Some Assembly Required: Intro & Prelude

Krenshala's Custom Ultra Campaign

Moderator: krenshala

Some Assembly Required: Intro & Prelude

Postby krenshala on Wed 10 Feb 2010 01:00

So, being the masochistic Starfire player that I am, I wanted to see what it would take to "uncompress" time in Ultra. This story is being written based on that campaign. As such, growth is slow, R&D is slow, build times are slow, but travel and income (and costs) remain unchanged. I'm still working out a few of the minor details, but once I have everything nailed down to my satisfaction I'll be glad to provide the "rules" I'm using.

Also in my masochistic Starfire player nature, I'm starting the game with a number of the more "evil" races right from the beginning. It will be an open, generated as I go universe, so I'm not sure when the various "superpowers" will run into each other.

The beginning of this story deals with what most would consider the worst of the "evil" powers ...

Some Assembly Required

Prelude

“Fan-Reen Grelemnos, the Melosh-Reen will see you now.”

“Thank you, soldier. I know my way.”

Standing up from the plush recliner in the outer waiting room of the Melosh-Reen, or Regional Military Leader, Fan-Reen Grelemnos quickly collected his briefcase and walked down the short hall. Knocking lightly, he entered the office and saluted his superior, the clawed left hand unsheathed over his primary heart.

“Ah, Grel'! So good of you to arrive on such short notice, grandson.” Melosh-Reen Grelosh smiled politely, carefully revealing only a hint of his needle like teeth. “Tofan-Reen Thorvos came to see me yesterday. It seems he has been having some … difficulties … with the safety precautions you have insisted he work under. He wanted me to rip out your throat for overstepping your authority on his project.”

Chuckling at this mild understatement of his political rival's usual flair for the dramatic, the Unit Leader sat at the single chair on his side of the desk filling the office.

“Well, grandfather, he seems to think that the well-being of the members of this research base, let alone those performing unrelated studies across the hall, are secondary to his objective of assembling a … what did he call it? Ah, yes, a 'Perfect Warrior'.” Shaking his head in dismay, Grelemnos continued.

“I've had to post armed guards in all three of his labs in order to ensure he conforms to Republic safety standards for military research and testing. He is more than willing to bypass such 'trivial misapprehensions' in order to complete the goals he has set for this project, despite my insistence that proper protocols be followed.

“Frankly, I'm surprised there haven't been more injuries considering the nature of the testing he is performing. I don't know if you had heard, but two days ago another of his assistants was rushed to the surgical ward after a containment field was breached. Unfortunately, even with the constant string of crippling injuries to his staff, he is making just enough progress to prevent me from doing anything more directly.”

“Hmmm … I wasn't aware things had come to that.” Grelosh began rhythmically clicking a single claw tip against an incisor as he thought.

“Will he be able to meet the R&D board's goals? He only talked of your 'interference' in his work when he was here yesterday. Due to his connections I can't just pull the plug on this project, but if he isn't meeting the specified time line, or going over budget, I might be able to kill it anyway.”

“More's the pity, grandfather. He's actually been making progress in the last couple of weeks. My sources in his lab tell me he's gotten a few prototypes completed, and is planning to have a substantial demonstration ready for the R&D board by next week. I haven't gotten the full details, but apparently Thorvos believes he has created a soldier able to conduct battle with little or no external support. He's also created a controller … my source called it a Reen-Mind … to manage these super-soldiers remotely. In large enough numbers we might not even need to ground actual troops in order to suppress those devils on Jabin; not that the Haljabin are a threat to us without spacecraft of their own.”

“Damn. That would make killing the program near impossible.” The older soldier sighed into his hand. “Well, it looks like I may just have to plan a 'surprise' inspection of the R&D labs. For morale purposes, of course. Perhaps I can find something while there to hinder the ––“

Suddenly, the intercom crackled to life. “Melos-Reen, Fan-Reen Ahkos has reported an emergency at the R&D facility.” The assistant's voice sounded frightened. “Apparently the base is under attack. Fan-Reen Ahkos reports most of the security detachment there has already been slain, and the … the … attackers, may be moving in this direction.”

With a growl of frustration the Melos-Reen jammed a thumb onto the transmit button. “Tell Ahkos he'd better stop that incursion or I'll have his hide for rug! What are we facing?”

“I don't know, sir! Fan-Reen Ahkos just said they were being attacked, and some where heading here, and then I lost contact with him!”

“What?!”

