Intelligent life may be even rarer than thought

News about space exploration and scientific advancements. What do you find interesting?

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
The forum is intended only for space and science information. Discussions about how it applies to Starfire is encouraged - there might be some great ideas we can use!

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Intelligent life may be even rarer than thought

Postby Vandervecken on Mon 10 Jun 2019 23:09

Life above the simple cell level may be even more rare out there in the cosmos that previously considered due to finding of a new report. And it is all about the CO2, baby. Read more here …

Link: https://phys.org/news/2019-06-narrows-a ... verse.html
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Intelligent life may be even rarer than thought

Postby LesMasters on Tue 11 Jun 2019 03:12

Hi,

I don't know how accurately the report matches the contents of the original article, as I don't have access to the Astrophysical Journal, but there seems to be one thing missing from the former. Our own planet was "unfit for human habitation" - until the early lifeforms began to ameliorate the toxic composition of the atmosphere. Though this wouldn't make much difference on planets that need toxic levels of CO2 to keep liquid water at the surface, for those further in the possibility of higher lifeforms certainly exists.

Les
LesMasters
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Tue 11 Jun 2019 11:14

And remember, this is for life as we know it.

Relating back to Starfire, this would be one factor in the explanation of the Habitability Index. With Earth in the center of HI with a value of 5, perhaps one end (1-3) would have those radiation and heat levels that culminate in too much CO, while the other end (8-10) has the lower levels of each that culminates in too much CO2.

We know that Earth-like life won’t find those environments benign. In fact, while the gravity and heat might be tolerable, and in the water zone there is probably enough water, the excess CO or CO2 would make it hostile to us.

Just like any life that could evolve there — life we cannot currently conceive as possible — would find Earth hostile, probably because it lacks CO (at one end of the HI scale) or CO2 (at the other end).

If anything, this chart tells me that the HI range might be too wide...

* And yes, I’m ignoring the wrap around on the HI scale. It makes for great balance but it isn’t very realistic... I have considered eliminating the wrap around and giving more racial modification points based on the race’s value on the HI scale.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby nukesnipe on Wed 12 Jun 2019 09:39

Given what I've seen on planet Earth, intelligent life is, indeed, a rare thing....
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Vandervecken on Sun 16 Jun 2019 04:04

The 'Galaxy Song' from Monty Python has a ton of data about the galaxy and a real zinger at the end; this song takes the long road to making Nukesnipe's point. Work a look on YouTube, a classic song for both astronomy fans and humor fans; almost a must for people in the Venn Diagram that are in both groups.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Return to Space and Science