Marvin asks...

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Marvin asks...

Postby Cralis on Thu 30 Aug 2018 22:49

I'm not joking! Earlier this evening I had a long discussion with Marvin about which products and direction we are taking after the release of the next version of Solar Starfire. He would like me to ask ya'll some questions.

1. How many of you have played scenarios in the last month? In the last year?

2. How many of you are playing a campaign within the last 30 days? In the last year?

3A. How many of you are playing (SM or Player) with other players? How many?

3B. To make sure that I don't double-count anyone, if any of the people you play with are on the forum, what is their username?

4. If you could have whatever new product you wanted for Starfire tomorrow, what would it be? (You can give multiple answers here)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Re: Marvin asks...

Postby Whitecold on Thu 30 Aug 2018 23:27

2/3) Still going on with my PBEM campaign with gunbunny, eoghanbtodd, gunbunny and theBard

4) Some quick to play scenarios using the full tech tree (compared to the quickstart scenarios), better/more consistent smallcraft/AP system, comprehensible ground combat rules, expanded tech tree around EL 20
Last edited by Whitecold on Fri 31 Aug 2018 11:17, edited 2 times in total.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby coldsteel on Fri 31 Aug 2018 09:31

Cralis wrote:I'm not joking! Earlier this evening I had a long discussion with Marvin about which products and direction we are taking after the release of the next version of Solar Starfire. He would like me to ask ya'll some questions.

1. How many of you have played scenarios in the last month? In the last year?
Played the QSR-miniatures scenario 1 2 years ago at Tokyo in Tulsa... Otherwise none.

Cralis wrote:2. How many of you are playing a campaign within the last 30 days? In the last year?
In the middle of a 3rdR solo again.

Cralis wrote:3A. How many of you are playing (SM or Player) with other players? How many?
I wish... lol

Cralis wrote:3B. To make sure that I don't double-count anyone, if any of the people you play with are on the forum, what is their username?

Cralis wrote:4. If you could have whatever new product you wanted for Starfire tomorrow, what would it be? (You can give multiple answers here)
Not to sound like an ass but a revamped 3rdR system, like the old URD was gonna be back in the day... Also some computer-supported system other than Shipyard or just Excel files.
Last edited by coldsteel on Thu 06 Sep 2018 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
TFN: 1 BB, 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 11 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Commander
Commander

Postby southwestforests on Fri 31 Aug 2018 18:18

What I can do and what I want to do have recently diverged even further.
I want to support the continuing Starfire endeavor but my ability to do so has taken even more damage.
:cry:
The collection of neurological, endocrine, and musculoskeletal, diseases may well right now be in the process of ending my model and miniature making and painting days. Last week I gave some partly done things back to their owners at model train club because I don't know when or if I will be able to finish them. And seriously reducing my ability to work on my sci-fi/fantasy story. And within the last week detrimentally impacting my ability to simply hold on to the steering wheel to drive.
:evil:

For about a decade now the ability to focus enough to even play these games has been reduced; and lately may have declined a bit more.
Been ages since I have played.
A couple weeks ago thought about opening up the boxes to pass some time lazily having a couple ships engage each other in a skirmish; or at lest cobble together some interesting ship layouts, but my concentration wasn't up to even that.

Something I would like to buy, though expecting it to not have a demand level supporting production, is a real book on paper of ship and small craft 5 view drawings and perspective art. I guess maybe call it sort of a "recognition manual' type thing?
Not that such a publication would legitimately be needed 'in universe' as engagement distances are often/usually beyond, well beyond, visual range. (or maybe it's merely an autism thing that I have this pull toward airplane/train/ship/rocket plans printed on paper?)

Well, there's that for whatever value it might have. Perhaps I babbled too much, perhaps not.
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Commander
Commander

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Postby aramis on Sat 01 Sep 2018 08:45

In the last year, I've played 1 tactical scenario using 3E.
I've no interest in running/playing the campaign game of any edition at present, except for scenario-book style play - i've got a like new copy of SAW, but my willing victim joined the military and disappeared.

