The USN verses The Swarm

Every discussion that doesn't have a home gets thrown into the Starless Void. Posters included.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

More than likely if your thread got moved, it got moved here. It is highly unlikely that a topic in the starless void can attain enough velocity to escape this sub-forum's event horizon.

Re: The USN verses The Swarm

Postby krenshala on Wed 24 Mar 2010 02:21

coldsteel wrote:MK19s won't do damn-all, most of the blast will miss the target.

If the boats are as "big" as I think they are, a single 40mm into the middle of it might not do anything to the boat itself, but it will play merry havoc with the crew of said vessel. And I'm sure there will be enough marines with a good enough aim to pull it off on a consistent basis.

Just think, with a bit of cleaning and minor repair, and the Navy can then reuse those boats for their speedboat carriers. :twisted: :roll: :lol:
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Wed 24 Mar 2010 12:11

krenshala wrote:
coldsteel wrote:MK19s won't do damn-all, most of the blast will miss the target.

If the boats are as "big" as I think they are, a single 40mm into the middle of it might not do anything to the boat itself, but it will play merry havoc with the crew of said vessel. And I'm sure there will be enough marines with a good enough aim to pull it off on a consistent basis.

Just think, with a bit of cleaning and minor repair, and the Navy can then reuse those boats for their speedboat carriers. :twisted: :roll: :lol:

If a 40mm can destroy a HMMWV, it can destroy a speedboat. We have more than fragmentation rounds ya' know :D
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby krenshala on Thu 25 Mar 2010 01:18

OK, fine. Ruin the crews and the boats. Just make sure the 40mm are thermite rounds ... or at least Willy-Pete! :twisted:
-- krenshala

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby drakar on Wed 21 Apr 2010 11:20

Personally as having experience and being qualified on the Mk19 as a gunner I would have to say given support with some M2 .50 cals that it should be quick work saying that your gunners can shoot well or would have a good A gunner to run the t&e it would be quick work.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war."
Plato
drakar
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Wed 21 Apr 2010 12:27

drakar wrote:Personally as having experience and being qualified on the Mk19 as a gunner I would have to say given support with some M2 .50 cals that it should be quick work saying that your gunners can shoot well or would have a good A gunner to run the t&e it would be quick work.

Interesting. What branch were you in?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby drakar on Wed 21 Apr 2010 12:58

@ Cralis

I'm still currently a Combat Engineer in the Army
Plato
drakar
Captain
Captain

Postby krenshala on Wed 21 Apr 2010 13:10

With some Ma Duce assistance I can easily see a guys with Mk19s shredding small boats that threaten their ship.

A former-army friend of mine earned marksman with the Mk19. He was able to drop 40mm rounds through car and HMMWV windows (wrecks on the firing range, admittedly) at over 500m from what he was telling me. He was going through sniper school when he got released for medical reasons.* I saw the marksman awards for both 40mm and rifle. From what he told me, he impressed the hell out of his Mk19 trainer, and was just starting to work in hitting targets from a moving vehicle when he transferred to sniper school.

* A flash-bang at pointblank damaged his eyes, thankfully just after he pulled the scope away to briefly rest his eye-socket (so he didn't go completely blind in that eye) ... he'd been prone in a ghillie-suit for about 30 hours at that point of the exercise. He said he woke up on his back 10 feet from where he was positioned with the another units commander and a few soldiers looking down at him asking him if he was OK, and why he was in their exercise area. It turns out they were the ones in the wrong place that night ...
-- krenshala

krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby krenshala on Wed 21 Apr 2010 13:11

drakar wrote:I'm still currently a Combat Engineer in the Army

Is the unofficial motto still "First we dig 'em, then we die in 'em!" ? ;)

(me, i'm a former USAF computer geek :D)
-- krenshala

krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby drakar on Wed 21 Apr 2010 14:03

I'm not in one of those types of units though, I'm in a Light Sapper Unit so our job is mainly infantry support and demolitions. Fixed positions may be for the other designated engineers and that may be their motto not sure.
Plato
drakar
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Wed 21 Apr 2010 22:31

LOL I'm sure their mottos all change from unit to unit.

I was technically a Microwave/Multiplex Systems Operator for the United States Marine Corps, but I spent a year doing Technical Control. I spent one year with an artillery unit and three years in grunt units. Fun times.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Previous

Return to The Starless Void