Who's here?

Every discussion that doesn't have a home gets thrown into the Starless Void. Posters included.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

More than likely if your thread got moved, it got moved here. It is highly unlikely that a topic in the starless void can attain enough velocity to escape this sub-forum's event horizon.

Re: Who's here?

Postby krenshala on Sun 25 Dec 2011 18:50

Cralis wrote:
tator93 wrote:Hello to all!! Now that the cat is out of the bag and I can no longer razz Procyon without everyone knowing who is giving him a hard time I will take a moment to introduce myself.

Welcome to the board! I suspected you were Procyon's wife but I wasn't sure... I was waiting for you to say the wrong thing and confirm it :)

I'm a little jealous...I've gotten my wife to play D&D but not STARFIRE. *sigh* It was great to read Procyon's stories and comments about his family game. Maybe someday I'll be that lucky when my kids get a little older.

I have hope of getting my son to play when he's older (he'll be six at the end of next turn :lol: ), but I've never managed to convince my wife to try RPGs, let alone Starfire. The thing is, I just know she'd be really good at it and probably whup my ass in tactical battles (as she does in the computer games I've gotten her to play). ;)
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby tator93 on Tue 27 Dec 2011 20:19

krenshala wrote:
Cralis wrote:
tator93 wrote:Hello to all!! Now that the cat is out of the bag and I can no longer razz Procyon without everyone knowing who is giving him a hard time I will take a moment to introduce myself.

Welcome to the board! I suspected you were Procyon's wife but I wasn't sure... I was waiting for you to say the wrong thing and confirm it :)

I'm a little jealous...I've gotten my wife to play D&D but not STARFIRE. *sigh* It was great to read Procyon's stories and comments about his family game. Maybe someday I'll be that lucky when my kids get a little older.

I have hope of getting my son to play when he's older (he'll be six at the end of next turn :lol: ), but I've never managed to convince my wife to try RPGs, let alone Starfire. The thing is, I just know she'd be really good at it and probably whup my ass in tactical battles (as she does in the computer games I've gotten her to play). ;)

Well I don't whup his ass by any means, because he makes my way of thinking look like elementry when it comes to some things!!!
~Missile Queen~
tator93
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby krenshala on Tue 27 Dec 2011 22:28

tator93 wrote:
krenshala wrote:I have hope of getting my son to play when he's older (he'll be six at the end of next turn :lol: ), but I've never managed to convince my wife to try RPGs, let alone Starfire. The thing is, I just know she'd be really good at it and probably whup my ass in tactical battles (as she does in the computer games I've gotten her to play). ;)

Well I don't whup his ass by any means, because he makes my way of thinking look like elementry when it comes to some things!!!

In Day of Defeat (WW2 first-person-shooter, Half-Life 1 and 2 mods) we always started on the same team, but auto-team-balance would move her to the other one, and I'd get slaughtered by her from that point on. In one case nobody from the other team killed me from that point on, just her ... constantly, almost always before I even knew I was in her sights. She, of course, loved that. :D She did the same in Doom/Doom2/Quake deathmatch servers back in the day, and most folks wouldn't believe they were "getting owned by a girl". One guy even rage-quit over it. :twisted:

RPGs she won't try "... too much math", she says. *sigh*
-- krenshala

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby tator93 on Tue 27 Dec 2011 23:19

RPGs she won't try "... too much math", she says. *sigh*[/quote]

I agree. Which is why he does the math and I tell him what do with the money. I truely need to sit down and read all of the rules, but 300+ pages is scary when I don't always know what all the abbreviations are. He laughs at me but what can I say.... I would rather read a girl book!! Someday I am just going to have to make myself do it. Like reading Lord of the Rings: Return of the King; So-in-so, is to so-in-so, is to so-in-so..... Ugh!! :?

Sorry not all of my posts come out right still trying to get used to this sight.
~Missile Queen~
tator93
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby aramis on Wed 28 Dec 2011 03:36

krenshala wrote:
Cralis wrote:

Many of the FATE system RPG's have very little math. And it's all addition or subtraction, and under 20.

