Scenario Section?

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Scenario Section?

Postby Cralis on Thu 21 Dec 2017 01:12

Marvin and I have been talking about adding a forum section focused on scenarios. We'll put together a basic format of what should be put in the scenarios and how we would like it formatted, and anyone can submit scenarios. And then players can post their battle results, suggestions, and other discussion in the topic for that scenario.

We might even put together subforums for thematic scenarios or scenarios to be organized into scenario-campaigns. Marvin even suggested subforums for players with campaign games who want a place to post scenarios of the battles generated from their campaign.

What do ya'll think?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Re: Scenario Section?

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Thu 21 Dec 2017 01:44

Many thumbs up! I would love to see these done on a version specific basis. I am currently playing the Original starfire I scenarios with my army buddy, and we are planning to go through all of them. Because of mistakes, we are not going to be posting our first run through, other than just the end results, but subsequent playthroughs will be done with the goal of getting a decent log file so that others can use it to follow through the actual battles using Vassal.

I'm hoping to be able to write some fiction, and now that I'm starting to be able to build scenarios of my own, we are going to be posting them for use on vassal, although I still need to figure out how to write something called extensions, rather than just editing the base Module/Scenario.

I'm hoping to get a small scale, Original starfire III:Empires mini-campaign written over the winter, with at least 10 scenarios, and will be needing playtesters for them when they are ready.
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Xveers on Thu 21 Dec 2017 03:00

Presumably you've also talked with Marvin about 3rd party scenario packs? :P

Cralis wrote:Marvin and I have been talking about adding a forum section focused on scenarios. We'll put together a basic format of what should be put in the scenarios and how we would like it formatted, and anyone can submit scenarios. And then players can post their battle results, suggestions, and other discussion in the topic for that scenario.

We might even put together subforums for thematic scenarios or scenarios to be organized into scenario-campaigns. Marvin even suggested subforums for players with campaign games who want a place to post scenarios of the battles generated from their campaign.

What do ya'll think?
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby coldsteel on Sat 23 Dec 2017 14:34

I'm down with this. Could you also post previously-converted scenarios? Did I ever send you the GSF update to those 2 campaigns I updated from 1st to 3rdR?
TFN: 1 BB, 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 11 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Commander
Commander

Postby Xveers on Sat 23 Dec 2017 14:44

I'm pretty sure I have an updated copy of the Drolian Conflict from the Nexus magazines lying around on my HD somewhere... I updated it up to ULTRA, so that should also make it SOLAR compatible (it's all really low tech, so there shouldn't be any differences at that level).
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sat 23 Dec 2017 14:57

I'll tell you what... send me the scenarios and I'll build them into the suggested format as examples.

And yes, void, one of the categories will be version of Starfire. That way you won't have to read the whole scenario to figure it out.

And Xveers: Ja.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Whitecold on Tue 13 Feb 2018 11:28

I think a scenario section would be very good. Especially Solar Starfire doesn't offer any examples or scenarios going beyond the quickstart rules, and jumping into a campaign is quite a step, so having some scenarios would be quite useful for going on after quickstart games.
Also, to try out designs it is very helpful if you have some 'standard' designs to compare it to as a starting point. The play advice section has some tips on design, but again it is very light on examples. Again having a few possible designs and also fleet compositions at higher EL would make it easier for new players to design their own fleets, and design their own scenarios as well.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Vandervecken on Sun 18 Feb 2018 03:18

Simply 2 thumbs up for a scenario section. I hate adding thickness to the rulebook, but this is a good and smart change to make.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Morpheus on Sun 18 Feb 2018 13:09

Vandervecken wrote:Simply 2 thumbs up for a scenario section. I hate adding thickness to the rulebook, but this is a good and smart change to make.

I completely agree with this. Classic Starfire (the tactical rules) had 2 pages of about 10-12 bare-bones scenarios that were stripped down from Stars at War, and were great for getting the feel of playing Starfire. I can't remember how many times I played those scenarios. Would it be possible to take those scenarios, convert them to Solar and then add them in a couple page appendix to the Solar rules?
Morpheus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Sun 18 Feb 2018 22:40

Whitecold wrote:I think a scenario section would be very good. Especially Solar Starfire doesn't offer any examples or scenarios going beyond the quickstart rules, and jumping into a campaign is quite a step, so having some scenarios would be quite useful for going on after quickstart games.

Don't forget that we do have the Solar Union Training Scenarios in the downloads section.

viewtopic.php?f=96&t=3166

Also, to try out designs it is very helpful if you have some 'standard' designs to compare it to as a starting point. The play advice section has some tips on design, but again it is very light on examples. Again having a few possible designs and also fleet compositions at higher EL would make it easier for new players to design their own fleets, and design their own scenarios as well.

This is a good point, but I think the suggestion that the scenario section also have a place specifically for players to post ship designs is a good idea too. One thing at a time...

Vandervecken wrote:Simply 2 thumbs up for a scenario section. I hate adding thickness to the rulebook, but this is a good and smart change to make.

I'm not sure if you are saying that because adding to the rulebook is bad, having a scenario section in the forum is great, or...

Morpheus wrote:I completely agree with this. Classic Starfire (the tactical rules) had 2 pages of about 10-12 bare-bones scenarios that were stripped down from Stars at War, and were great for getting the feel of playing Starfire. I can't remember how many times I played those scenarios. Would it be possible to take those scenarios, convert them to Solar and then add them in a couple page appendix to the Solar rules?

Those scenarios were not from Stars At War, those scenarios have been passed down from Starfire I and Starfire II into Classic Starfire. Stars At War was an expansion to those scenarios to cover the entire ISW1-ISW3 periods.

A number of people have posted conversions from SAW to Galactic Starfire and Ultra Starfire. They don't go very well. But one of the things we are going to do when we can rewrite Appendix FF is to introduce some basic scenarios like you suggest.

In the meantime, Xveers has sent me a bunch of scenarios from an older conversion he did and I'm planning on making them the first scenarios when I get the scenario section built. But again, one thing at a time... I'm just about to pass a ton of filtered change notes to Daz for the next Solar Starfire update so I can go back to focusing on another project that is underway...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Next

Return to General