What are all the versions of SF?

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: What are all the versions of SF?

Postby Cralis on Mon 15 Feb 2016 22:08

aramis wrote:
Cralis wrote:
aramis wrote:And Galactic changed the coding of ship systems. All later editions use the revised coding. It also reduced emphasis on the tactical game; all later SDS editions do as well.

I'm curious why you say that the code changes reduced the emphasis on the tactical game?

I didn't; reread what I wrote. I noted the two happened at the same time, not that they are interrelated.

Ahhh! That makes more sense. For a moment I thought I was going to get a paradigm shift in how to view system codes :lol:

GSF and USF didn't have scenario books or a background so I can see why you'd say that they have a reduced emphasis on the tactical game. I'm hoping that once we can get some of that out for SSF, that we can alleviate some of the discontinuity of that sort.

Now, to get rid of the demands of a day job and more time to work on Starfire...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Morpheus on Tue 16 Feb 2016 01:37

aramis wrote:And Galactic changed the coding of ship systems. All later editions use the revised coding. It also reduced emphasis on the tactical game; all later SDS editions do as well.

Maybe that is why I keep going back to playing Classic. I'm much more interested in playing out tactical/operational scenarios than playing out a long campaign. Probably because with Classic it is very easy to pull some ships together or design your own and play a quick scenario.

I am curious though, are there other features that entered in the releases of Galactic/Ultra/Solar (other than the lack of a formal history, fleet listings, and scenarios like ISW1-4 for example) that make them less conducive to strictly tactical play?
Morpheus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Tue 16 Feb 2016 02:52

Morpheus wrote:I am curious though, are there other features that entered in the releases of Galactic/Ultra/Solar (other than the lack of a formal history, fleet listings, and scenarios like ISW1-4 for example) that make them less conducive to strictly tactical play?

I can give you two perspectives from the last two versions:

ULTRA STARFIRE was designed for PVP play from the beginning. It has probably the most equally balanced combat system out of any version, with almost every combination of weapons and engines a viable option. So if you like doing BYO scenarios in versus-style combat (often called arena-style matches), this would be a good version to try. What it lacks is an official history and any context for the systems and rules... and of course, no scenarios in books for easy setup and play.

SOLAR STARFIRE has the most "living" tactical combat system. We are streamlining the rules so the same mechanics apply across the same situations (for example, changing sensor degradation and enhancement as a +/- generations instead of hard numbers) and fixed some of the categorical oversights. While it is fairly robust and we are going to continue adding new technologies, it is still being worked on and there are not yet any real scenarios for it or the planned background history. It is in the process of becoming the most mature of all the tactical combat versions, and the players testing and suggesting improvements for it will only help make it better (As opposed to the other versions which will never change from what they are now). The background and scenarios will come.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby aramis on Sat 20 Feb 2016 16:25

Morpheus wrote:

Maybe that is why I keep going back to playing Classic. I'm much more interested in playing out tactical/operational scenarios than playing out a long campaign. Probably because with Classic it is very easy to pull some ships together or design your own and play a quick scenario.

I am curious though, are there other features that entered in the releases of Galactic/Ultra/Solar (other than the lack of a formal history, fleet listings, and scenarios like ISW1-4 for example) that make them less conducive to strictly tactical play?

It's certainly much less time consuming to grab SAW and set up a system level battle than to get to intersting battles in a campaign game. (Especially with the "Turn 1: 100 Es1's through WP 1" mode of many campaigns.)

I've not been able to interest anyone locally in playing campaigns of New Empires nor ISF since 1992.
Every play of Starfire since 1992 I've done has been tactical-only.
Half of those were "pick HT, Pick budget."
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Previous

Return to General