quantum computers within months?

News about space exploration and scientific advancements. What do you find interesting?

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
The forum is intended only for space and science information. Discussions about how it applies to Starfire is encouraged - there might be some great ideas we can use!

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

quantum computers within months?

Postby BillW on Sun 07 Jul 2019 08:16

An interesting article on Google's quantum computer research:
https://interestingengineering.com/goog ... -in-months

We won't have a desktop quantum computer anytime soon, nor do we need that much power for a home computer, but there may be a practical quantum computer for high-end research in the not too distant future.

Some other articles on quantum computer research:
https://phys.org/news/2019-06-explore-a ... antum.html
https://phys.org/news/2019-06-path-reli ... antum.html
BillW
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: quantum computers within months?

Postby Cralis on Sun 07 Jul 2019 13:03

BillW wrote:We won't have a desktop quantum computer anytime soon, nor do we need that much power for a home computer, but there may be a practical quantum computer for high-end research in the not too distant future.

Whatever happened to the Israelis and the Chinese already having working quantum computers for research?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Xveers on Sun 07 Jul 2019 18:17

Cralis wrote:
BillW wrote:We won't have a desktop quantum computer anytime soon, nor do we need that much power for a home computer, but there may be a practical quantum computer for high-end research in the not too distant future.

Whatever happened to the Israelis and the Chinese already having working quantum computers for research?

We have right now semi-quantum computers already (depending on who you talk to) manufactured by a company called D-Wave. They're based out of Vancouver. Some people argue that they're not -really- quantum computers, but something nearby. The company I work for handled a few shipments of them down south to NASA a year or three back.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sun 07 Jul 2019 20:03

I remember a few years back that a lot of expectation was that quantum computers would be the size of supercomputers, and I read an article last year that gave something like 6 reasons why a true quantum computer will never be larger than a car, and will quickly become much smaller.

I wish I'd bookmarked that article.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby BillW on Mon 08 Jul 2019 17:50

With quantum mechanics and entangled particles of these computers on my mind, I just happened to stumble on an article about entangled time: https://www.sciencealert.com/if-you-tho ... oakyr1QKTE
BillW
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Whitecold on Sat 13 Jul 2019 16:36

Xveers wrote:
Cralis wrote:

We have right now semi-quantum computers already (depending on who you talk to) manufactured by a company called D-Wave. They're based out of Vancouver. Some people argue that they're not -really- quantum computers, but something nearby. The company I work for handled a few shipments of them down south to NASA a year or three back.

I'd argue D-Wave is very much not a quantum computer. Its architecture can be efficiently classically simulated, which means every problem D-Wave can solve, your toaster can solve it as well.

There are true quantum computers, their size is just very, very limited so far, and scaling them up is hard. No platform seems to have found the winning solution there.
Whitecold
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Return to Space and Science