Want to give this game a try, a few questions please?

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Want to give this game a try, a few questions please?

Postby bislab on Tue 19 Jan 2016 05:37

I found this site nearly a year ago and failed to bookmark it and forgot about it overtime. Rediscovered last night, my interest in the game is high again and I'd like to start from the beginning and work my way up. What is the best way to get Starfire I, II, III(is that out yet) and maybe the 2nd edition? I guess this is called the Legacy line? Thank you!
bislab
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Re: Want to give this game a try, a few questions please?

Postby LordKron on Tue 19 Jan 2016 09:39

Personally, I would go with the Legacy CD and get 2nd ed tactical + New Empires. Gives you multiple options for campaigns (I've run a hybrid of New Empires and Imperial Starfire) plus you can decide whether d10 or 2d6 suits you for dice rolls.
LordKron
Commander
Commander

Postby MamelonAndRavelin on Tue 19 Jan 2016 13:53

The cheapest way is the Solar Starfire demo rules. They're a nice, if limited, taster of what the tactical side of Solar Starfire is about.

For the legacy stuff, 2nd edition combines Starfire and Starfire II and cleans them up a bit so you don't need both. It includes all of the scenarios as well so you have a number of games to choose from. New Empires can always be added later for strategic play.
MamelonAndRavelin
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby Cralis on Tue 19 Jan 2016 19:24

bislab wrote:I found this site nearly a year ago and failed to bookmark it and forgot about it overtime. Rediscovered last night, my interest in the game is high again and I'd like to start from the beginning and work my way up. What is the best way to get Starfire I, II, III(is that out yet) and maybe the 2nd edition? I guess this is called the Legacy line? Thank you!

Honestly it depends upon your tastes and what you want to do with the game.

Do you want to play only tactical battles from scenario books? Right now the Classic Starfire (3rd edition) line has a series of scenario books based on the Starfire history written by David Weber. The first two editions of Starfire go back to a much simpler tactical game and include scenarios in the books, but we are still in the process of re-building and re-publishing the materials from those editions.

Do you like to play detailed strategy games interspersed with tactical starship combat? If you have visions of running every detail of a galaxy-spanning empire, then Starfire has it for you.

Classic Starfire has the original strategic game. The addition of the changes from Sky Marshal 2 has made great strides towards long-term playability. Ultra Starfire and Solar Starfire are comparable, but Ultra Starfire is balanced more for player vs. player strategic games (if you have a group to play with) and Solar Starfire, the newest edition, is based on Ultra Starfire but has been changed for the eventual inclusion of a new background history and story-based strategic games.

2nd edition does contain a simple set of strategic rules but most players tend to prefer one of the above.

If you'd like to read stories from players who have written about their strategic games, you should check out the Starfire Fiction forum at viewforum.php?f=11

The Legacy CD contains all of the materials we have re-published for the first three editions of the game. The Ultimate Starfire CD contains all of the electronic materials we have published for Galactic Starfire, Ultra Starfire, and Solar Starfire (the latest three editions). And the CDs also come with a lot of the older materials and everything we had on our downloads section up to the time we built the CD. If you need counters we have those as well. And if you need maps, right now they are available only by special order (email orders@starfiredesign.com for that).

So the question is: what kind of game do you want to play? And how detailed do you want to get? Do you just want to play scenarios and blow stuff up? Or do you have dreams of the monolithic conquest of the galaxy?

P.S. I don't know if you saw it on our forum links or not, but we also have miniatures and a Quick Start Miniature Rules download. You can get our miniatures at our Shapeways store at http://www.shapeways.com/shops/starfire

Another really new addition is that we've added a Zazzle store with products ranging from calendars to cell phone cases with new art from the original Starfire artist, Jack Southerland. You can check that out at http://www.zazzle.com/starfiredesignstu ... 9405792941
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby bislab on Tue 19 Jan 2016 20:30

I'm using my own setting, so I really don't need that. I'm looking for a simple(ish) space combat simulator for ship to ship or fleet to fleet combat. A trade/economic/empire system would be nice. I was thinking the earliest version of the game would give me that, but it looks like (from the replies) that 2nd edition was a polishing up of 1st edition and so maybe that should be my entry? The Legacy CD looks like a good compilation. Does that include 1st edition so I can see the evolution of the game?
bislab
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby Cralis on Tue 19 Jan 2016 21:08

bislab wrote:I'm using my own setting, so I really don't need that. I'm looking for a simple(ish) space combat simulator for ship to ship or fleet to fleet combat. A trade/economic/empire system would be nice. I was thinking the earliest version of the game would give me that, but it looks like (from the replies) that 2nd edition was a polishing up of 1st edition and so maybe that should be my entry? The Legacy CD looks like a good compilation. Does that include 1st edition so I can see the evolution of the game?

We have four products left to re-publish for the early editions:
Starfire III for 1st edition
Gorm-Khanate War for 2nd edition
Alkeda Dawn for 3rd edition
and First Contact for 3rd edition

Honestly, the Starfire system is very easy to modify, especially if all you are doing is adding new technologies and tweaking the rules for your own setting.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to General