And several have no math harder than "Look up the die roll on the table"... but these are definitely indie games.

If you want to ease her into RPG's, start with some of the very structured story-boardgames... like Once Upon A Time or Aye, Dark Overlord...
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby tator93 on Wed 28 Dec 2011 23:07

aramis wrote:
Many of the FATE system RPG's have very little math. And it's all addition or subtraction, and under 20.

And several have no math harder than "Look up the die roll on the table"... but these are definitely indie games.

If you want to ease her into RPG's, start with some of the very structured story-boardgames... like Once Upon A Time or Aye, Dark Overlord...

Shhhh...... Don't say that to loud! The last thing my house needs is another game. :)
~Missile Queen~
tator93
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby procyon on Fri 30 Dec 2011 02:57

aramis wrote:Many of the FATE system RPG's have very little math.

tator93 (my wife) has never had a problem with the math in an RPG - although Gurps gave her a run for her money as it was the first one she really played long term.

But I admit, she starts most of the turns and decides her priorities - then waits for me to do the 'detail' math to figure things out to the last tenth of a MC.

Typically the killers are figuring the research costs - as there are so many little modifiers that get tossed in.

EDIT

I have to admit to taking a bit to go over Section N to make sure that all the special situations are covered, and even then have been guilty of making mistakes and not realizing it until several months down the line.
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby procyon on Fri 30 Dec 2011 03:33

krenshala wrote:In Day of Defeat (WW2 first-person-shooter, Half-Life 1 and 2 mods) we always started on the same team, but auto-team-balance would move her to the other one, and I'd get slaughtered by her from that point on. In one case nobody from the other team killed me from that point on, just her ... constantly, almost always before I even knew I was in her sights. She, of course, loved that. She did the same in Doom/Doom2/Quake deathmatch servers back in the day,

I am sure that your skill are nearly matchless, it is simply your wife's great knowledge of you that allows her to predict your moves and take you down.... ;) :mrgreen:

But I have to admit that sometimes there are just folks out there with your number. We played paintball quite a bit (although we have slowed down the last few years) and my wife never seemed to be able to shoot me. But one of the other guys wife seemed to be able to shoot me just about every game. Didn't matter what was going on, where we were at, or how many obstacles were between us. She always managed to send me to the sidelines.

Or you just may be married to a genetically endowed killing machine.
If so you may want to consider watching your p's and q's very closely....
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby krenshala on Fri 30 Dec 2011 08:03

procyon wrote:Or you just may be married to a genetically endowed killing machine.
If so you may want to consider watching your p's and q's very closely....

Personally, I'm thinking its this ... and I do. ;)
-- krenshala

krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Vandervecken on Mon 30 Jan 2012 01:36

Hello folks,

This is Curt Orth, aka Vandervecken. Another old timer (ancient timer) who is going back to the things that made him happy when her was sooo much younger. I played 1st thru 3rd editions and purchased Galactic Starfire but my group was breaking up due to silly things like Marriage, Real Jobs, Kids; and sillier things like Civilization(I-III) and SE-III and SE-IV on my always antiquated computer.
I've been lurking this site for years, some inner urge was building; but I could , I must be strong and RESIST. Then I started reading stories in the forums, and I realized that I actually wanted to play the game again, even if it was a solo thing. So here I am. I started playing this game while still in High School, now I've got a kid that is older than me when I designed my first ship with an Overload Dampener. The empire building part of the game still seems too big, but from what I've read, it isn't as daunting as Galactic Starfire (better put together if still a bit complex) but I see some new kids give it a shot, so I'll do the same. And my daughter who is barely into double digits in age, has taken after her dad and is a Gamer (Both Board games and roleplaying) so maybe I'll have someone who can help me with this Solar Starfire I'll be purchasing soon. She already has mastered the CCG: Magic, Risk, Everquest, Minecraft, Titan, and my own Space empire game (uses Imperium style combat system), so this seems to be a natural progression for her.
P.S. Spent 3 years in Army as an medic in 82nd Airborne - got out just before the great 'Grenada' campaign, hehehe.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to The Starless Void