Quick Start Campaign!

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Quick Start Campaign!

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Fri 26 Oct 2012 16:50

Wish I had the time and available opponent to play the scenario.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby thesmith4 on Mon 29 Oct 2012 19:16

Quick Start Campaign, Scenario Two: Retreat to the Edge

Side A goal: Either fight off the opponent's ships or fall back to beyond the nearer map edge.

Side A forces:
Surviving forces from the first scenario (See "Special Rules" for how to treat damaged ships.), plus,
1 x Washington Class Space Cruiser DD-[3]-SSSAAAH(I)MgQ(I)RRYQLD(I)(I)(I)-[5] (Kennedy)
1 x Gagarin Class Explorer CT-[2]-SSAH(I)HMg(I)RYQX(I)-[6] (Bering)
1 x Foch Class Military Spaceship DD-[3]-SSSAAAH(I)(I)MgQ(I)RRYQRD(I)(I)-[5] (Rommel)
1 x Japanese Transport FT2-[2]-S*A*HHHHH(I)L*QHH(I) (Suzuki Maru)

Notes:
-Each ship contains holds, which contain extra life support commodities, repair parts, and other items. It represents the deep space exploration nature of the human forces, allowing them to operate far from bases at Earth. This system is destroyed as a normal system on the ship, and has no effect on the tactical battle in this scenario.
-If the first scenario was not played, or the records are not available, assume the Lincoln was the only survivor, and assign ten points of damage to her, marking off systems from left to right. Then, repair the ship as noted above.
-The Transport uses special rules. The three systems with asterisks each take one point of damage, instead of the normal 1 point destroys two systems method that Freighters use. In addition, the Laser system is a "souped-up" mining laser, modified to have a combat usage. However, the jury-rigged design is fragile. After each shot, roll a die. If a nine or ten is rolled, the laser has malfunctioned and is no longer functional, though it is still eligible to be destroyed from weapon damage.
-Any ships surviving the first scenario need to get to General Quarters to be ready to fight.in this scenario However, with the repairs and other issues the ships have, that is an unpredictable process. On the first turn of the scenario, the surviving ships cannot use any offensive weapons, or maneuver, though their I drives can be operational. On the second turn, right before rolling initiative, Side A's player rolls a die for each ship that survived. If he rolls a 1-2 for any surviving ship, the ship can come to general quarters and acts normally. On the third turn, the roll needed to come to GQ is 1-4, and so on, until, on the sixth turn, the surviving ships can automatically come to GQ and use weapons.

Side B goal: Destroy Side A's ships, or drive them from the map.

Side B forces:
Surviving forces from the first scenario (See "Special Rules" for how to treat damaged ships.), plus,
2 x '!Xibrat! Protection Vessel DD-[3]-S(6xA)(I)Q(I)R(I)RYQFD(I)(I)-[5] (Kubri'!, Horbii')
2 x '!Xibrat! Heavy Protection Vessel CL-[3]-SS(7xA)(II)QMg(I)RFQ(II)RYFQFD(I)-[4] ('!Tchoaf, '!Roaf)

Notes:
-If the first scenario was not played, or the records are not available, assume one of the DDs was the only survivor, and assign ten points of damage to it, marking off systems from left to right. Then, repair the ship as noted above.

Set-up:
Use two of the Quick-start maps. Place them side by side, such that one of the longer sides of one map matches up with one of the longer sides of the other map, forming them into a nearly square board.

Place Side A's (Earth's) forces first. Any ships from the first scenario are placed in a hex at least 10 hexes from the closer edge of the map, and at least ten hexes from either side, and the Japanese Transport should be stacked with them. If no ships survived, place the Transport in the same fashion by itself. The European and American warships should be placed within ten hexes of the Transport/surviving ship stack. Finally, the Russian scout should be placed ten hexes from the opposite edge of the map. Ships may have any heading.

Place Side B's forces next. All ships must be placed on the side of the map opposite Side A's deployments, in the first row of hexes. The ships must be within five hexes of each other. and no closer than ten hexes to the Earth scoutship. They may choose any heading.

Special Rules:
-Any surviving ships from the First Scenario may be repaired. Assume the ship can repair all Shields. One Armor system can also be repaired. The ship then can repair other systems based on the number of spaces those systems take up--Destroyers can repair 3 spaces worth of systems (for example, three I systems, or a D system and an additional Armor), while Corvettes can repair 2 spaces worth of systems (for example, an I system and an Armor). In addition, the Japanese transport allows 3 more spaces of repair to be accomplished, split as desired between the surviving ships. Surviving ships from the first battle should use the same record, with the repaired systems either erased and rewritten, or written above the line of ship's systems. When in combat, repaired systems are destroyed as normal, with already destroyed systems simply being skipped. (For example, a ship might look like this: SSSAxxx(I)xRxR(I)QL(I)--when it takes damage, mark off the systems as you normally would, skipping the already destroyed systems. If a laser hit this ship and did 2 points of damage, it would destroy the single point of Armor, and then the (I) surrounded by small "x"es. Another 2 point laser hit would destroy both "R" systems, ignoring the damaged system between them.)

