The USN verses The Swarm

Every discussion that doesn't have a home gets thrown into the Starless Void. Posters included.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

More than likely if your thread got moved, it got moved here. It is highly unlikely that a topic in the starless void can attain enough velocity to escape this sub-forum's event horizon.

Re: The USN verses The Swarm

Postby dazrand on Sun 21 Mar 2010 15:49

PracticalM wrote:IVery hilarious game.

Yes, Rivets is awesome! Now I have to dig out my copy and try and locate some players.
dazrand
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby aramis on Mon 22 Mar 2010 02:00

Cralis wrote:
aramis wrote:Cralis,
a wide frequency jammer can still jam such a scheme. It does, however, render the entire spectrum useless. One merely has to figure which frequency bands to jam.

Sometimes. Depends upon distance, power, and directionality. I doubt a jammer that could be mounted in or on a speedboat can out range a hellfire missile (or anything like it).

But more importantly, a jammer doesn't allow you to monitor or control a UAV :)

Quite true... but it does send it autopiloting to the next waypoint... and not firing.

Don't know if a spark-gap jammer can hit the frequencies used (don't really want to either), but it's a wonderful wide band jammer which can block a great range of voice and video frequencies.
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Mon 22 Mar 2010 02:33

aramis wrote:
Cralis wrote:But more importantly, a jammer doesn't allow you to monitor or control a UAV :)

Quite true... but it does send it autopiloting to the next waypoint... and not firing.

Hmmm. This may have been the case 5 years ago, but not today. Many of the armed drones can be launched with target profiles, and on the open ocean it isn't difficult to match profiles. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that the capability to make firing decisions already exists. Thus it comes down to how the logic has been initialized: when contact is lost with base, you can have it setup to either fire at targets without confirmation, or to not fire at targets without confirmation. In the situation we have posited I'm guessing that the prior will be the case.

Don't know if a spark-gap jammer can hit the frequencies used (don't really want to either), but it's a wonderful wide band jammer which can block a great range of voice and video frequencies.

There are lots of options available. The question is whether or not any are practical for the given scenario, and I'm guessing the answer is "not really". But who knows, technology changes all the time. But it changes on both sides of the equation... I can think of one really simple solution that is cake over a smooth ocean surface: laser communications.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Club on Mon 22 Mar 2010 14:08

Mortar launched airborne airisols

(And at this point I'm being contrary just for fun.)
TAG: As I understand it, he sought to avoid turning one-point-six trillion Terran sophonts into undead, war-mongering super-soldiers.
Captain Tagon: It it wrong for me to think that would be pretty cool to watch?

http://www.schlockmercenary.com
Club
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Mon 22 Mar 2010 17:33

Club wrote:Mortar launched airborne airisols

I was thinking that there would be a buttload of Marines who would willingly go onto the deck of the boat and shoot at any speedboats that get too close. They'd do it just for the challenge. Let them bring mounted weapons and we can turn it into a shooting gallery!

Bonus: Jammers don't have any effect on grunts, and by the time you notice them, it's too late. Tell the Marines they'll get a medal, and they'll sink anything in double effective small-arms range.

Super Bonus: They can bring micro-UAVs for spotting.

Strike up the band and lets start the Marine Corps Hymn: Better yet, give them sea-launched speedboats of their own. Mount a turreted Mk19 on the bow or fantail and they'll sink everything in fuel-range.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby krenshala on Mon 22 Mar 2010 17:47

Cralis wrote:I was thinking that there would be a buttload of Marines ... [on] ... the deck of the boat ... and we can turn it into a shooting gallery!

... they'll sink anything in double effective small-arms range.

Better yet, give them sea-launched speedboats of their own ... and they'll sink everything in fuel-range.

They will try to sink everything in range. :twisted:

Of course, Marines trying to do something is quite often Marines accomplishing something. :D
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Crucis on Mon 22 Mar 2010 20:13

Cralis wrote:

I was thinking that there would be a buttload of Marines who would willingly go onto the deck of the boat and shoot at any speedboats that get too close. They'd do it just for the challenge. Let them bring mounted weapons and we can turn it into a shooting gallery!

Bonus: Jammers don't have any effect on grunts, and by the time you notice them, it's too late. Tell the Marines they'll get a medal, and they'll sink anything in double effective small-arms range.

Strike up the band and lets start the Marine Corps Hymn: Better yet, give them sea-launched speedboats of their own. Mount a turreted Mk19 on the bow or fantail and they'll sink everything in fuel-range.

And these would be "real" Marines, not these "faux Army" guys who are driving tanks and LAVs around in the middle of a desert without an ocean or a sea within a few hundred miles... :P

Yessir! Marines on the deck of an LCS, all armed with Mk47's or MK19's, fighting off those evil meanies trying to attack their ship at sea! Those are REAL Marines, in the true historical spirit of ocean-going marines of yore!!! :mrgreen:

From the halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli....
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Tue 23 Mar 2010 00:33

Crucis wrote:
Cralis wrote:

And these would be "real" Marines, not these "faux Army" guys who are driving tanks and LAVs around in the middle of a desert without an ocean or a sea within a few hundred miles... :P

Yessir! Marines on the deck of an LCS, all armed with Mk47's or MK19's, fighting off those evil meanies trying to attack their ship at sea! Those are REAL Marines, in the true historical spirit of ocean-going marines