Maps

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Maps

Postby Buffrockjaw on Tue 03 Apr 2018 07:02

Is there any chance at all of getting scans of the 4-part map set? The corrected one from GSF?
Buffrockjaw
Midshipman 1st Class
Midshipman 1st Class

Re: Maps

Postby Cralis on Thu 05 Apr 2018 00:10

Oh man... I don't even know how you'd do that. Do they make scanners big enough? Or maybe a handheld scanner with software to stitch the scans together? Worst case, maybe scan each foldedpiece and hand-stitch it together with a graphics program?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby southwestforests on Thu 05 Apr 2018 07:58

Playing in google just now found there are flatbed scanners available up to at least 24x36 inches.
and other type up to 54 inches
Wonder if a printing place or a sign company might have the service available without you having to buy a scanner for ten to forty grand?
Architects?
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Commander
Commander

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Postby Morpheus on Sun 08 Apr 2018 17:10

This thread got me thinking, would anyone find a large, computer generated system/tactical map useful? Since there isn't one for VASSAL, and the 4-part maps are very hard to find, I was considering creating one with either Excel, Python or PostScript. PostScript would be good because it could be directly printed very easily and edited in Photoshop for importing into VASSAL. With some minor modifications, the map could easily (I think) be imported into a VASSAL module as well.
Morpheus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Sun 08 Apr 2018 22:28

Morpheus wrote:This thread got me thinking, would anyone find a large, computer generated system/tactical map useful?

I think that is an excellent idea. If for no other reason than it can be used in Vassal.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Tesuji on Tue 05 Jun 2018 09:12

Hi there,

I have alreaday done a digital version of the 4-part map, but need some feedback on the size. I want to cut it down to latter sized chunks and bundel them into PDF format, so they are ready to print and glue together.

How do I post attachments here? It seems restricted, right?
Tesuji
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Cralis on Tue 05 Jun 2018 11:49

Email it to cralis@starfiredesign.com, that’s how we do it. This is something I am willing to support directly, but we’ll have to put a little more info on it if you’re willing. So email me :)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Morpheus on Tue 05 Jun 2018 15:14

Tesuji wrote:I have alreaday done a digital version of the 4-part map, but need some feedback on the size. I want to cut it down to latter sized chunks and bundel them into PDF format, so they are ready to print and glue together.

Looks like you beat me to the punch. I'd definitely like to see what you came up with.
Morpheus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Tesuji on Tue 05 Jun 2018 16:14

I emailed Cralis a draft. Maybe he can post it here.
It's nothing fancy this far, but I hope we can collect some ideas on how to improve it.

I am currently looking for the best programatic way in numbering the hexes. ;)
Tesuji
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby nukesnipe on Wed 06 Jun 2018 14:25

Tesuji wrote:Hi there,

I have alreaday done a digital version of the 4-part map, but need some feedback on the size. I want to cut it down to latter sized chunks and bundel them into PDF format, so they are ready to print and glue together.

How do I post attachments here? It seems restricted, right?

I'd be very interested (as in "willing to part with some of my son's college fund") for a 4-part map that could be printed as a poster or game mat.
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Next

Return to General