-Ships may withdraw only from their side of the board.

At the end of the scenario, assess victory points as follows:
-Each surviving Earth ship able to withdraw from the board generates 1 point for Side A. Each alien ship destroyed generates 2 points for Side A
-Each Earth ship totally destroyed generates 2 points for Side B. Each alien ship able to withdraw or surviving until all Earth ships withdraw generates 1 point for Side B.

The player with the larger amount of victory points is the winner. Keep track of both players' ship conditions and victory points for use in the next scenario--surviving ships will be participating!

(Okay. I think I'm done. I shouldn't do this when I'm tired. AT and TT, let me know if this scenario works, or if I need to add anything! Thanks!)
Last edited by thesmith4 on Thu 01 Nov 2012 22:29, edited 2 times in total.
In closing, all I have to say is: Shield, Shield, Shield, Armor, Armor, Armor, Hold, I-drive, Missile Launcher...

--Howard
thesmith4
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Tue 30 Oct 2012 18:08

I really wish I had the time and opponents to play these scenarios. Alexi's relatives would want to be in command of the Gagarin class CT's.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby TerryTigre on Fri 09 Nov 2012 01:28

I can probably play it this weekend, some of the special rules take some work to implement.

I like the idea of linked scenarios =)
Status: 26 types of tech system. Working on fleet tactics. Added b generation weapons, including G, Gb. Possible to give Ships Movement Orders. Working on SysGenV2
TerryTigre
Captain
Captain

Postby thesmith4 on Thu 11 Jul 2013 20:33

Restarting these scenarios now that the third quick start package is out.

Redone scenarios follow.
In closing, all I have to say is: Shield, Shield, Shield, Armor, Armor, Armor, Hold, I-drive, Missile Launcher...

--Howard
thesmith4
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thesmith4 on Thu 11 Jul 2013 21:27

Quick Start Campaign, Scenario One (Revised): Contact at a Red Dwarf (Uses one map as provided in the quick start rules download, plus 2 DDs and 1 CT from one side, and 2 DDs and 1 BS from the other side, along with all 3 planets and 4 home-made counters.)

Side A goal: Explore this new-found system, discovering as much scientific or intelligence data possible.

Side A forces:
2 x Washington Class Space Cruiser DD-[3]-SSSAAAH(I)MgQ(I)RRYQLD(I)(I)(I)-[5] (Lincoln, Wilson)
1 x Armstrong Class Space Explorer CT-[2]-SSAAH(I)MgRYQX(I)(I)-[6] (Peary)

Notes:
-Each ship contains one hold, which contains extra life support commodities, repair parts, and other items. It represents the deep space exploration nature of the human forces, allowing them to operate far from their base at Earth. This system is destroyed as a normal system on the ship, and has no effect on the tactical battle in this scenario.
-As long as the science instruments ("X") system is undestroyed, when the CT passes within two hexes of one of the "Objective" counters, the side A player can remove that counter from the board and place it next to him, face up. Only the Armstrong Class ship can perform this function, though once the counters are removed, they are simply placed in the Side A player's area, representing the ability of the Side A Ships to communicate the data on the objectives to each other. The Armstrong Class ship does not actually have to withdraw for the Side A player to get the benefits of finding the Objectives.

Side B goal: Defend the system, preventing the intruders from learning about your kind and your system.

Side B forces:
2 x '!Xibrat! Protection Vessel DD-[3]-S(6xA)(I)Q(I)R(I)RYQFD(I)(I)-[5] (!Kunga', 'Uvrot!)
1 x '!Xibrat! Support Base BS1-[0]-(5xS)(5xA)HQ(5xH)R(5xH)QDY-[0] (!Xib-0046)

Notes:
-The base station holds are destroyed in the same way freighter holds are destroyed--one point of damage destroys two "H" systems. If a single "H" system with a non-hold system behind it is hit by damage (for example a surviving H from the (5xH) sections), then only the single "H" is destroyed. Another point of damage must destroy the next, non-hold system.

