Generation switches.

Every discussion that doesn't have a home gets thrown into the Starless Void. Posters included.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

More than likely if your thread got moved, it got moved here. It is highly unlikely that a topic in the starless void can attain enough velocity to escape this sub-forum's event horizon.

Re: Generation switches.

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Tue 31 Jul 2012 19:33

The problem that I see is teaching kids certain subjects in terms that they can relate to. While I'm not a teacher I've used games like Yu-Gi-Oh and MtG to teach kids math and reading comprehension. I've seen 6 year olds adding and subtracting four digit numbers using pencil and paper after playing for a couple of weeks of playing.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby procyon on Wed 01 Aug 2012 09:18

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote: I've seen 6 year olds adding and subtracting four digit numbers using pencil and paper after playing for a couple of weeks of playing.

Well, my kids weren't quite to that level, but adding/subtracting single and double digits in their heads by 8 y/o is fairly common at our house.

But yes, this is a fairly common phenom.

And it is for one simple reason. THEY WANT TO. In a game it is fun. :D

Everyone who wanted to do their math homework and read the school books - raise your hand.
I'm sure I can see all of them from here.... :roll:

And this is where a lot of the modern education falls apart. Once upon a time most kids had to be able to read and do math to play board games with the family - or such. (Monopoly...) With video games - they only need to push a button. So sad.
And if the parents don't get in the middle (which is an unpleasant fight to get past), the kids have no reason to learn. Alas, many don't.
It pains me that many of the 'kids' coming in and having babies can't figure out what time to feed the baby if you tell them "three hours from now" unless you give them a time and a digital clock.
Assuming you can get their cell phones away from them long enough that they will listen. The number of 'moms' I have had to tell them to put down their cell phone so they can hold the baby they just delivered is more than disturbing... :cry:
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Wed 01 Aug 2012 15:52

Don't feel bad. It's worse here on the Least Coast. The only way some schools see increases in test scores is for the teachers and administrators to correct the wrong answers before the tests are submitted to the state for verification.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby dazrand on Thu 02 Aug 2012 04:55

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:Don't feel bad. It's worse here on the Least Coast. The only way some schools see increases in test scores is for the teachers and administrators to correct the wrong answers before the tests are submitted to the state for verification.

Not just your area. With a massive decrease in school scores here in Florida, they decided the best move was to adjust the results with a bell curve in order to maintain an acceptable ratio of "passing" schools.
dazrand
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Thu 02 Aug 2012 05:11

Ah yes, the beauty of the No Child Gets an Education act.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Previous

Return to The Starless Void