Largest battle

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Largest battle

Postby Whitecold on Fri 24 Jul 2015 23:40

So, just out of curiosity: What is the largest starfire battle you played out, and how long did you need?
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Largest battle

Postby dazrand on Sat 25 Jul 2015 19:11

Asked before, but not many answers: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2294&start=10&hilit=the+wall

For me it was Operation Distant Howl, also known as the Battle of the Wall. Allied forces where:

6100 drones
7 DN
28 BB
60 BC
7 CA
27 CL
40 DD
44 FG
127 CT

Everything transited the warp point, never even got an Omega Drone back.

We did statistical damage, didn't bother with dice except for initiative. IIRC it took two days over a weekend via IM.
dazrand
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Sun 26 Jul 2015 22:37

I don't remember the details, but the largest multiplayer battle I participated in was a little over 200 ships. It took 4 evenings to finish the game. Largest ship was BB and no squadrons.

Man, that was back in the late '90s, when I had a local Starfire gaming group. Long time ago...

Largest single-player game? I don't even know. I know I tried a couple of the ISW4 scenarios and only finished one of them (and it turned out very different from the storyline).
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Whitecold on Wed 29 Jul 2015 00:15

My largest battle certainly can't compete with that. I introduced some friends to starfire in a 2 vs 2 with 5000MCr fleets each. It ended up with some 8CA, 4CL, 9DD, 7FG, 6CT and 4ES
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby nukesnipe on Wed 29 Jul 2015 05:29

I'd have to review the book, but I;'m pretty sure I played out all of the scenarios in The Stars at War solo during the 90s....

I played out the Nexus Magazine ISW4 scenarios way back when. I purchased the Galactic version (?) of ISW4, read through the scenarios and thought to myself "Nice read. No way in hell..."
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby LordKron on Wed 02 Sep 2015 09:53

Largest battle for me was my fleet of about 300 DD and CL assaulting a WP held by a swarm of about 1000 ships, the largest being FG size. It wasn't pretty watching my assault waves getting blown to atoms as soon as they made transit.
LordKron
Commander
Commander

Postby PracticalM on Fri 04 Sep 2015 23:01

Largest battle in a campaign that was run under the GSF rules ended up with 314 ships on the player side (BC, FG, CLs) (10,741 total hull spaces)

versus a J'Rill home fleet. 519 total J'Rill ships with only 106 being warships, but the XO racks on the factory ship destroyed 128 ships (3,936 hull spaces) in the first 2 turns. (37% of the player's hull spaces).
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Moonsword on Sat 05 Sep 2015 06:50

The largest battle - also the only battle - I've ever run was against a berserker. Two CAs, four CLs, and a half-dozen FGs against a single DN. The DN lost, hard, but the frigate group was basically wiped out and the cruisers took some serious lumps. Without the FGs as an ablative distraction, I suspect the DN's ability to focus on the cruisers the whole time would likely have made things much bloodier, or possibly have let it win outright.
Moonsword
Commander
Commander

Postby LordKron on Sat 05 Sep 2015 09:11

Not sure how that plays out in current versions due to multiple generations of offensive and defensive systems, but in Classic (original 3rd ed, not 3rdR), the squadron would have almost triple the HS, and the sheer number of targets would allow the squadron to sandpaper the DN to scrap.
LordKron
Commander
Commander

Postby SCC on Mon 07 Sep 2015 01:36

Moonsword wrote:The largest battle - also the only battle - I've ever run was against a berserker. Two CAs, four CLs, and a half-dozen FGs against a single DN. The DN lost, hard, but the frigate group was basically wiped out and the cruisers took some serious lumps. Without the FGs as an ablative distraction, I suspect the DN's ability to focus on the cruisers the whole time would likely have made things much bloodier, or possibly have let it win outright.

Please tell me you at least got scan data out of that
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Next

Return to General