If you could have whatever new product you wanted...

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: If you could have whatever new product you wanted...

Postby Sunwolf on Fri 22 Nov 2019 07:31

Iinterested in both a campaign game and a simplified strategy game
Sunwolf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Sunwolf on Fri 22 Nov 2019 07:35

PracticalM wrote: a better way to play tactical games.
A simple campaign that could be tied to it much like the idea around a map similar to the Stellar Conquest board game (and computer game from SSG)

A replacement for shipyard would be nice. Spreadsheets don't quite have the same power as the original shipyard software.

That would be good still have the original Stellar Conquest
Sunwolf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby PracticalM on Sat 23 Nov 2019 13:26

Sunwolf wrote:That would be good still have the original Stellar Conquest

Here's the link to play online at Internet Archive.
https://archive.org/details/msdos_Reach ... alaxy_1986

It was down when I tried but it's the same game.
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby aramis on Tue 31 Dec 2019 06:01

My desire is 1E SF/SFII, plus the LhQ and drive rooms rules, with the d10 tables from 3rd.
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby aramis on Tue 31 Dec 2019 06:01

My desire is 1E SF/SFII, plus the LhQ and drive rooms rules, with the d10 tables from 3rd.
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby hoochgut on Mon 06 Jul 2020 09:05

voidstalker[woe] wrote:Ok, so this thread is my reply to question #4 "If you could have whatever new product you wanted for Starfire tomorrow, what would it be?" asked in the thread Marvin Asks...
https://www.starfiredesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3460&start=0

So, I would have several answers to the above question. For the sake of brevity (or at least as close to that as I can get with such a topic), I'll state that all that follows will be based upon the move from a purely PnP game to the realm of a mixed PnP game with computer support, and then continuing on to a full blown pure computer based Starfire game.

Starfire 1 series...

All, I've been grappling with this in my mind for a while.

Let me introduce myself - my name is Doug and I usually go by hoochgut, or DrGut, or something like that online. I come from playing Starfire back in the late 70's/early 80's with my strategy-oriented gaming group at school. Days passed and we moved on to different locations, etc. In recent years I've tried to get my local gaming groups to pick up the game, and the bump to learn, start new games is usually a non-starter. We did get one night of basic scenarios, but not much beyond that. While both my kids enjoy board games, I can't get them to commit the time to learn/play a game of this magnitude.

The other part of my history is that I am a software engineer from days past, and have moved into more managerial roles. I've not lost my desire to tinker and create programs, but I generally leave that to the young jocks around the office. To satisfy my need to "play and learn", I've been trying to teach myself all sorts of new technologies. I always say - learn by doing and find a project that keeps you interested. So I set off to create a computer version of Starfire in it's basic form - small tactical scenarios where the heavier lifting of the rules and calculations is left to the computer.

It's been my hobby during Covid, since everything else is shut down. But now, I've actually gotten to a point where I have a framework where I can build out new training games and small tactical scenarios to try things out. I've been trying to keep to the SSF rules as best I can, and have found interesting ways to enhance gameplay since it's on a computer and not a physical board. For instance, units are not visible on the game board until they are detected. I also added animation (just for fun) to some of the combat (missiles, lasers, explosions, etc.)

Again, this has been and continues to be a personal hobby and a way for me to learn newer programming languages. But I am interested in feedback about sharing the game with this group. At this point, I have about 1% of technology built in, and a long ways to go, but I wanted to share information about what I have been working on these long Covid days.
hoochgut
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby Cralis on Mon 06 Jul 2020 14:32

Howdy sir!

We do have agreements for fan-created software. Basically we require certain recognition and there are a few restrictions (like you can't put the rules into the program so the player doesn't need the rules to play). If you send me an email at cralis@starfiredesign.com I will send a copy to you.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Previous

Return to General