Shore Leave 35

Every discussion that doesn't have a home gets thrown into the Starless Void. Posters included.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

More than likely if your thread got moved, it got moved here. It is highly unlikely that a topic in the starless void can attain enough velocity to escape this sub-forum's event horizon.

Shore Leave 35

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sat 22 Jun 2013 20:03

6 weeks to Shore Leave 35. I'll be bringing 3rd and 3rdR for tactical gaming. Space and time will be at a premium there are other games that I play at the convention (MTG, Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, 40k etc) and I'll be attending David Weber's panels. There is a chance that David will stop by the gaming room as the RMN groups will have SITS going on.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Shore Leave 35

Postby Cralis on Sun 23 Jun 2013 00:38

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:6 weeks to Shore Leave 35. I'll be bringing 3rd and 3rdR for tactical gaming. Space and time will be at a premium there are other games that I play at the convention (MTG, Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, 40k etc) and I'll be attending David Weber's panels. There is a chance that David will stop by the gaming room as the RMN groups will have SITS going on.

WOW cool... hopefully in the next year or two I will be able to start going to some of these conventions. Take pictures and let us know how it goes!

If you take pictures I'll post them on the FB site :)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sun 23 Jun 2013 06:16

My phone isn't the best, but I'll see what I can do as far as pictures go.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sun 28 Jul 2013 16:41

One week to Shore Leave. I've been invited to breakfast Friday morning with the Royal Manticoran Navy and David Weber.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sun 28 Jul 2013 23:20

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:One week to Shore Leave. I've been invited to breakfast Friday morning with the Royal Manticoran Navy and David Weber.

Dang! You'll have to tell us what goes on!
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Mon 29 Jul 2013 03:49

Will do.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Wed 31 Jul 2013 21:20

I'll post Shore Leave happening on Monday.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sun 04 Aug 2013 21:03

Just got back from Shore Leave 35. Quick recap.

Had breakfast with David Weber Friday morning. Honor Harrington movie is in the works. David wants to do novels covering ISW-1 and 2, but can't mesh schedules with Steve White. Told him about my fanfic and as long as I limit it to the initial exploration and settlement of Centauris I'm good to go. He did give me a current business card to forward to Crucis. Played a couple of Saganami Island Tactical Simulator demos. Combat itself is fairly easy. The movement rules are fairly complex as it involves thrust and vectors in 3D. Due to lack of table space (Saganami Island taking up the large table) and time I wasn't able to get any Starfire in, however there were at least 2 other people (not counting David) that had played 3rd ed. In fact, our Saganami Island demo expert commented on the differences on movement and combat between Starfire and SITS. Tactics are far different when your main armament is broadside and only has a 120 degree field of fire (you have port and starboard broadsides, as well as fore and aft chase weapons). Defenses also work the same way. I learned the hard way what a tactical error means. Made the fatal mistake of turning the bow of my CA into the broadside of a BC and ate 2 salvos of missiles. The gentleman playing with me last night fared somewhat better and did decent damage to the BC he was facing before going down in flames. In fact this morning, he went through an advanced training scenario and played the demo expert to a standstill.

I'll post more tomorrow, including more fiction.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby JoeBuckeye on Mon 05 Aug 2013 17:51

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:David wants to do novels covering ISW-1 and 2, but can't mesh schedules with Steve White.

Sweet. I've always thought those would make great stories. I still sit down and read Stars at War every once in awhile when I need a Starfire fix.
Joe
JoeBuckeye
Commander
Commander

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Mon 05 Aug 2013 17:53

I'd like to see ISW-1/2 done as anthologies, where a number of authors could contribute to the overall story.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Next

Return to The Starless Void