuff to put out (datagroups! pictures!) and things to do. But one of my two computers suddenly stopped working earlier this week after (I think) a bad update from Microsoft. Either that or the update just failed and did something bad. It said so! Either way, I'm in the process of rebuilding the machine. At least it's not a hardware issue that requires me to buy and wait for new hardware to ship.

Since it's the machine I use for my graphics editing and other non-typing stuff, that pretty much means I've been held up unnecessarily for some of my project(s).

So if you are waiting on something, or waiting on an update from me, my apologies. I'm burning through them as fast as I can while I'm updating.

In other news, did you know that it really does take something like 6 hours to fully patch Windows 7? And that's AFTER downloading and installing the updates that fix the slow updater software... :o And that time doesn't even count reinstalling all the software.

My wife reminds me that "at least you can fix your own computer." I suppose that it one positive in this whole mess.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Re: The problem with computers...

Postby Xveers on Thu 13 Jul 2017 14:16

Heylo Cralis!

I feel your pain there man. Been there more times than I would care to admit or remember. Get your stuff back online and you'll be back here herding cats before you now it.

Myself, I'm just glad that I didn't just freak you out and make you run screaming for the hills...
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: The problem with computers...

Postby Cralis on Thu 13 Jul 2017 14:57

The biggest problem is that, during the work week, I only have a few hours a day to work on it. So I worked on it for two evenings before I decided to format and reinstall. Then it was two evenings of patching and installing drivers (so far). After that is done I will install other software.

And that's assuming I avoid whatever caused the problem in the first place...

I wish I could just image the machine (or machines, actually), but I don't have the software for it.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to General