Miniatures

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Miniatures

Postby southwestforests on Mon 12 Mar 2018 19:16

Hey wow, Post Office brought me a box of air! :D
Well, that's how much mass it felt like it had.

Cute.

Well packaged with plenty of seafoam green styrofoam peanuts.
Or maybe they are biodegradable: don't know for sure, haven't eaten any yet.

Those TFN DD are little bitty things. Train is HO scale, 1/87 scale, 3.5mm=1foot. (don't ask why the mixed systems, just accept that's the way it is)

Shapeways logo on the battleship's baggie. "Our starships are vacuum packed for freshness!"

Detail on BB is quite nice. Crisp. This is my first time with 3d printed items and therefore also first time cleaning off the support medium residue. Lots to 'learn by doing'.
Do have these trolley 3D print modeling references downloaded
http://www.trolleyville.com/tv/school/l ... _light.pdf
http://www.trolleyville.com/tv/school/l ... inting.pdf
:arrow: EDIT: forgot to type it in earlier - note the different textures on BB's dorsal and ventral surfaces.

Much to my surprise the minis are all hollow.

Finally, relative sizes of DD and BB
Last edited by southwestforests on Tue 13 Mar 2018 01:36, edited 2 times in total.
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Commander
Commander

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Postby southwestforests on Mon 12 Mar 2018 19:39

Has someone here tried this fellow's quick dip in lacquer thinner?
https://youtu.be/2Az8xSCde-k
How to clean frosted ultra detail 3D printed parts
Rockin H Farm Toys
Streamed live on Dec 8, 2017

On account of some nasty reactions to certain chemicals I have no business using lacquer and lacquer thinner, but ...
... do have a quart of gloss lacquer to use in hardening cardboard and cardstock for model projects and of course some lacquer thinner. Can generally mostly get away with using them briefly outdoors.
southwestforests
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Mon 12 Mar 2018 23:08

Nice pictures!

I have not tried the lacquer, but that's because I've found that a gentle rubbing of soap and water with a soft brush is all that it has needed so far. A hard bristle brush will scratch the FUD plastics and I've found that it isn't necessary.

Of course, make sure you use only a small amount of soap. If you leave any residue it screws up your primer coat.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby southwestforests on Tue 13 Mar 2018 01:10

Since mid 1980s I've been using toothbrush and soft abrasive cleaner like Clorox Soft Scrub on models and miniatures. As well as cleaning it gives plastics a nice subtle tooth to help grab the paint. Never have looked up the chemical interactions but do make sure metal minis and parts are well rinsed to keep the thing, if it is possible, from forming some kind of metal chloride salts.

After posting earlier did give the BB a scrub with Comet Soft Cleanser. The frosty side of BB now is much frostier while the off-white more transparent-ish side looks much the same.

A little bit earlier I found the can of lacquer thinner and tried a variation on that fellow's video - dipped a small fairly stiff round paint brush of about same diameter as the DD minis in the lacquer thinner and lightly scrubbed the BB then rinsed. Then did it once more.

Then after it dried scrubbed it with Simple Green and an old toothbrush.

Same results as first try, The frosty side remains frosty while the off-white more transparent-ish side looks much the same as it did before.

Don't know which if any value judgement to apply to the situation, only have enough data to observe what exists and document it.

:arrow: After the 3 different above processes it now looks like this with radically different surface textures dorsal translucent and ventral frosty.

:arrow: Okay, a bit of experimentation and some pics on macro setting - this really catches surface texture difference.
southwestforests
Commander
Commander

Postby southwestforests on Tue 13 Mar 2018 09:49

Talked to Shapeways via email. That surface texture dichotomy bothers me to the extent that I just replied to Dave that I want to return the miniatures.
southwestforests
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Wed 14 Mar 2018 00:22

southwestforests wrote:Talked to Shapeways via email. That surface texture dichotomy bothers me to the extent that I just replied to Dave that I want to return the miniatures.

OH WOW.

I have about 3 dozen miniatures from Shapeways and I've only ever seen a surface that bad once (on two miniatures) on FUD, and that was almost two years ago when we first started doing this. I thought they changed their processes so this wouldn't happen any longer and I've not seen any of the sellers complaining of this lately on the forum.

