Starfire Facebook Group

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Starfire Facebook Group

Postby mcb1968 on Sat 12 Oct 2013 06:27

Hello all,
I have started a Starfire FB group to complement the fan page. You can find it here..
https://www.facebook.com/groups/518441601575446/
mcb1968
Commander
Commander

Re: Starfire Facebook Group

Postby Cralis on Sun 13 Oct 2013 23:30

I was going to post the other day that I posted this to our news and FB page. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you and let you know!
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby mcb1968 on Mon 14 Oct 2013 17:16

8-)

I understand busy
mcb1968
Commander
Commander

Postby mcb1968 on Sat 26 Oct 2013 16:14

Did a big push out for the group today and added about 14 new members.
mcb1968
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Sun 27 Oct 2013 01:25

mcb1968 wrote:Did a big push out for the group today and added about 14 new members.

Wow. I just went out and found your group again and requested to join it.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby southwestforests on Wed 16 Dec 2015 16:04

Back in July (2015) a couple of what I'll term farce book fubars locked me out on each of 2 accounts.

The first one involved their something called Malware Checkpoint. The almost 2000 unhappy comments here will give you the idea, https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook ... 333195766/ All I'll say is that I eventually gave up trying to convince FB that 5 different antimalware programs in this box kept coming up empty while even though FB kept insisting they had found malware in my PC. And the somewhat unreliable (at the time) program FB was extorting me to download was in no way going to be allowed in this box.
And, fascinatingly, got the same you can't log in because we found malware in this computer message at the public library - on the same computer other people before and after me were just fine getting on FB with. Interesting. Quite interesting.
And if FB had indeed found malware in my computer - malware no one else was able to find - just exactly how deeply was FB digging around in the depths of my machine????????????????????? :evil:

The second one involved them suddenly wanting my photo ID before they would let me back in that account.
No, not going to do that. Ever. For any reason. https://www.facebook.com/help/159096464162185 As it happened, can't anyway since the required Flash no longer supports Vista 64 bit, just the 32 bit version. And ... after the above I was not in a mood friendly to Zuckerberg et al.

I'm gone from FB. After a few months thought about going back, no, I'm done with them.
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Commander
Commander

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Postby Cralis on Wed 16 Dec 2015 16:53

Wow, don't blame you one bit. It's amazing at the kinds of things that people let these companies get away with. Primarily because of nimby... it didn't happen to me, so why should I care?

My more recent beefs have been with all the spyware masquerading as "customer experience improvements" and "compatibility upgrades" that Microsoft is trying to force down everyone's throat. They've gone as far as installing without permission.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby southwestforests on Wed 16 Dec 2015 19:16

There are places and people I miss, but what price will one pay (I pay)to maintain contact?
Unrelated thought, I still need to buy the minis I said I would. Was on Shapeways today browsing them.
Related thought. Google Plus has yet to pull many FB-style stunts. I started account there a couple years ago but did little with it until July. It works rather differently from FB, though. They are currently making what they are billing as improvements, we shall see if they actually improve the experience.

the antimalware program FB was demanding I download, where the early PR about their malware thing spoke frequently of user choice, was unknown to me
So I went an looked it up.
Found this, and thought, Oh, really, FB???? You can't tell me that you people do not know this program has issues.
"Cons Very difficult installation on several test systems. Scan process rendered one system unbootable, requiring over a week to repair. No URL-level blocking of malicious websites.
Bottom Line
If you can guarantee you're installing it on a clean PC, F-Secure Anti-Virus 2014 can be a great choice. However, getting it to install and scan already-infested systems was a nightmare.
"
Note: article now covers newer version, which seems to have been improved http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2425112,00.asp
At this point I trust Facebook about as far as I'd trust a Rigelian promoting diversity rallies.
(now, thinking of it, I'm the kind of person who if I could be invisible would like to break in to a Rigelian CV and put 'Coexist' bumper stickers on all the fighters)
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Commander
Commander

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Postby Xveers on Wed 16 Dec 2015 22:32

Speaking as a long time G+ user, I find it to be the kind of social platform I want. I have positive control on who sees what I post, and I can filter and manage who is where and in what groups. It looks "quiet" mainly because people share between groups and don't make a lot of posts public. Overall I've been quite pleased with their commitment to running a non-invasive service.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby mcb1968 on Sun 20 Dec 2015 18:00

I have a lot invested in FB as both a user and an admin. Its my preferred method of online contact and networking. I don't often get to company boards and have no interest in developing a presence on another social network unless and until the community as a whole seems to shift.

My frustration has been all things yahoo. The mail has gotten clunky and good luck trying to navigate their groups.
mcb1968
Commander
Commander

Next

Return to General