How do you remember which ships turned?

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Owner, SDS Members

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: How do you remember which ships turned?

Postby Cralis on Wed 30 Oct 2019 20:30

aramis wrote:Starfire 3rd Ed is clear that it's move THEN turn, as were prior; I've not checked later.

The basics for the tactical rules for ALL versions of Starfire are essentially the same.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby voidstalker[woe] on Thu 31 Oct 2019 04:44

aramis wrote:I've known quite a few... but they all played SFB, and it's not specifically the issue of turn modes, but of procedure when applying the turn mode.
That is actually an interesting way to express that. Without knowing exactly what the problem is, it is hard to fix, and I think I had guys also confused and thinking turning used movement points. :?

Did SFB charge a price in movement points to change facing?
voidstalker[woe]
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby aramis on Thu 31 Oct 2019 12:08

voidstalker[woe] wrote:
aramis wrote:I've known quite a few... but they all played SFB, and it's not specifically the issue of turn modes, but of procedure when applying the turn mode.
That is actually an interesting way to express that. Without knowing exactly what the problem is, it is hard to fix, and I think I had guys also confused and thinking turning used movement points. :?

Did SFB charge a price in movement points to change facing?

Usually not. Exceptions: High Energy Turns, Sub Light Tactical turns.

Really annoying that SVC chose one way for SFB and another for Starfire.
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby voidstalker[woe] on Thu 31 Oct 2019 23:10

aramis wrote:
voidstalker[woe] wrote:Did SFB charge a price in movement points to change facing?

Gotta love the guy for that, lol. I wonder how many battles have gotten screwed up for such reasons over the decades, lol. :?
voidstalker[woe]
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby coldsteel on Mon 04 Nov 2019 12:50

voidstalker[woe] wrote:
aramis wrote:
voidstalker[woe] wrote:Did SFB charge a price in movement points to change facing?

Gotta love the guy for that, lol. I wonder how many battles have gotten screwed up for such reasons over the decades, lol. :?

Billions and billions... </Nader>
TFN: 1 BB, 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 11 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Tue 05 Nov 2019 02:04

coldsteel wrote:
voidstalker[woe] wrote:Gotta love the guy for that, lol. I wonder how many battles have gotten screwed up for such reasons over the decades, lol. :?

Billions and billions... </Nader>

An infinite number, if you account for all of the variations of Starfire in the multiverse... and some of those probably have the turn sequence reversed for Starfire and SFB. :lol:

In any case, I prefer the move-then-turn because it's a much better simulation to represent the underlying assumption that turning is a continuous action, which is otherwise not represented at all.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby voidstalker[woe] on Thu 07 Nov 2019 23:48

Cralis wrote:In any case, I prefer the move-then-turn because it's a much better simulation to represent the underlying assumption that turning is a continuous action, which is otherwise not represented at all.
I do too, and I tried to explain that to my friend from high school, but he was all like, "That's BS", but he is all about drama, and surprise and things like that. He likes nothing more than when he can freewheel, and make things up as he goes along. That's great in chess or AD&D and such, not so great for SF.

Anyone have any thoughts on recording turns accurately and easily?
voidstalker[woe]
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Fri 08 Nov 2019 13:11

*laugh* You used “make things up” and chess in the same context. That’s a great way to lose every game of chess..

Recording turns? You mean like a history or record of events? I don’t do it very often so I haven’t developed a good short-hand for it. I just use a string of movements.
F = forward
R = turn right
L = turn left
S = stay in place
| = pipe is used to separate tactical turns

everything else I put in brackets, like {detune} or {EM-2}. Starting is prefixed with +, stopping with -. Like +{detune} or -{detune}. I just write out all other orders. No short-hand for firing, cargo transfers, etc.

I suppose that is something that could be useful to players who want to record games by hand.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby voidstalker[woe] on Fri 08 Nov 2019 22:20

Cralis wrote:*laugh* You used “make things up” and chess in the same context. That’s a great way to lose every game of chess..
I should have you play my friend in a 100 gme tourney over the remainder of this calendar year. If you beat him more than 35 times out of the 100 games, then you advance on to the main event...ME. :D

My buddy and I are just amateurs, but we used to draw crowds when we played back in highschool. Nowadays, neither of us is the chess player we were then, and make far to many mistakes. :(
voidstalker[woe]
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby aramis on Sat 16 Nov 2019 03:12

voidstalker[woe] wrote:
aramis wrote:

Personally, I can state that it's affected about 15 of my tactical plays in the early 1990's and late 1980's
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to General