PBEM game?

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

PBEM game?

Postby ohms_law on Sat 09 May 2020 17:55

Hello everyone!

Is there anyone running a PBEM game?
Any interest in setting something up?
ohms_law
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Re: PBEM game?

Postby Kumakunshu on Sun 10 May 2020 02:36

Yes I am interested.

I've never done a PBEM before so a few words no how you would go about this would be appreciated.
Kumakunshu
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Antares on Sun 10 May 2020 10:40

I have been trying to start one recently... I have two brand new players who have been talking about joining. It's been a long time for me, so I am also doing what I can to relearn the rules.

What kind of experience do you guys have, and what are you looking for in a game. Are you looking to start a game, or play?
Antares
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby Antares on Sun 10 May 2020 10:42

Kumakunshu wrote:Yes I am interested.

I've never done a PBEM before so a few words no how you would go about this would be appreciated.

Strategically, it would be turns submitted and turn results emailed back and forth... when you encounter other ships, the encounter can either be played out tactically or the GM can fiat what happened based on SOP's.

In the game that I have been setting up, we are probably going to be using Tabletop Simulator for tactical battles.
Antares
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby ohms_law on Sun 10 May 2020 12:11

The last time I played was in the late 80's, with the original rules. I've always loved this game, though. Just bought the Solar edition last week, and have been reading through it. I'd really like to play, even though I know that I'll suck! :)

...maybe I could set up a website to make things easier. Just spitballing a little, here.
Tabetop sim would certainly be useful too!
ohms_law
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby Antares on Sun 10 May 2020 14:14

OK, so to make things official... I'll run a game... my two (local) friends are new to Solar... one of them hasn't played since the 80s or so (which is pretty much my situation as well, but I'm getting back into it now), and the other has never played. We also have a few from the discord channel as well who might join us.

The game will probably be slow... will try to get in a turn every other week or so... so maybe a one week turnaround. If anyone feels that it too fast, let me know. It also will be on a somewhat smaller universe, so we won't get to very high techs.

What kind of web site are we talking about? I wasn't thinking that we needed anything much more than email and a place to play tactical battles. For the latter, I am going to use Tabletop Simulator to play them out... unless some folks do not have it.

If interested in my game... please reply here with an "I'm in" or somesuch.

I will post a list of optional rules that we will / won't use at some point.

Questions?
Antares
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby PracticalM on Sun 10 May 2020 15:34

Which rule set?
I recommend against home rules but deciding on which optional rules are good. Unless you have a home rule around making ships more expensive so fleets don't get out of hand.
I would check out the Vassel modules which are free and a bit lighter weight than Tabletop sim which goes too far in being a physical environment.
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Antares on Sun 10 May 2020 15:44

I will be using Solar... and TTS. I know it's not free, but it is the one I know how to use already.

We won't be getting into tactical situtions anytime in the next month or two though.

I will be keeping costs normal and see where it takes us... with a smaller universe, I am hoping that things won't get out of control with fleet sizes.
Antares
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby Antares on Sun 10 May 2020 18:36

Optional rules likely to be used:

D4.01 - Combat Phase Damage (Announce Status Changes only after all ships have fired)
F4 - Crew Grade - Option 1 (NPR's are always Base Grade)
K2.05.4 - Combining Funds (Exploration / Military starting budget modified)
K2.05.5 - Pre-Game Prototypes
K2.06 - Player Protection
K3 - Race Design with K3.02.1 Alternate Ability Levels (can leave everything normal for simplicity, if desired)
L4.12 - Arming the CFN
M1.03.5.1 - New Class - Option 1 - New Class Fee = 5% unit cost + 20 MCr
N5.03 - Shortfall (RP's)
N11.04.1 - Breakthroughs at SL Greater Than EL
P4.01.1 - Time Saver (Interstellar Communications)
T1.05.7 - Player Race Communication
T2.01.1 - Player Political Choice
AppAA-Con.04 - Generational Hulls
GG1 - Galactic Oddities
GG2 - Random Events (phased in over time... most beneficial / severe later in time)

We are specifically NOT using:
S – Graded Leaders
Anything that references Ground Combat or Invasion, Ground Forces, etc. (We will use a blockade system for capturing worlds)

Suggestions for players:

Please ensure that you are familiar with section CC – Play Advice and Example Month - prior to beginning

Create SOP's
Antares
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby Valles on Sun 10 May 2020 18:53

Sure, I'm in.
Valles
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Next

Return to General