Special Rules: Make 4 small pieces of cardboard, about the same size as a ship counter. These represent "objectives" of scientific and intelligence interest in the system. On one side, label them with a point value, as follows, one counter with "1", two counters with "2", and one counter with "4". When the map board is ready, but before placing ships, place these counters on the map, face down. Side B places first, and picks one of the face down objective counters at random, putting it anywhere on the map, but in such a way that it is more than 5 hexes from any side of the map, and more than 5 hexes from any other objective counter. Side A then places a randomly picked counter with the same limitations as the first placement. Side B then places the third counter in a similar fashion, followed by Side A placing the final objective counter. Ensure that the point values are not seen by the Side A player--the Side B player may look at them before placing his ships, but may not alter their placement. After the point values are placed, draw the three planets and a space station randomly, and lay one face up on top of each objective marker. This will generate four stacks of two counters each--one an unknown point value counter, and one a randomly chosen planet or base.

Side B then sets up his ships. They must be within at least 5 hexes of one of the objective counters, though they may be split up, as long as each is within 5 hexes of any of the objectives.

Side A then sets up his ships. They must be in the last row of hexes on either of the narrower sides of the map board, with all ships within five hexes of each other.

Play the game normally. Side A ships may withdraw from the same side of the map they entered from, and Side B can withdraw from the opposite side. Once a ship withdraws, it cannot re-enter the board. It is obvious to Side B that the smaller Side A ship is a specialty scouting ship, based on visual sensors and other detection methods, even with the ship's shields up.

--Side A gets the value of the Objective counters it has removed. Additionally, it gets one point for each ship that withdraws with at least one "Q" system remaining undestroyed. (It is not necessary to withdraw any ships--the scientific and intelligence data can be carried by message drones that any of the ships may release at any time.)
--Side B gets double the value of the objective counters remaining on the map.
The player with the larger amount of victory points is the winner. Keep track of both players' ship conditions and victory points for use in the next scenario--surviving ships will be participating!

Hope you like this! I'll be developing at least two more scenarios, one a battle as the Earth forces fall back from the larger '!Xibrat! fleet, and the second a battle to defend the colonies at Alpha Centauri.

Revision notes: I added a (weakly armed) BS1 to the Side B forces, and added planets and the base to the objective counters to match the fiction--the planets are the three gas giant moons (the gas giant is "off the map"), and the base is in orbit of the gas giant also. Since the base has many holds, I had to make rules for how to handle those. Also, the human scout can plot a less tight course around the objectives now.
Last edited by thesmith4 on Sun 25 Aug 2013 15:06, edited 2 times in total.

--Howard
thesmith4
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thesmith4 on Wed 24 Jul 2013 11:27

Quick Start Campaign, Scenario Two (Revised): Retreat to the Edge (Uses one map as provided in the quick start rules download, a second map that is cut in half, plus 2 DDs, 1FT, and 1 CT from one side, and 2 DDs and 2 CLs from the other side, along with a single warp point.)

Side A goal: Either fight off the opponent's ships or fall back through the warp point on the half map.

Side A forces:
1 x Washington Class Space Cruiser DD-[3]-SSSAAAH(I)MgQ(I)RRYQLD(I)(I)(I)-[5] (Kennedy)
1 x Gagarin Class Explorer CT-[2]-SSAH(I)HMg(I)RYQX(I)-[6] (Bering)
1 x Foch Class Military Spaceship DD-[3]-SSSAAAH(I)(I)MgQ(I)RRYQRD(I)(I)-[5] (Rommel)
1 x Japanese Transport FT2-[2]-S*A*HHHHH(I)L*QHH(I) (Suzuki Maru)

Notes:
-Each ship contains holds, which contain extra life support commodities, repair parts, and other items. It represents the deep space exploration nature of the human forces, allowing them to operate far from bases at Earth. This system is destroyed as a normal system on the ship, and has no effect on the tactical battle in this scenario.
-If the first scenario was not played, or the records are not available, assume the Lincoln was the only survivor, and assign ten points of damage to her, marking off systems from left to right. Then, repair the ship as noted above.
-The Transport uses special rules. The three systems with asterisks each take one point of damage, instead of the normal 1 point destroys two systems method that Freighters use. In addition, the Laser system is a "souped-up" mining laser, modified to have a combat usage. However, the jury-rigged design is fragile. After each shot, roll a die. If a nine or ten is rolled, the laser has malfunctioned and is no longer functional, though it is still eligible to be destroyed from weapon damage.
-Any ships surviving the first scenario need to get to General Quarters to be ready to fight.in this scenario However, with the repairs and other issues the ships have, that is an unpredictable process. On the first turn of the scenario, the surviving ships cannot use any offensive weapons, or maneuver, though their I drives can be operational. On the second turn, right before rolling initiative, Side A's player rolls a die for each ship that survived. If he rolls a 1-2 for any surviving ship, the ship can come to general quarters and acts normally. On the third turn, the roll needed to come to GQ is 1-4, and so on, until, on the sixth turn, the surviving ships can automatically come to GQ and use weapons.

