Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide!

Every discussion that doesn't have a home gets thrown into the Starless Void. Posters included.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

More than likely if your thread got moved, it got moved here. It is highly unlikely that a topic in the starless void can attain enough velocity to escape this sub-forum's event horizon.

Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide!

Postby Starfire on Fri 28 Jan 2011 06:28

Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide!
The Invisible Killer

Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people every year. Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of Dihydrogen monoxide do not end there. Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death. Dihydrogen monoxide:
1) is also known as hydroxyl acid, and is the major component of acid rain.
2) contributes to the "greenhouse effect."
3) may cause severe burns.
4) contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
5) accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
6) may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
7) has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.
8) Contamination Is Reaching Epidemic Proportions!

Quantities of Dihydrogen monoxide have been found in almost every stream, lake, and reservoir in America today. But the pollution is global, and the contaminant has even been found in Antarctic ice. DHMO has caused millions of dollars of property damage in the Midwest, and recently California. Despite the danger, Dihydrogen monoxide is often used:
1) as an industrial solvent and coolant.
2) in nuclear power plants.
3) in the production of Styrofoam.
4) as a fire retardant.
5) in many forms of cruel animal research.
6) in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

Companies dump waste DHMO into rivers and the ocean, and nothing can be done to stop them because this practice is still legal. The impact on wildlife is extreme, and we cannot afford to ignore it any longer!

The Horror Must Be Stopped!

The American government has refused to ban the production, distribution, or use of this damaging chemical due to its "importance to the economic health of this nation." In fact, the navy and other military organizations are conducting experiments with DHMO, and designing multi-billion dollar devices to control and utilize it during warfare situations. Hundreds of military research facilities receive tons of it through a highly sophisticated underground distribution network. Many store large quantities for later use.

It's Not Too Late! Act NOW to prevent further contamination. Find out more about this dangerous chemical. What you don't know can hurt you and others throughout the world.
Nerf rock, paper is fine. signed:Scissors.
Starfire
Marvin Lamb
Marvin Lamb

Re: Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide!

Postby BillW on Fri 28 Jan 2011 20:33

You neglected to include the link to the petition site to ban the deadly dihydrogen monoxide: http://www.petitiononline.com/h2o/petition.html
BillW
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Starfire on Sat 29 Jan 2011 10:19

I got the text of that from a 2000 post that I happened to find recently. I think the website is a late comer.
Nerf rock, paper is fine. signed:Scissors.
Starfire
Marvin Lamb
Marvin Lamb

Postby aramis on Sat 29 Jan 2011 21:09

Starfire wrote:I got the text of that from a 2000 post that I happened to find recently. I think the website is a late comer.

It's been coing around the nets since the late 80's, Marvin. My first encounter with it was in 1989 on WWIVnet.

There have been anti-dihydrogen monoxide websites since HTTP went active and Lynx was the hot browser.
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby BillW on Sun 30 Jan 2011 05:32

aramis wrote:
Starfire wrote:I got the text of that from a 2000 post that I happened to find recently. I think the website is a late comer.

It's been coing around the nets since the late 80's, Marvin. My first encounter with it was in 1989 on WWIVnet.

There have been anti-dihydrogen monoxide websites since HTTP went active and Lynx was the hot browser.

True, the anti-dihydrogen monoxide campaign has been going on for quite some time. And they still haven't gotten that stuff banned. ;) :D
BillW
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby krenshala on Sun 30 Jan 2011 15:34

But I heard they had some reps from California that were willing to put the ban in front of Congress ... too bad someone let them know what they were wanting to ban before they did it. ;(
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby BillW on Sun 30 Jan 2011 20:33

krenshala wrote:But I heard they had some reps from California that were willing to put the ban in front of Congress ... too bad someone let them know what they were wanting to ban before they did it. ;(

Gee, that really is a shame. It would let us know where the politicians really stand! :twisted:
BillW
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Vandervecken on Thu 14 Jun 2012 05:14

Not enough is being done about this danger.

My wife's sister is a Farmer in Central Minnesnowta. She and her husband have been farming for many, many years. She told my wife that the run-off from her neighbors field after an especially severe Thunderstorm was just full of the stuff (DHMO). And this is 2 years after the State and County Officials got rid of a set of rules that had limited the amount of Dihydrogen Monoxide the neighboring Farmer could put thru his Irrigation system for that previous year. Large amounts of DHMO seems to stay in the that area's 'Watershed District' for a years, possibly decades, or even longer.

I know that many Astronomers are intered in finding this Corrosive substance on other planets, but for the safety of our (the world's) future generations; all parents should understand exactly what risks are involved in using Dihydrogen Monoxide, including its long term implications.

Procyon, as I know you are involved in farming, I can only hope that your planting season isn't ruined by high concentrations of DHMO; as I have come to understand that this can be devastating to crops, especially seedlings.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby procyon on Tue 19 Jun 2012 03:01

Vandervecken wrote:Procyon, as I know you are involved in farming, I can only hope that your planting season isn't ruined by high concentrations of DHMO; as I have come to understand that this can be devastating to crops, especially seedlings.

Sadly, our problem has actually been a shortage of the noxious stuff.
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Fri 06 Jul 2012 11:24

As bad a pure DHMO is, just let it come into contact with other materials. Then you get the really fun stuff. I'm sure Procyon know about a few nasty combos involving DHMO and a farm.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Next

Return to The Starless Void