Weird Science

Every discussion that doesn't have a home gets thrown into the Starless Void. Posters included.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

More than likely if your thread got moved, it got moved here. It is highly unlikely that a topic in the starless void can attain enough velocity to escape this sub-forum's event horizon.

Weird Science

Postby BillW on Thu 15 Nov 2012 21:37

It sounds really weird at first, but there is, apparently, a valid reason to make glowing kittens. Scientists are studying feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV), which causes AIDS in cats. The gene that causes the glow is used to track the transfer of a gene that combats FIV.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/glow-in-the-dark-cats-jellyfish-and-monkeys-may-prevent-aids/2011/09/12/gIQAdq89MK_blog.html
BillW
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Weird Science

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Fri 16 Nov 2012 05:50

Neat concept. Wait until it gets out of the lab and into the hands of breeders. Kids will want glowing kittens as Halloween presents.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby BillW on Fri 16 Nov 2012 06:07

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:Neat concept. Wait until it gets out of the lab and into the hands of breeders. Kids will want glowing kittens as Halloween presents.

No doubt about it!

It will also be useful to spot them when they are hiding under the bed. ;)
BillW
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Fri 16 Nov 2012 06:11

BillW wrote:It will also be useful to spot them when they are hiding under the bed.

Or in the closet, behind the sofa etc.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby aramis on Sat 17 Nov 2012 23:49

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:Neat concept. Wait until it gets out of the lab and into the hands of breeders. Kids will want glowing kittens as Halloween presents.

kids, hell... *I* wouldn't mind a glow-in-the-dark cat. Harder to trip over.
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sun 18 Nov 2012 07:12

They also make a nice flashlight if the power goes out. Just hold it at arms length to find your way around.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby BillW on Sun 18 Nov 2012 07:51

aramis wrote:

kids, hell... *I* wouldn't mind a glow-in-the-dark cat. Harder to trip over.

Easier to spot, yes, but they will still decide to weave in front of your feet when you are walking along carrying something in your arms so as to maximize the trip hazard. ;)
BillW
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sun 18 Nov 2012 07:57

They will also climb on you early in the morning so you can wake up to a glowing fuzzball.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby BillW on Sun 18 Nov 2012 10:44

This isn't so much weird science as unexpected. NASA partnering with MS to produce a video game.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/07/n ... ideo-game/

NASA is trying to get publicity any way it can.
BillW
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Return to The Starless Void