Side B goal: Destroy Side A's ships before they leave the map.

Side B forces:
2 x '!Xibrat! Protection Vessel DD-[3]-S(6xA)(I)Q(I)R(I)RYQFD(I)(I)-[5] (Kubri'!, Horbii')
2 x '!Xibrat! Heavy Protection Vessel CL-[3]-SS(7xA)(II)QMg(I)RFQ(II)RYFQFD(I)-[4] ('!Tchoaf, '!Roaf)

Notes:
-If the first scenario was not played, or the records are not available, assume one of the DDs was the only survivor, and assign ten points of damage to it, marking off systems from left to right. Then, repair the ship as noted above.

Set-up:
Use one and one-half of the Quick-start maps. Place them side by side, such that one of the shorter sides of one map matches up with one of the shorter sides of the other map, forming them into a long, thin board. Place the warp point in the center of the half map.

Place Side A's (Earth's) forces first, and only on the whole map. Any ships from the first scenario are placed in a hex at least 10 hexes from the closer edge of the whole map, and at least ten hexes from either side, and the Japanese Transport should be stacked with one of them. If no ships survived, place the Transport in the same fashion by itself. The European and American warships should be placed within ten hexes of the Transport/surviving ship stack. Finally, the Russian scout should be placed ten hexes from the opposite edge of the map. Ships may have any heading.

Place Side B's forces next. All ships must be placed on the side of the map opposite Side A's deployments, in the first row of hexes on the whole map. The ships must be within five hexes of each other. and no closer than ten hexes to the Earth scoutship. They may choose any heading.

Special Rules:
-Any surviving ships from the First Scenario may be repaired. Assume the ship can repair all Shields. One Armor system can also be repaired. The ship then can repair other systems based on the number of spaces those systems take up--Destroyers can repair 3 spaces worth of systems (for example, three I systems, or a D system and an additional Armor), while Corvettes can repair 2 spaces worth of systems (for example, an I system and an Armor). In addition, the Japanese transport allows 3 more spaces of repair to be accomplished, split as desired between the surviving ships. Surviving ships from the first battle should use the same record, with the repaired systems either erased and rewritten, or written above the line of ship's systems. When in combat, repaired systems are destroyed as normal, with already destroyed systems simply being skipped. (For example, a ship might look like this: SSSAxxx(I)xRxR(I)QL(I)--when it takes damage, mark off the systems as you normally would, skipping the already destroyed systems. If a laser hit this ship and did 2 points of damage, it would destroy the single point of Armor, and then the (I) surrounded by small "x"es. Another 2 point laser hit would destroy both "R" systems, ignoring the damaged system between them.)

-Ships from Side B may withdraw only from their side of the board. Ships from Side A may only withdraw through the warp point. Withdrawn ships may not re-enter combat.

-Each surviving Earth ship able to withdraw from the board generates 2 points for Side A. Each alien ship destroyed generates 1 point for Side A
-Each Earth ship totally destroyed generates 2 points for Side B. Each alien ship able to withdraw or surviving until all Earth ships withdraw generates 1 point for Side B.

Revision notes: I added a half map, and put the warp point on the map (on the half map), instead of implying that it was off the map. The victory points are rewired so that the Earth side gets more points for getting ships away from the battle and less points for destroying the aliens.
Last edited by thesmith4 on Wed 30 Oct 2013 11:34, edited 1 time in total.

--Howard
thesmith4
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thesmith4 on Wed 30 Oct 2013 09:39

Quick Start Campaign, Scenario Three: Defense of the Colonies (Uses four maps as provided in the quick start rules download, plus at least 2 DDs, 2 CT, and 2 BS1s from one side, and at least 2 DDs and 2 CLs from the other side, along with a single warp point and two planets.)

Side A goal: Defend both colonies.

