Returning to Starfire Project

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Returning to Starfire Project

Postby brasidas19004 on Fri 27 Mar 2020 10:27

It's been a long while - have had plenty of other things going on, including real-life military eventfulness. Now, with the general extra time thanks to societal shutdown, I'm returning to my Starfire Project, which was started way back when, here:
https://redinthemorning.blogspot.com/se ... l/Starfire
The first post is just a catch-up post, I've several batreps below it, unfortunately from 2014!

What am I thinking, anyway? Well:
1) use 1984 Starfire Boxed Set from TFG and steal the Vector Movement from Triplanetary,
2) find suitable fleet-scale miniatures [1-1.5" capital ships, 1/2" small ships],
3) get better 1" hex maps,
4) try to scam others into playing.
5) Alternative plan - use Triplanetary but steal the combat system from Starfire.

It's a bit of a retro project, hoping to make some progress during this partial shutdown.
brasidas19004
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Re: Returning to Starfire Project

Postby szurkey on Sat 04 Apr 2020 16:03

I remember Triplanetary fondly...

Please let me know how your retro project goes. I keep hoping to play Gorm-Khanate War someday...
szurkey
Captain
Captain

Postby southwestforests on Sun 05 Apr 2020 22:43

Enjoyed reading the blog posts; and looked at some of the linked blogs.

On that one, Yarkshire Gamer - The Dice Have Fallen Silent, both the post and the comments, oh, what's a good word ...
... both the post and the comments are flavored with a mix of poignancy and promise.
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Captain
Captain

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Postby brasidas19004 on Mon 06 Apr 2020 10:31

OK, got up my first post in the recent era:
https://redinthemorning.blogspot.com/se ... l/Starfire

I did two plays of the Initial Contact scenario. I can't seem to get the Khanate player a draw, much less a win. Probably the ship is just too outclassed. I might try it swapping out the Gun for a Missile launcher.

I need to look up if the planet has any effect on the game...

EDIT. OK, looked that up, and in the basic rules it has no effect. The advanced / optional rules allow it to be a bit of a barrier, but the rule for it is completely convoluted, so I'll have to re-work it.
brasidas19004
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby krenshala on Tue 07 Apr 2020 18:29

Short version, even back then i believe, was that you had to be in the hex with the planetary body to use it for "cover". Doing so, of course, would block "line of sight" (60 degree arc, iirc) of any unit that does.

Remember, starfire hexes are 75k km (1/4 light second) across, while Earth is 12.7k km (just less than 20% the width of the hex). The moon is a mere 384,400 km from Earth, which is 5.1 tH away. I can't remember if they the hexes are 150k km (1/2 light second) in ISF and earlier, which halves the distance to the moon in hexes, but makes hiding behind it that much harder.
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 13yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby brasidas19004 on Tue 07 Apr 2020 20:17

yeah, the rule is a bit awkward to use.

personally, I think that someone - even a ship - in "cover" should be able to benefit from it because it is part of a plan that involves that obstruction that the defender knows about and the attacker doesn't.

So, I'm just thinking that I'll use a planet hex as a subtraction to the hit number. This could also be due to it's mass, and gravity, which could distort shooting ability, as well as orbiting bodies [who says you only get one like us??] that make for more "physical" cover / concealment, etc.

In short, I think it makes for a good game tactic. However, as a non-science person, I am prepared to listen attentively to those who actually know something about the science of the universe as we understand it.
:)
brasidas19004
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Cralis on Thu 09 Apr 2020 23:20

Since Starfire presumes that the inertialess drives can simply STOP in space, the blocking created by planets represents that the ship is stopping where the planet will remain between the ship and the opponents he is hiding from.

The reason you have to be so close to the planet is about math. If you are not close enough to the planet then geometry and wave dynamics means that your ship will not be completely covered by the planet's shadow.

We've considered having modifiers for being really close to the planet (for some of the same reasons... interference by gravity, atmosphere, etc.), but then we realized there would be bonuses because the ship would have to limit it's movement to stay near the planet (less movement = easier to hit). So we just called it a wash for simplicity.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to General