Create your own language

Every discussion that doesn't have a home gets thrown into the Starless Void. Posters included.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

More than likely if your thread got moved, it got moved here. It is highly unlikely that a topic in the starless void can attain enough velocity to escape this sub-forum's event horizon.

Create your own language

Postby BillW on Fri 21 Oct 2011 22:51

This is tangentially related to Starfire as it could allow folk to create an "alien" language without too much effort.

http://www.sicher.org/2011/10/18/how-to ... n-one-day/

Rather an interesting approach. As one of the commenters said it is more of an encoding than true language creation, but still cool. :geek:
BillW
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Create your own language

Postby krenshala on Sat 22 Oct 2011 00:53

Thank you for posting this. Creating a language for a story/game is one of those half-formed hobbies in the back of my mind for the last twenty years. :D

Avidly reading the link ...
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby BillW on Sat 22 Oct 2011 05:19

krenshala wrote:Thank you for posting this. Creating a language for a story/game is one of those half-formed hobbies in the back of my mind for the last twenty years. :D

Avidly reading the link ...

You are welcome. That is why I posted it; I figured that there would be folk who would like a nice easy way of creating an alien language. :)

I was surprised by how simple the program is. It will be easy to make your own modifications too.
Also, although I was aware that Unicode supported current languages I hadn't realized that there were so many Unicode fonts for ancient scripts.
BillW
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby BillW on Sat 22 Oct 2011 05:40

For those interested in language creation you will want to listen to Dr. Mark Okrand talking about how he created Vulcan and Klingon for Star Trek.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph77eTMZIhs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boOi7rkGZhE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiiqwVivIsc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2AZW1vplFA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yUWnhw0WeA
BillW
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Vandervecken on Sun 25 Mar 2012 21:11

A old friend of mine, tried to use the assets at hand to learn Farsi before he went to Presidio, CA for his formal Language Institute Class. The asset was the son of a house servant (I think the servant was a Meat Caretaker - Butcher) of the recently EX Shah of Iran. (That kinda dates me, eh ?) He unfortunately had to relearn his pronounciation a bit when he finally got to his formal classes as the son, who was in my bunkroom, actually had a slight lisp. He also taught me a bit of Arabic. I didn't know till then that Iranians,for the most part, didn't speak (as a primary language) Arabic. And I loved History and Geography in school and didn't remember that Iran was more a part of Persia, than the Middle east.

<edit> and later the Ottoman Empire.

Has anyone ever get a Starfire campaign together and give some semi - jumbled note to a player when they had not quite gotten a good translation on an alien communication roll ?. I've done it in a Role-playing game but not any of the space Empires games I've played.
Last edited by Vandervecken on Sun 25 Mar 2012 23:38, edited 1 time in total.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sun 25 Mar 2012 23:02

Vandervecken wrote:Has anyone ever get a Starfire campaign together and give some semi - jumbled note to a player when they had not quite gotten a good translation on an alien communication roll ?. I've done it in a Role-playing game but not any of the space Empires games I've played.

Never got the opportunity to do it in a multi-player game, only in single-player campaigns (and why would I give myself such a note?). I have, however, done it a number of times in games like D&D and RIFTS (those are the two I can remember right now).

It's a lot of fun. The other good one is a note that is perfectly readable but the grammar is very different from the "standard" (we used English as the standard, of course, for simplicity). Made for some interesting interpretations of ancient prophecies and predictions made by a fortune teller (in one case).
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby southwestforests on Mon 27 Aug 2012 22:19

krenshala wrote:Creating a language for a story/game is one of those half-formed hobbies in the back of my mind for the last twenty years. :D
Have a sci-fi story I've been "playing at" writing and drawing things, and building models and miniatures for on and off over the decades since around 7th grade or so. For one of the cultures an idea was that their language would feel to Earthers something like a mix of Russian and Polynesian, but I just can't seem to make anything for it beyond having the general trend idea. Flag designs for all but one country are eluding me too.
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Commander
Commander

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Postby reddavid on Sat 15 Sep 2012 22:22

Traveller Alien Module 3 (1984) has some language creating charts for the Vargr.

Several of the GRUPS Alien Races books have similar charts for several races.
Let me cry and I will take on the world
reddavid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sun 16 Sep 2012 05:24

The first step, I think would be to define alien units of measure (distance, time etc) and scientific constants. Those would be some of the first things an encountering race would look for in an attempt to initiate communications.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby TerryTigre on Wed 24 Oct 2012 16:16

When speaking of creation of new languages, Tolkien deserves a mention. He created multiple variants of elvish alone, together with different scripts for them.

But one of the key considerations of creating a new language is the environment of the users of that language. Dwarves will have a lot of words for Rocks, Gems, etc, while Elves will have more words for Trees, Plants, Animals.

Also, when the people were subjugated for a time, elements of the language of those people will be incorporated as well. A language can tell some history as well.

Lastly, it is important to think about what the people who use the language want to communicate. A simple trade language? Pidgin English. Hunters? Short game(deer, duck etc) related words. Ocean going imperium? English. Sailors? Dutch.
Status: 26 types of tech system. Working on fleet tactics. Added b generation weapons, including G, Gb. Possible to give Ships Movement Orders. Working on SysGenV2
TerryTigre
Captain
Captain

Next

Return to The Starless Void