Please keep me updated on what they say happened. I will be contacting them about it as well. In the past when they've had some bad results they will replace them.

These were all in FUD, right? And am I reading what you are saying right in that you tried three different methods to clean them and all three had the same dorsal surface deformities?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby southwestforests on Wed 14 Mar 2018 05:59

Cralis wrote:These were all in FUD, right?

Yes.
And am I reading what you are saying right in that you tried three different methods to clean them

Just the BB.

The DD's had randomly located spots and one had very little of it. The what I guess could be called frosting on the aft of one or two DD initially looked to me like that white mold that gets on things. That wasn't the greatest first impression.

I was going to airbrush them with an off-white mix of model railroad white and just a hint of silver, basically the 'imitation aluminum' hue the Southern Railway used for the white band on its diesels before the Norfolk Southern merger. A glossy layer of that as thin as an airbrush lays down would really show up the rough surface - which would then catch shading washes.
It bugged me enough to ask about returns or refunds.
They just do refunds.

Anyone who wants the ships can have them gratis.

Someone here asked how could I tell such a small surface was that rough even before taking the Canon Powershot's macro setting to it.
I dunno, I just can.
Maybe it has something to do with having autism? And no, I'm not kidding about that.

Thinking about waiting a couple years for the 3D technology to evolve a bit more then trying again.

Oh, to answer what happened, it was said that the roughness was an artifact of where the wax supporting medium was in contact with the plastic as it was layered.
southwestforests
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Wed 14 Mar 2018 12:37

southwestforests wrote:The DD's had randomly located spots and one had very little of it. The what I guess could be called frosting on the aft of one or two DD initially looked to me like that white mold that gets on things. That wasn't the greatest first impression.

The "frost" is residue from the waxy support material. It's on nearly all FUD models, thus the reason it is called Frosted Ultra Detail.

I was going to airbrush them with an off-white mix of model railroad white and just a hint of silver, basically the 'imitation aluminum' hue the Southern Railway used for the white band on its diesels before the Norfolk Southern merger. A glossy layer of that as thin as an airbrush lays down would really show up the rough surface - which would then catch shading washes.

I just wash them with soap and then paint a grey primer on them. Though I'm thinking about getting a cruiser squadron and trying them with a black primer. Honestly I just don't think I'm any good at painting...

I've never tried stronger methods like lacquer, I've been afraid to damage the plastic.

It bugged me enough to ask about returns or refunds.
They just do refunds.

Aaah what? They must have silently changed their policy because, up until now, I have heard that they don't do refunds but they will redo the model for you. I would very much like to see your emails because I'm going to file a complaint as a maker.

Thinking about waiting a couple years for the 3D technology to evolve a bit more then trying again.

That's too bad, as I'm sure you got a bad batch. I have one of each model as an initial test print and I've only ever seen two that were messd up. Primarily because the printer oriented the models poorly (top down). Shapeways replaced both of them. Now we control the orientation and I don't see that anymore.

Oh, to answer what happened, it was said that the roughness was an artifact of where the wax supporting medium was in contact with the plastic as it was layered.

Yes, that is true. But I've NEVER seen it do that (look sand blasted) and you said your DDs were fine. So obviously they had a problem!

By the way, the opposite is true with the Strong and flexible. Except that it smooths out the (already lesser) details on the rough side. But it sure is cheap...

Such a bummer. If they fully refunded you, you can always try again. I'm going to put in a complaint and run a new order myself to see if anything changed.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby southwestforests on Wed 14 Mar 2018 15:12

Cralis wrote:I would very much like to see your emails because I'm going to file a complaint as a maker.
Give me a bit to copy them in to a message. And with initial contact to Shapeways I did include the last four images which are posted here.
southwestforests
Commander
Commander

Postby coldsteel on Wed 14 Mar 2018 16:25

southwestforests wrote:Anyone who wants the ships can have them gratis.

I'd be interested in them...
TFN: 1 BB, 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 11 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Commander
Commander

PreviousNext

Return to General