“I don't know, sir!” the assistant replied in obvious panic.

“Well, find someone that does know, damnit!”

Fan-Reen Grelemnos stood up to go. “I should probably get over there, grandfather. Those labs are my responsibility, and I need to find out what's happening to my people.”

Waving absently at his grandson, the Melos-Reen began looking up the comm-codes for his superiors at the Republic headquarters. Before he could complete the connection, however, his grandson came flying backwards into the room, blue-black blood spraying the air from the large hole where his chest was mere seconds before. What appeared to be a lab assistant with mechanical additions surgically attached to his body, and a cold dead look in his life-less yet still seeing eyes, followed the corpse of his grandson into the room.

As the mechanically altered researcher focused on the Melos-Reen, bringing his weapon to bear, he absently stated as if to himself, “... target sited … securing primary objective …“ Grelosh attempted to reach his sidearm, but the oddly mechanical soldier fired before he could get to it. The shot blew out most of Grelosh's abdomen and part of his lower spine but, unfortunately, did not kill him.

“... objective secured … returning acquired resources to assembly facility ...” The mechanical monster grabbed Grelosh by the remaining ankle and began dragging him out of the office. A smaller, mechanical third arm reached casually down from its back to grab Grelemnos' body as it went by.

While being dragged back to the research lab, he struggled to get loose while he struggled to figure out what was happening. Though he knew his injury was fatal, Grelosh hadn't died yet. He figured he had an hour, at most, before he bled out.

Unfortunately, this meant he lived long enough to find out what was happening, but not long enough to find a way out of it. His screams echoed through the research labs of Tofan-Reen Thorvos as his new, mechanically enhanced, electronically controlled body was Assembled ...

Year 8.01 After Assembly

In the aftermath of the Assembly's creation little remained of the more than eight and a half billion people from two species that called this binary star system “home”. The exact circumstances that lead to the Assembly being formed are still unclear (even to the Assembly), however, the destruction left in their wake is very clear. Four terrestrial and four barren planets, as well as seven moons, wiped clean of so-called intelligent life. Economic and technological infrastructure ripped up by the roots and used to construct massive factory ships, cybernetically augmented drones, and the warships to protect them. The wreckage of an inadequate defense fleet, hastily redeployed by those that once lived here, drifts slowly into interstellar space.

None survive the harvest.

The Assembly is all that remains.

Slowly building its strength, it contemplates the data recovered from the half mangled exploration and survey vessel captured shortly before the final battle with its “parents”. From this information, directives are issued to survey everything within six light hours of the primary for gravimetric anomalies.
If the data is correct one of the neighboring star systems is far closer at hand that one would think.

Perhaps more resources are available for harvest …
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Re: Some Assembly Required: Intro & Prelude

Postby Club on Wed 10 Feb 2010 12:50

One mad scientist wipes out an entire system population. Guess they weren't lucky enough to have superheros.

Since we don't have them either, I hope our oversight into risky military projects is better at least ....

We're doomed.
TAG: As I understand it, he sought to avoid turning one-point-six trillion Terran sophonts into undead, war-mongering super-soldiers.
Captain Tagon: It it wrong for me to think that would be pretty cool to watch?

http://www.schlockmercenary.com
Club
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby krenshala on Wed 10 Feb 2010 13:56

heh, it does seem that way sometimes, doesn't it? :D

I was trying to think of how the Assembly was created, then I remembered what I originally generated for the system: EL 0 Stalinist Communism and an EL 2 Military Republic. Hmmm ... republic scientist looking for a 'safe' way to wipe out its extremely hostile "brother" in the system ... yeah, that could work ... :shock: :twisted:

The only flaw in the story is that it would take much longer than six months to convert 3760 PU (1330 PU Stalinist, 1180 PU Republic with 1250 PU exploitation), especially with my reduced build time for ships. I'm going to leave it, however, at a six month gap, and just not worry about it. ;)
-- krenshala

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Wed 10 Feb 2010 22:30

Club wrote:One mad scientist wipes out an entire system population. Guess they weren't lucky enough to have superheros.

Since we don't have them either, I hope our oversight into risky military projects is better at least ....

We're doomed.

Apparently you don't know enough US Marines. :-)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby krenshala on Wed 17 Feb 2010 00:51

I changed my mind and have updated the dates for this game. Turn one is now Year 8.01 (of a 14 month year) After Assembly.
-- krenshala

krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Some Assembly Required