Miniatures

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Miniatures

Postby Cralis on Fri 16 Mar 2018 09:55

Lately I've been doing the same thing as Procyon -- responding from work on my phone. I'll see if I can get something up for you later today when I get home.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby coldsteel on Fri 16 Mar 2018 16:46

southwestforests wrote:
Otterman wrote:...you may wish to consider giving those same models another shot.
At this time I am inclined to wait some time before trying again. Speaking of giving, I'm giving them to Coldsteel. Will take a week or so to go get them mailed.

Yeah, I should be able to do something with the modeling gear I have to 'fix' those irregularities then get 'em painted up good.
TFN: 1 BB, 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 11 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Commander
Commander

Postby nukesnipe on Sat 17 Mar 2018 19:26

Painting straight lines on curved surfaces sucks.

Just had to put that out there. :D
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Mon 19 Mar 2018 16:24

What drives me nuts is painting straight lines onto two planar surfaces at angles to each other. You know, where you follow the edge then it pivots around the point and heads off 30 or 70 degrees from the previous plane.

My mind keeps screaming "IT'S NOT STRAIGHT!" until you get to the end and see the whole thing. Then you realize that you tried to adjust and screwed it up.

I'm practicing on my Ogre miniatures and the leading surfaces of the Ogre are playing games with my mind... :evil:
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby nukesnipe on Tue 20 Mar 2018 08:55

The camo scheme for my Ogre minis was determined by my son when he was in elementary school. I presented different schemes for the Combine and Paneuropean units and he chose the final scheme for each.

Combine wound up with a desert sand base with dark tan splotches outlined in black. Tedious, but not really a problem. The Paneuropeans on the other hand....

I offered him several options all based on a dark green undercoat. Did he choose the angular stripes or tiger striping? Noooooooo.... He fell in love with the four-tone random splotch. Green base, then tan, raw sienna and black splotches on top. I literally see spots for days.... :shock:
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Tue 20 Mar 2018 16:14

I was in both of the kickstarters for the plastic miniatures. I received the first part a few months ago, but I haven't painted them yet. I am planning to do color schemes that match the base miniature color, but I haven't painted a mini in 20 years. I bought some supplies to do the Starfire miniatures but decided to relearn to paint on the ogre minis.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby southwestforests on Wed 21 Mar 2018 03:30

Here's to succesful Ogre painting!
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Commander
Commander

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Postby coldsteel on Wed 21 Mar 2018 14:32

Cralis wrote:I was in both of the kickstarters for the plastic miniatures. I received the first part a few months ago, but I haven't painted them yet. I am planning to do color schemes that match the base miniature color, but I haven't painted a mini in 20 years. I bought some supplies to do the Starfire miniatures but decided to relearn to paint on the ogre minis.

I got in on #2. Also got into Bones #4 and the everlasting wet palette.
TFN: 1 BB, 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 11 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Wed 21 Mar 2018 15:35

Everlasting wet pallette? *looks it up* I wonder how well it works? And I wonder how often you would have to change out the foam part?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Thu 22 Mar 2018 10:11

Ok well I have managed to prime all of the Starfire minis I have without clumping paint or causing drips. I call that a win... I remember waaay back that it was too easy to get too much primer and have problems.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

PreviousNext

Return to General