Merry Holidays and Happy Christmas!

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Merry Holidays and Happy Christmas!

Postby Cralis on Fri 21 Dec 2018 15:00

Howdy everyone... I couldn’t resist the jingle above. Where I work there are some people who don’t like the holiday season and someone posted on the pinboard “I don’t want to see Merry Christmas again!” ... so someone pinned a printed-out greeting card that said “Merry Holidays and a Happy Christmas to you!”

I might have to post that on the malicious compliance Reddit. :D

Anyway... I’ve been out a lot over the last few weeks, making me dreadfully behind for this month. This is going to be the first weekend I will be home all weekend and I will be catching up. But I wanted to say that I’m also going to be posting the start of an old promise I made to reboot a story line and get back into writing. While its hard to do real Starfire work (such as working on the rules) while away from home, I’ve discovered that I can use my phone’s speech-to-text functionality like a dictation device! I can speak the rough draft of a story and them edit it when I get back home.

I realize that some of you are rolling your eyes right now. That’s ok, because I’m happy that I am going to be able to do something I’ve wanted and said that I was going to do and using time that doesn’t interfere with the regular Starfire work I need to do.

I’ll be putting up the first part this next weekend.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Re: Merry Holidays and Happy Christmas!

Postby nukesnipe on Fri 21 Dec 2018 16:15

:roll:
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Wed 26 Dec 2018 00:55

An update: I am caught up with orders. I found two orders that were dreadfully behind and they’ve been corrected. And I’ve gotten the books caught up. Tomorrow I will be sending out emails to our partners with a surprise or two...

The first part of the story for this weekend was just edited, so I may post it early.

And now I’m looking at finally getting some internal stuff pushed out. The price changes for Shapeways has been delayed a month (it will now happen Jan 31st) so I don’t need to push that as hard, and that has allowed me to get this other stuff done...

If I’ve missed anyone on the orders, let me know.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby nukesnipe on Wed 26 Dec 2018 10:04

Cralis,

When you find yourself tweaking Shapeways prices, is there any chance of setting up datagroup packages for those minis that are currently only sold as singles?

Thanks!
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Wed 26 Dec 2018 11:19

nukesnipe wrote:When you find yourself tweaking Shapeways prices, is there any chance of setting up datagroup packages for those minis that are currently only sold as singles?

We’d been working on that for a while. It requires a new model file... there is no way to say “this times three” for example. The restriction we ran into before now was size... our larger ships as a datagroup simply exceeded the maximum space per print for plastics.

But that was then.

Under the new pricing there is ZERO benefit to an unconnected group of three ships. It costs the same as three single ships. So we are having to go back and attach the models to a sprue. What was taking so long is experimenting with sprues to see what works, as they will apparently trash can a print where the sprue breaks. And it is taking forever... I’ve been waiting 4-5 weeks now for the test prints because I refuse to pay the new “expedite” fee that is twice the cost of a single cruiser mini (it is per order, but still...)

The good news is that the new datagroups cost even less... in some cases with the better plastics, the cost is less than the cost now.

So the short answer is “absolutely, we are working on it”
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby nukesnipe on Thu 27 Dec 2018 15:48

Cralis,

Thanks for the update. I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to 3d printing and Shapeways.

Oh, I received my latest orders of minis yesterday. Stashed them in the garage cabinet before The Wife noticed.... ;)
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Return to General