Side A forces:
Surviving forces (less the Transport) from the second scenario (all ships have been repaired completely), plus,
1 x Washington Class Space Cruiser DD-[3]-SSSAAAH(I)MgQ(I)RRYQLD(I)(I)(I)-[5] (Jefferson)
1 x Columbus Class Explorer CT-[2]-SSAAHMgRY(I)Q(I)X(I)-[6] (Magellan)
1 x Zhukov Class Military Spaceship DD-[3]- SSAAAAH(I)MgQ(I)RLYQLD(I)(I)(I)-[5] (Guderian)
1 x Armstrong Class Space Explorer CT-[2]-SSAAH(I)MgRYQX(I)(I)-[6] (Lewis and Clark)
3 x Dragon’s Tooth Interceptors ES-[2]SSA(I)QDL+(I)-[6] (Dragon’s Tooth, Raven’s Beak, Tiger’s Claw)
3 x Interceptor Type 2s ES-[2]SAMgG(I)QG(I)-[6] (Wolf Four, Wolf Five, Wolf Six)
2 x UN Orbital Station BS1-[0]SSSSAAAAHQMgR[HHHH]DRYDXQ-[0] (Hope, Faith)

Notes:
-Each ship (except the Interceptors) contains holds, which contain extra life support commodities, repair parts, and other items. It represents the deep space exploration nature of the human forces, allowing them to operate far from bases at Earth. This system is destroyed as a normal system on the ship, and has no effect on the tactical battle in this scenario.
-The base station holds are destroyed in the same way freighter holds are destroyed--one point of damage destroys two "H" systems. If a single "H" system with a non-hold system behind it is hit by damage (for example a surviving H from the (4xH) sections), then only the single "H" is destroyed. Another point of damage must destroy the next, non-hold system.
-If the second scenario was not played, or the records are not available, assume the Lincoln and the Bering were the only survivors. Consider them completely repaired prior to battle.

Side B goal: Inflict damage on one or both colonies, and the orbital stations at each colony.

Side B forces:
Surviving forces from the first scenario (All survivors have been completely repaired.), plus,

Notes:
-If the second scenario was not played, or the records are not available, assume one of the CLs and one of the DDs survived the combat, and add them to the Side B forces.

Set-up:
Use four of the Quick-start maps. Put them together such that all four join at a corner, so that they form a large, rectangular map. Arrange the board so that one shorter side faces one player and the other shorter side faces the other player. Place the warp point in the center of one of the shorter sides, five hexes in from the side. Place the planets 8 hexes from the corners of the other shorter side (one per corner).

Place Side A's (Earth's) forces first. Ships may be placed as follows, though at any of these locations: within 5 hexes of either world, or in a five hex wide area anywhere on the board, grouped together. (i.e., one ship could be at each world, and the remainder grouped as a fleet somewhere else, for example) Each planet has a BS1 in orbit, placed one hex from the planet in any direction. Ships may have any heading.

Side B’s ships enter from the warp point. They may choose any heading.

Special Rules:

-Ships from Side B may withdraw only from Warp Point. Ships from Side A may only withdraw from their side of the map (the short side closer to the planets). Ships that withdraw may not reenter combat, but are not considered destroyed.
-Treat the planets as normal (though unmoving, unarmed, unshielded, and unarmored) ships for combat—they may be targeted by weapons, and if successfully hit, the weapons do their normal damage to the planet (the same amount of damage they’d do to a shielded, engine-possessing ship).

-Each ‘!Xibrati! DD destroyed gives the Earth 2 points, and each CL is worth 3 points
-For every 5 points of damage on either planet, the ‘!Xibrati! earn a point. Each Earth ship (other than the interceptors) destroyed gives the ‘!Xibrati! 1 point. Each base destroyed also gives the ‘!Xibrati! 1 point.

The player with the larger amount of victory points is the winner of this scenario. If you’ve played all three scenarios, total the Earth and ‘!Xibrati! victory points—whoever has the most is the campaign winner!

(Keep track of both players' ship conditions and victory points for use in the next scenario, the “Second Battle of Alpha Centauri”--surviving ships will be participating! Yes, the ‘!Xibrati! will be back! But humanity will be ready!)

I'm expecting that I'm going to have to tinker with this one to either make things clearer, or to make changes that will help playability. Just let me know!

--Howard
thesmith4
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Wed 30 Oct 2013 10:24

very cool. I'm going to have to play your scenarios. I'll let you know how it goes.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Elminster on Thu 31 Oct 2013 01:04

thesmith4 wrote:3 x Dragon’s Tooth Interceptors ES-[2]SSA(I)QDL+(I)-[6] (Dragon’s Tooth, Raven’s Beak, Tiger’s Claw)

Oh no no no, the name "Tiger's Claw" is reserved for a carrier type unit. No other unit type has the right to use it. :ugeek:

Who knows what I'm talking about? 8-)
In memory of Gary Gygax
In memory of Leonard Nimoy
In memory of Christopher Lee

In memory of Albert Einstein
E = MC^2 + 1d10
Elminster
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to General