Hottest planet surveyed to date...

News about space exploration and scientific advancements. What do you find interesting?

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
The forum is intended only for space and science information. Discussions about how it applies to Starfire is encouraged - there might be some great ideas we can use!

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Hottest planet surveyed to date...

Postby Cralis on Tue 06 Jun 2017 12:33

http://www.space.com/37092-hottest-alie ... lt-9b.html

All I have been able to find on KELT-9 is that it is a type-A giant star. But they found a planet with a temperature around 7800 degrees orbiting the star. The planet is a gas giant and it has a trail of what is presumed to be escaped atmosphere trailing behind the planet. I'm really curious what it's chemical composition is...

Wouldn't that be something to see?

More fun? It's the SECOND planet (KELT-9b)...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Re: Hottest planet surveyed to date...

Postby Whitecold on Tue 06 Jun 2017 14:56

https://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v ... 22392.html

According to the article, probably atomic metals... The lighter stuff gets probably all stripped away.

Starfire system generation seems suddenly very tame.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Tue 06 Jun 2017 16:54

Starfire's sysgen is designed to keep the game interesting. Realistically most of the systems wouldn't have habitables. I created a more realistic sysgen once (I posted it to this forum back in the early days) and even with that we made some decisions to simplify or keep things interesting.

But I think it would be fascinating to play a campaign where you find stuff like this. Especially if we provide types of life that can live in places like this.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Vandervecken on Thu 08 Jun 2017 18:56

My 'Hot Hivers' race from my old 'Three Empires' campaign came from Hot Neptune type worlds, but that used my bulky (but more accurate) SysGen house rules.

We are finding out so many fascinating things about stars and planets and such, just about weekly. And sometimes multiple times during the week. What an age of information we live in.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Cralis on Thu 08 Jun 2017 21:17

Vandervecken wrote:My 'Hot Hivers' race from my old 'Three Empires' campaign came from Hot Neptune type worlds, but that used my bulky (but more accurate) SysGen house rules.

Ayup, I hear ya. I still think it would have been neat to hear the results of a game run with those rules :)

We are finding out so many fascinating things about stars and planets and such, just about weekly. And sometimes multiple times during the week. What an age of information we live in.

I don't think it's going to let up anytime soon either...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Space and Science