The "new product" I dream of is essentially 1E SF & SF II upgraded to d10's, and dropping the half-points. Almost purely a tactical game.
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby VX-134 on Sun 02 Sep 2018 02:18

1. None in the last month. I've played 4 scenarios in the last year that I can remember (all old 2nd edition scenarios - some from Nexus).

2. No campaigns in the the last 30 days. In the Spring I got seven or eight turns into a campaign based on second edition rules to test some ideas for a simplified campaign system.

3A. Everything was solo play. I want to introduce both the tactical and campaign system to some of my friends but want to finalize a simplified campaign system first.

3B. No one I know has ever played Starfire so they are not on the forum.

4. Here’s my list:

A simplified campaign system with a more 1st edition feel (1st edition fleet sizes, simplified record keeping, reasonable playing time).

Products that mimic the format of the old pocket games in which each module had a mix of new rules, new history, and new scenarios.

A product that continues 1st edition history even if that means expunging the background Weber added to the game or changing the names of the empires to avoid confusion with Weber’s novels. I prefer this option to creating an entirely new background.
VX-134
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby eoghantodd on Thu 06 Sep 2018 10:16

1. I did one scenario teaching some folks, using the QSR.

2. Playing in whitecold's PBEM game. I was running a PBEM game but ran into some knowledge base hurdles; the full campaign rules were daunting for my players who were most interested in the roleplay possibilities and conflict than counting credits.

3. Still have all the files to restart the campaign I was running when I manage to bang together some simplified campaign rules.

4. I would most enjoy and use some sort of simplified campaign rules. Rather than all the detail...some. Like Having X points to spend, a small number, and making some choices. Like, being able to have up to X cost of ships for 1 campaign point, being able to do 5 or 6 research projects for a couple points, and so forth. Being able to do that part of a campaign game on a 3x5 card. That would break down the barrier to introducing people to the game in my group.
eoghantodd
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby nukesnipe on Thu 06 Sep 2018 10:47

I haven't played in ages. The last "campaign" I played was a Starfire Online game which is based on Ultra rules.

When I do play, I play solo. I've tried on several occasions to start a solo campaign, but I've never been able to figure out how to use the spreadsheets others have so graciously created and haven't had time to create a computer aide.

I have lately been studying the first edition rules and how they might be merged with the Victory By Any Means (VBAM) campaign overlay. It looks like it could be a viable marriage of the two systems: Starfire for tactical and VBAM for strategic. Starfire tech levels would merge in nicely with VBAM's tech years if one substitutes Starfire systems for VBAM's ship classes.

So, I guess what I'd wish for is a simplified campaign system that doesn't require one to be a CPA to play.
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby coldsteel on Thu 06 Sep 2018 14:53

nukesnipe wrote:So, I guess what I'd wish for is a simplified campaign system that doesn't require one to be a CPA to play.

Like Admiral's Challenge?
TFN: 1 BB, 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 11 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Commander
Commander

Postby VX-134 on Thu 06 Sep 2018 18:27

coldsteel wrote:
nukesnipe wrote:So, I guess what I'd wish for is a simplified campaign system that doesn't require one to be a CPA to play.

Like Admiral's Challenge?

Admiral’s Challenge was flawed. I think it could easily be fixed but I’m not sure other players would be willing to give it a second chance without rebranding.

If SDS does go forward with offering a new simplified campaign system I think it would be advantageous for it to be a standalone product. In other words, it should include a set of tactical rules and, in addition to the typical "new empires" style scenario, it should also include a Gorm-Khanate War style historical campaign that allows a player to use the new campaign system in an already established universe on the brink of war. This would make the product less "vanilla" and give new players a better sense of the kind of universe the simplified campaign system is capable of creating.
VX-134
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Next

Return to General