Marvin asks...

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Marvin asks...

Postby Cralis on Thu 06 Sep 2018 20:08

I normally don't like to interject into these conversations because I want to hear YOUR opinions, but I thought you might want to know that the conversations you are having are directly impacting our internal discussions. You are literally answering some of our internal questions! I would really like to see more of our players answer the survey and tell us what they think, so if you know anyone who hasn't joined the conversation, I would encourage you to encourage them.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby nukesnipe on Thu 06 Sep 2018 20:55

coldsteel wrote:
nukesnipe wrote:So, I guess what I'd wish for is a simplified campaign system that doesn't require one to be a CPA to play.

Like Admiral's Challenge?

I never had Admiral's challenge, so I can't speak to it. I really enjoy the detail of the Ultra/Solar campaign rules, especially the economy. But, the very things that make it so interesting to me also make it nearly unplayable.

I would, however, like to see the amount of money available in the game reduced. I find that when money is no longer an object, a lot of the interesting decisions in the game subside.

I mentioned VBAM not to pitch the game, but to pitch the concept. I like VX-134's (sorry, don't know his name) idea of a stand alone product with a new empire scenario as well as a campaign with pre-generated factions. In my opinion, however, such a product, in addition to having its own tactical rules, should be able to use the tactical rules of Solar/Ultra.

Thanks for soliciting our opinions. I remember writing Marvin a letter while I was deployed in the Indian Ocean in '95 begging him to explain orbital mechanics to me.... :D
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby VX-134 on Mon 10 Sep 2018 00:04

I would, however, like to see the amount of money available in the game reduced. I find that when money is no longer an object, a lot of the interesting decisions in the game subside.

In my 2nd edition solo campaign, I wanted to limit fleet size while still allowing tech development and colonization to proceed at a satisfying pace. My solution was to multiply the cost of all military expenditures (everything in section D8 of the 2nd edition rulebook) x10 while leaving the direct costs of tech development and colonization unchanged (the indirect costs of colonization would still increase since the freighters needed for population transfers would cost more to build and operate).

To limit income growth, I’ve also been considering eliminating the economic value multiplier (EVM) increases that come with advances in tech level. Instead, the listed EVM for each new tech level would represent a new EVM “ceiling”. Increasing a population's EVM past the old ceiling would require industrial investment (D7.4). Thus your empire’s income doesn’t automatically increase just because you advance in tech level, you have to invest in modernizing your aging infrastructure. Choosing not to make these investments can create a gap between the military and civilian economies (a high-tech military paired with an underperforming civilian economy).
VX-134
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby nukesnipe on Mon 10 Sep 2018 05:47

VX-134 wrote:
In my 2nd edition solo campaign, I wanted to limit fleet size while still allowing tech development and colonization to proceed at a satisfying pace. My solution was to multiply the cost of all military expenditures (everything in section D8 of the 2nd edition rulebook) x10 while leaving the direct costs of tech development and colonization unchanged (the indirect costs of colonization would still increase since the freighters needed for population transfers would cost more to build and operate).

To limit income growth, I’ve also been considering eliminating the economic value multiplier (EVM) increases that come with advances in tech level. Instead, the listed EVM for each new tech level would represent a new EVM “ceiling”. Increasing a population's EVM past the old ceiling would require industrial investment (D7.4). Thus your empire’s income doesn’t automatically increase just because you advance in tech level, you have to invest in modernizing your aging infrastructure. Choosing not to make these investments can create a gap between the military and civilian economies (a high-tech military paired with an underperforming civilian economy).

Those ideas look interesting. I need to pull out the books and study them. Thanks!
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Morpheus on Wed 12 Sep 2018 21:43

Here are my answers to Marvin’s questions:

1. Last Month: 0 (its been a busy month with kids starting school). In the Last Year: 15-20 scenarios
  2. I haven’t played an “official” campaign by the formal campaign rules, but the scenarios we have been playing have been chained together out of SAW (1st ISW). I prefer playing at the tactical-system level to the strategic rules for managing a whole empire (too much work).
  3. (A) Myself plus 1-2 others (B) No other players on this forum
  4. If I could see any product(s), it would probably be: (1) Cosmic Starfire that would hopefully be compatible with the 3rd Edition scenario (SAW, Crusade, etc.), (2) more miniatures, (3) some sort of design your own miniatures system or templates for Blender or an equivalent 3D program, or (4) some sort of cool colorized quick reference charts/sheets (there was a photo posted in the FB group for 2nd Edition (https://www.facebook.com/groups/518441601575446/permalink/1847551778664415/) that have me a lot of good ideas).
Morpheus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby VX-134 on Fri 14 Sep 2018 21:37

Add to my product wish list: Shapeways reproductions of the old 2nd Edition Miniatures.
VX-134
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby nukesnipe on Sat 15 Sep 2018 17:45

VX-134 wrote:Add to my product wish list: Shapeways reproductions of the old 2nd Edition Miniatures.

METOOMETOOMETOO! :D
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Xeelee on Mon 17 Sep 2018 04:31

Hi guys,

I lurked for a long time, observing rather than interacting. It's hard for me to start conversation or posting. I had few months break from Starfire, but this topic interested me enough to post. :)

My answers for Marvin questions:

1. Last month 0 and last year 0
I don't play scenarios except to introduce new players. So in my few years of play I played 4-5 simple scenarios to introduce players to combat system.

2. Last 3 moths I played non of Starfire, earlier I usually run 1 or 2 solo campaigns, at same time, for fun. I SMed 3 campaigns for friends, all of them bailed out around turn 50.

3A. I SMed 3 campaigns for friends, always it was one player and me as SM. I don't run any campaign right now.

3B. This is my only username on all forums.

4. New ruleset for Solar Starfire, I like to play with rules more than with stories. Fun with numbers and excel is the best. :P

Few other notes about my story with Starfire and my background:
I started playing around high school, 16 years ago, I didn't find many people near me who are interested in playing math and number heavy games. My shyness didn't help with that either. :)
Few friends who played with me weren't interested in battles. I tried to interest them in strategic layer, but they bailed out after some time playing, overwhelmed by slower pace of game and a lot of excel work.
I created quite a few excel sheets for my use to perform turns and automate parts of Starfire turn process. Nothing very complicated, but better for my needs.
Xeelee
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Previous

Return to General