Largest battle

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Largest battle

Postby LordKron on Mon 07 Sep 2015 08:33

Scan data is potentially useful, but the time and cost to construct your own DN class ships might make it impractical for now.
LordKron
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Mon 07 Sep 2015 13:10

LordKron wrote:Scan data is potentially useful, but the time and cost to construct your own DN class ships might make it impractical for now.

Since it will allow you to build any hull up to DN, once you build the DN, it's worth prototyping the hull at least.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby LordKron on Mon 07 Sep 2015 15:18

That I can see. Prototype the hull, but don't install systems yet especially if you're potentially close to breakthroughs in things like engines and weapons trees.
LordKron
Commander
Commander

Postby Xveers on Mon 07 Sep 2015 15:19

LordKron wrote:That I can see. Prototype the hull, but don't install systems yet especially if you're potentially close to breakthroughs in things like engines and weapons trees.

Or just build the simplest legal ship. All empty hullspaces except for one engine room and one life support system.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby LordKron on Mon 07 Sep 2015 20:44

Not sure if I would go that far unless there was a potential need to protect an out system colony and building a BS would be problematic.
LordKron
Commander
Commander

Postby SCC on Mon 07 Sep 2015 22:03

I mucked up there, he should get Scan Data and Tech Item for everything onboard and the hull to re-fit as he pleases, that will give him a major leg up in non-EL research, meaning he can focus on economic expansion if he wants.

He also gets U4.03 stuff, now the berserker rules prohibit roles on Table U5A and Table U5C is not applicable which leaves Table U5B, meaning he may be able to get his hands on a few other hulls pretty easily, the whole thing does raise a question but:

The berserker section/rules say I get U4.03 stuff but not astro data (I'm pretty sure that's how the next paragraph works. Given that a berserker isn't going to be receiving messages from anyone that means the only information you're likely to get from it is the location of other berserkers, right? So how do people suggest they be generated?
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Mon 07 Sep 2015 23:20

SCC wrote:He also gets U4.03 stuff, now the berserker rules prohibit roles on Table U5A and Table U5C is not applicable which leaves Table U5B, meaning he may be able to get his hands on a few other hulls pretty easily, the whole thing does raise a question but:

The berserker section/rules say I get U4.03 stuff but not astro data (I'm pretty sure that's how the next paragraph works. Given that a berserker isn't going to be receiving messages from anyone that means the only information you're likely to get from it is the location of other berserkers, right? So how do people suggest they be generated?

What it says is that you can "loot the berserker ship under [U4.03]" and that's as clear as mud since you don't loot information, you loot ship systems and cargo. The next paragraph basically says you cannot retrieve ANY information from the unit and that's intentional for a number of reasons (not the least of which is to keep the SM from being forced to continually generate more berserkers OR give the player warning if there are more berserkers out there).

I think it was intended to mean that you can "loot the berserker ship under [U4.05]" ... meaning you can loot any systems aboard the ship for R&D purposes, with the exceptions noted.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby SCC on Tue 08 Sep 2015 03:44

Question that I forgot when asking before, does refitting the beserker hull for your own use count as prototyping?
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Tue 08 Sep 2015 13:08

SCC wrote:Question that I forgot when asking before, does refitting the beserker hull for your own use count as prototyping?

No. M1.03.4 states that prototyping a hull is building the hull. Refits are not builds.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Vandervecken on Tue 08 Sep 2015 18:39

A few turns ago my Railgib Empire ran into a Berserker, I was sooooo close to destroying it, Literally down to the last few items to kill it but I couldn't get my last two ship to ram it. If the battle had occurred in the Home system I probably would have made the rolls. Two turns later my other fleet made it to the system of battle. The berserker ship was gone and had retreated to/thru a system I had very little WP data on. I reinforced this fleet (and was feeling kinda smug due to simulations I played with the Berserker and this reinforced fleet). But GMs can be :twisted:

Never let a Berserker get away, never, EVER ! Especially with a :twisted: GM. My first clue should have been the Zb on the Berserker ship, but I thought It was only just there as a soak-off hit. Nope !

ON my next Negative Random Event (Approx. 8 or 9 turns later), guess what; my fleet just met a 'Pair' of those DNs coming thru A WP I was picketing. At least it isn't a full data-group of 3 Berserkers. My fleet decided to retreat, although the 3 picket ships were toast. This would have been the largest Battle I have played in 10 years but I RAN AWAY. Some battles from campaigns long turned to dust (2nd and 3rd editions) were bigger but they are just memories from three decades ago.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to General