Alternative System Generation

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Alternative System Generation

Postby szurkey on Wed 26 Aug 2020 20:02

This is usable in ISF, SM#2, GSF, & Ultra. I generates a lot fewer planets, but more stars and more moons.

Definitions
H := Hot Jupiter
XA := Asteroid belt inside the biosphere
OA := Asteroid belt in the
Planetoids (including moons) are standardized on Type Mass (X2 = eXtreme mass 2)
Mass determines the max PU.
Mass 0 = 0 PU
Mass 1 = 20 PU
Mass 2 = 60 PU
Mass 3 = 180 PU
XA = 20 PU
OA = 60 PU
M := Maroon star (Red Dwarf)
Low(NdS) := take the lowest roll of N number of dice with S sides
High(NdS) := take the highest roll of N number of dice with S sides
SkewedLowTwo(NdS) := add together the lowest two rolls of N number of dice with S sides
SkewedHighTwo(NdS) := add together the highest two rolls of N number of dice with S sides
Middle(NdS) := take the middle die rolled of N number of dice with S sides
SQR(NdS) := take the squareroot of N number of dice with S sides

Generate number and type of stars in a system:
Number of distant components = Low(3d3)
For each distant component, number of close components roll FRD(SQR(1d4))
First distant component is A, second distant component is B, third distant component is C.
Distance between AB in STMP = 1d4 + 1
Distance between AC in STMP = 1d4 + 1
Distance between BC in STMP = FRD((AB^2 + AC^2)^0.5)

Roll Low(2d6) for each star to determine it's mass (which also means type):
1 M Maroon
2 R Red
3 O Orange
4 Y Yellow
5 W White
6 B Blue

For each star type, roll to determine the number of planets it has.
M = SkewedLowTwo(4d3)
R = SkewedLowTwo(3d3)
O = 2d3
Y = SkewedHighTwo(3d3)
W = SkewedHighTwo(4d3)

For each star, roll based on it's type to see if one planet is habitable.
M none!
R 2d6 = 12
O 1d10 <= 5
Y 1d10 <= 7
W 1d10 <= 9
B none!

For each habitable, pick one rule to follow:
We love GORMS, roll 1d2 for type of habitable, 1 = T, 2 = ST.
We like GORMS, roll 1d3 for type of habitable, 1 to 2 = T, 3 = ST.
We dislike GORMS, roll 1d4 for type of habitable, 1 to 3 = T, 4 = ST.
ST planets are O3 for T species.
T planets are O3 for ST species.

Habitability = 1d10.
+- 1 = Benign (30%) max 3600 PU
+-3 = Harsh (40%) max 2400 PU
+- 5 = Hostile (30%) max 1200 PU
Homeworld max 4800 PU
No max PU increase with EL advancement.

Each star has four planet formation zones, Inner, Bio, Gas, and Ice. Habitable planets automatically are placed in the Bio zone. No zone may have more than one planet until all zones have at least 1 planet.
Roll 1d4 to determine which zone a planet is in, then roll 1d10 for planet type.

1d4 = 1 Inner, 2 Bio, 3 Gas, 4 Ice

Inner
1 AX
2 to 3 X2
4 to 9 V
10 H

Bio
1 to 3 AO
4 to 9 O3
10 G

Gas
1 AO
2 to 7 G
8 to 9 I
10 O2

Ice (no close component)
1 AO
2 to 3 G
4 to 9 I
10 O2

Ice (with a close component)
1 to 5 AO
6 G
7 to 9 I
10 O2

Number of moons and type of moons is based on planet type.
X2 num moons = Low(2d3) - 1 moon mass = low(2d2) - 1 all are type X
V num moons = Low(2d4) - 1 moon mass = low(2d2) - 1 all are type X
H num moons = SkewedLowTwo(3d4) moon mass = low(2d4) - 1 all mass 3 are type V, else X
O2 num moons = Low(2d4) - 1 moon mass = low(2d2) - 1 all are type O
O3 num moons= SkewedLowTwo(3d3) - 2 moon mass = low(2d3) - 1 all are type O
T num moons = SkewedLowTwo(3d3) - 2 moon mass = low(2d3) - 1 all are type O
ST num moons = SkewedHighTwo(3d3) - 2 moon mass = low(2d3) - 1 all are type O
G num moons = SkewedHighTwo(3d4) moon mass = low(2d4) - 1 special type possible!
I num moons = SkewedLowTwo(3d4) moon mass = low(2d3) - 1 all are type O

For G planets, if the moon in the first orbit is mass 3, 50% chance that moon is mT or mST. All other moons are type O.

Standardized Mineral Richness based on formation zone.
Inner = SkewedHighTwo(3d3)
Bio = 2d3
Gas = SkewedLowTwo(3d3)
Ice = SkewedLowTwo(4d3)

Roll Results
2 VP 0.6
3 P 0.8
4 N 1.0
5 R 1.2
6 VR 1.4
szurkey
Captain
Captain

Re: Alternative System Generation

Postby JoeBuckeye on Sat 29 Aug 2020 09:11

Interesting thoughts.

I've always thought the game would be more interesting if there were more Starless Nexuses (Nexii?) and fewer WP's in binary systems rather than more.

I think the current rules make it too easy to fort up systems and make wars nothing but WP assaults.

If there are more open systems (and make them more likely to have the higher number of WP's), which are much, much harder/expensive to fortify, then there will probably be fewer WP assault slogs.

Never tried it out but have been meaning to.

Edit: This could also be accomplished by more systems with no planets in it. Basically make resources more scarce.
Joe
JoeBuckeye
Commander
Commander

Postby szurkey on Sun 30 Aug 2020 19:29

JoeBuckeye wrote:Interesting thoughts.

I've always thought the game would be more interesting if there were more Starless Nexuses (Nexii?) and fewer WP's in binary systems rather than more.

I think the current rules make it too easy to fort up systems and make wars nothing but WP assaults.

If there are more open systems (and make them more likely to have the higher number of WP's), which are much, much harder/expensive to fortify, then there will probably be fewer WP assault slogs.

Edit: This could also be accomplished by more systems with no planets in it. Basically make resources more scarce.

A lot of what I am trying to do is to make add more variety to planets but with fewer planets per star. While planets have more moons, they have fewer colonizeable moons. The mass 0 moons cannot have PU emplaced on them, but they can be turned into asteroid forts...

The above has each system with expected value of 1.33 distant components. But if you roll Low(2d3) instead, the expected value is 1.56. If you are willing to map in 3d, then you can replace the d3s with d4s, and get more distant components(Low(3d4) EV 1.56, Low(2d4) EV 1.875). Each distant component has an expected value of 1.25 stars. With warp points only being associated with the primary star, you can have a lot real estate 2 to 5 STMP from one the star that has the warp points...
szurkey
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Sun 30 Aug 2020 23:04

szurkey, in the rules all moons are mass 0 unless otherwise stated (like twin moons). You might want to call your moons "asteroid moons" or something.

I know what you're doing, I did it with my custom sysgen too for the exact same reasons...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby szurkey on Mon 31 Aug 2020 03:49

JoeBuckeye wrote:Interesting thoughts.

I was thinking about this last night... Have you considered trying warp points in a few systems that connect pockets of star clusters in normal space? For example, roll 1d6 (or Middle(3d6) if you want a central tendency) distant components and then randomly connect them with 1d4+1 STMP (I would only map them in 2d), and at most half can have warp point going to other clusters. You would then have between 1 and 12 stars (each distant component has one or two stars).
szurkey
Captain
Captain

Return to General