Stll plodding along

Every discussion that doesn't have a home gets thrown into the Starless Void. Posters included.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

More than likely if your thread got moved, it got moved here. It is highly unlikely that a topic in the starless void can attain enough velocity to escape this sub-forum's event horizon.

Re: Stll plodding along

Postby Cralis on Fri 18 Apr 2014 18:45

Graybeard wrote:As little as I know about this game so far, EL doesn't ring any bells with me.

EL is your "Economic Level" (see N2.01) and is your "overall" level of knowledge. SL is your "Science Level" (see N2.02) and is your specific knowledge in a tech tree. So every tech tree (for example, L or Lasers), has it's own SL.

Thank you, for your response. It will be a long time gaming, before I see EL48. It will probably very well be a longer time than that, before I have to consider any Critical Tech Jump.

CTJ is explained in N15. Technically, EL0 to EL1 is a CTJ. However, right now CTJs will occur every 20 ELs.

My mind boggles at the thought of the Control Sheet for a HS x3,000 ship. My imagination envisions a multi-page Control Sheet. I was writing to Xveers about S x250, totally forgetting Si and Ai. I think if the Gb is cheap enough, you could make a system defense Swarm of them that would balance out the huge ships.

I think everything is going to change once you get there. Plus, we have some ideas on how to make things a little easier with later technologies and still be more powerful. We have a lot of testing to do to really, fully support post SL 30 games in anything resembling reasonable game play.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Graybeard on Sat 19 Apr 2014 04:48

Good morning, Cralis,

Thanks again for your reply. With your explanations I'm beginning to get an idea of what you're telling me.

I"m signing off for Easter, now.

Graybeard
I was watching "Space Patrol" live on B & W TV when most of you were gleams in your parents' eyes.
Graybeard
Captain
Captain

Postby Graybeard on Tue 22 Apr 2014 13:19

Good afternoon, all,

I finished reading Small Craft Rules before Easter and haven't done much since.

I have started writing the introduction to The Bureaucracy.

I have yet to copy the table for building BS, SS and PDCs.

I had a health condition Friday and Saturday that cleared up this Sunday; I had started a new medication and the health condition followed. Saturday night I did not take the new medication and the health condition cleared up.

That's all I have to report at this time.

Graybeard
I was watching "Space Patrol" live on B & W TV when most of you were gleams in your parents' eyes.
Graybeard
Captain
Captain

Postby Graybeard on Fri 25 Apr 2014 17:25

Greetings gentle beings,

I was going to greet Earthlings, but there could be moderators who took inhuman race.

Okay, I have my copy of Base and Special Hulls costs and sizes and EL, now. Also maintenance costs.

I have read all the way up to J, finished reading K today.

I guess while I'm plodding through the rest of the manual, my next transcribing project is to coast through Technology Trees and Systems, copying down base systems at SLs 0 and 1. When I've done that, I will be close to playing a start up turn, which is Section J.

I will be building SS modules, PDCs and lots of Explorers and Space Ports. Also build on planet some FT6s, to carry SPs to moons and other planets. So, I'm also mulling over my start and first turns.

Thanks again for telling me about the SS Modules. I might build one BS ... no, I don't have the EL to build a BS big enough ... for a SY. I'll have to look into the size of a medium SY and EL for BS to hold the medium SY.

Anyway, SSF keeps my mind occupied in a clean manner and I stay out of trouble. I still have on my back burner in my head different scenarios for the text to "The Bureaucracy" to write.

May all of you and yours enjoy a safe and happy weekend.

Graybeard
Graybeard
Captain
Captain

Postby Graybeard on Fri 25 Apr 2014 17:48

Alright already, okay okay, I am now reading section K, not J. I'll get it right.
Graybeard
Captain
Captain

Postby Graybeard on Wed 07 May 2014 13:48

Greetings,

Still plodding through Section K. Rereading some4 parts of it. I will need to read the other sections such as R & D, before starting Turn 0.

Last week my doctor gave me some information which will occasion my going for tests to the Dallas VA Hospital from time to time. The first test is this coming Monday, the 12th. So, the trips to Dallas VA will each take a day of my time. I have also needed time to digest the information the doctor gave me. Don't worry, it doesn't change the number of days my life has from the time I was born.

Graybeard
Graybeard
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Thu 08 May 2014 22:07

Graybeard wrote:Greetings,

Still plodding through Section K. Rereading some4 parts of it. I will need to read the other sections such as R & D, before starting Turn 0.

Sounds like you're getting close!

Last week my doctor gave me some information which will occasion my going for tests to the Dallas VA Hospital from time to time. The first test is this coming Monday, the 12th. So, the trips to Dallas VA will each take a day of my time. I have also needed time to digest the information the doctor gave me. Don't worry, it doesn't change the number of days my life has from the time I was born.

'tis a mere flesh wound. And I can say that, given my recent surgery and all. *sigh*

The nearest VA hospital to me is an hour away so it's a pain for me too.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Graybeard on Fri 09 May 2014 13:50

Good afternoon, Cralis,

Good to see your post and thanks for your reply.

Aye, and the doctor said it's a "little" aneurysm, so they should have time to remove it before it gets serious. I don't have an appointment for that, yet. Monday's appointment is something else. And, there is good public transportation from my place to the Dallas VA hospital.

Graybeard
Graybeard
Captain
Captain

Postby Graybeard on Sat 10 May 2014 16:52

Good afternoon,

I'm stuck at K3, I don't understand modifiers. I don't know where they come from or how to apply them.

Graybeard
Graybeard
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Sat 10 May 2014 20:09

Graybeard wrote:I'm stuck at K3, I don't understand modifiers. I don't know where they come from or how to apply them.

K3 is an optional set of rules that allow the SM & players the ability to create races with different properties, but do so in a way that is balanced. Otherwise an SM might assign abilities without any idea of how powerful they are and inadvertently give some players a significant advantage over others! But this method ALSO allows the SM to build NPRs that are more powerful than the player races by simply building races that have higher point values. It's a pretty neat system.

The modifiers are purchase by "Race Design Points" -- see the first sentence of K3.01. Every race starts with 10 Race Design Points. You can spend them however you want (see Table K3.03). You can get more points by purchasing abilities with negative values. For example, if I have a race and I purchase Green Base Crew Grade, then I have 24 more points to spend.

We are adding one rule in the next version which doesn't exist right now. By the "standard" rules, we are going to only allow a player to purchase a max of -10 points worth of negatives, or one SINGLE negative of any point value. Also, we are clarifying that a race must purchase positive abilities to make sure the total number of Race Design Points is zero or higher (you can have extra points, but you cannot have negative points). Any variation on this is at the SM's discretion, although we suggest every player have the same number of starting points and limitations.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Starless Void