Nukesnipe's Miniatures

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Nukesnipe's Miniatures

Postby southwestforests on Mon 13 Feb 2017 08:54

Cralis wrote:That and apparently I can't paint a straight stripe to save my life.

Try these? They also have solid color sheets which panels and stripes may be cut from.
http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=MD&Category_Code=STRIPES&Product_Code=&Search=&Sort_By=newest&Per_Page=-1
They also have lettering in several fonts & some sheets with quite tiny letters if you might wish to add hull numbers or something.
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Commander
Commander

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Postby Otterman on Mon 13 Feb 2017 12:30

Would someone be so kind as to post some sample freighter designs? I'm sort of rusty on the proportions of guts to 'H' for the smaller hull types.
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby Otterman on Mon 13 Feb 2017 12:35

And regarding the FG, did we ever achieve group consensus on the shape of a TFN FG? I could make a smaller spherical version of the DD, but it smacks of cheating.
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby nukesnipe on Mon 13 Feb 2017 12:58

Otterman wrote:And regarding the FG, did we ever achieve group consensus on the shape of a TFN FG? I could make a smaller spherical version of the DD, but it smacks of cheating.

"Cheating" is a time-honored tradition in ship building, so feel no shame. After all, our Aegis cruisers were built on a modified SPRUANCE-class hull form. The NIMITZ CVNs were modified KITTY HAWKS. Our OSPREY-class MHCs were a stretched version of an Italian design.

Seriously, I'd probably be confused if a Terran FG wasn't a smaller version of the Terran DD.... :D
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Captain
Captain

Postby Otterman on Mon 13 Feb 2017 13:00

(Reviews various scanned images, TFN calendar)
Spherical it is!

Incidentally, Cresson is about an hour away from Coppell. If you're in ever the neighborhood, we can sip tequila together. It's mandatory! You can also meet the refulgent Yen, who looks something like this:

Image[/URL]
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Mon 13 Feb 2017 13:06

Otterman wrote:Would someone be so kind as to post some sample freighter designs? I'm sort of rusty on the proportions of guts to 'H' for the smaller hull types.

I would point out that the artwork from Jack has FG designs in it that, while spherical, have a different tail pattern than his DD designs.

It also has a new cruiser design... light cruisers maybe? I don't think there is anything wrong with multiple models for the same race and hull size :)

EDIT: I missed your saying that you referred to the artwork in the calendar... beat me to it!
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby nukesnipe on Mon 13 Feb 2017 13:06

Otterman wrote:Would someone be so kind as to post some sample freighter designs? I'm sort of rusty on the proportions of guts to 'H' for the smaller hull types.

Is this what you are looking for? I'm pretty sure they are all legal.

FT1 Qvx7HQa[ica][Ica] 12HS
FT1 Hx8Qa[ica][Ica] 12HS

FT3 Hx23[Ice][Ice][Ice]Qa 30HS
FT3 HQvx18[Icb][Icb][Icb]Qa 26HS

FF (AC)Sx5Ax4ZaH(Bsa)Qa[Ia][Ia][Ia][Ia]QaFb 22HS
Last edited by nukesnipe on Mon 13 Feb 2017 13:15, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Captain
Captain

Postby nukesnipe on Mon 13 Feb 2017 13:10

Otterman wrote:(Reviews various scanned images, TFN calendar)
Spherical it is!

Incidentally, Cresson is about an hour away from Coppell. If you're in ever the neighborhood, we can sip tequila together. It's mandatory! You can also meet the refulgent Yen, who looks something like this:

Image[/URL]

One of my favorite game stores in the metroplex is in Coppell: Roll 2 Play. I don't get up there much, but at one time that was the closest place I could purchase Reaper paints. The lady who runs the store is really nice.
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Captain
Captain

Postby Otterman on Mon 13 Feb 2017 13:42

I've noticed that store during my travels, but never gone in. I should! It's about 2 miles from my house.

Thanks for the freighter designs. Seems a good rule of thumb is that about 2/3 of the volume should be holds.

Here's Yen's true form:

Image[/URL]
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby nukesnipe on Wed 12 Apr 2017 07:34

So, I have this crazy idea to play my way through all the Starfire I and II scenarios with miniatures. I seemed to remember those scenarios being pretty small...

...then I started counting up what's needed.. Scenario 10 of Starfire I has 4 of everything, SD down to ES for the TFN and KON, along with one each SD, BB and CA and 2 each DD down to ES for the Ophiuchi. Never mind the fact I need to purchase another 6 FTs.

Cralis the Candyman did this to me on purpose. He know's I'm mildly OCD and a compulsive collector. He lured me in and got me hooked. "I plan on having each miniature represent a data group", he said. Like that would ever fly with an OCD compulsive collector.

Now, I'm strung out shaking with the DTs waiting for the next 20% off sale at Shapeways and pining for some TFN small units.

I hate you, Cralis. :P
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to General