If I wanted to learn how...

News about space exploration and scientific advancements. What do you find interesting?

Moderators: SDS Owner, SDS Members

Forum rules
The forum is intended only for space and science information. Discussions about how it applies to Starfire is encouraged - there might be some great ideas we can use!

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

If I wanted to learn how...

Postby voidstalker[woe] on Tue 29 Oct 2019 11:18

Hey guys, if I wanted to learn how our actual solar system could/should be displayed on a starfire map, what are some good links that will help me to understand the solar system?

I already got some links on the speed of light, another showed me the tilt/axis of the planets. Where should I go to get as complete an understanding of the size and scope of our home system?

I want to setup our actual solar system, on a 4 part starfire map, but I expect that on any scale that includes Earth and Pluto, things will get lost due to required scale.

Here is one that I like, and has a new couple of articles I need to look at soon.

The center for near-earth-objects studies (NEO).
https://cneos.jpl.nasa.gov/
In starfire like terms, these are naturally occurring objects that come near our home, and represent potential for visiting/exploiting if only we had the tech to match orbit/start mining...

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7498
This one looks interesting, and supports the idea that solar systems are not necessarily comprised entirely of things that formed here, but pick up things left over/cast out of other star systems from time to time. Dated from Sep 2019.

https://cneos.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news204.html
This is an older article I had not seen yet, dated from Aug 2019.
User avatar
voidstalker[woe]
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed 02 Jan 2019 17:28
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan

Re: If I wanted to learn how...

Postby voidstalker[woe] on Tue 05 Nov 2019 06:52

Wow, no answers. :o

But I have more questions...

Anyone got a good understanding of near earth lift costs? How about payloads, and to which orbits?

How about Lagrange points, how does one get to any of these?
User avatar
voidstalker[woe]
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed 02 Jan 2019 17:28
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan

Re: If I wanted to learn how...

Postby Cralis on Tue 05 Nov 2019 17:19

Don’t you have the same topic in your TOaST articles in the general section?
Image
User avatar
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member
 
Posts: 11224
Joined: Tue 30 Jun 2009 19:27
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: If I wanted to learn how...

Postby voidstalker[woe] on Wed 06 Nov 2019 01:08

Cralis wrote:Don’t you have the same topic in your TOaST articles in the general section?
Yeah, I kinda do! My mind is rather messed up, and I cannot seem to focus and keep content in the proper threads. I wanted to make sure that I got out an actual request for links to factual (non game related) replies, to see if folks could help steer me onto some good informations sources, so that I could gain participation in the threads, and get folks to sharing their thoughts on things.

Up to you, Cralis, and I totally understand if you would like me to fix my threads and keep them more focused and try to prevent my mind from wandering while typing. The old INTP curse brought to life, in living color.

To my mind, this section is where hard facts should be shared, while the other threads are places where game content might be posted.

On a side note;
VoidStalker's dang INTP brain strike yet again wrote:Years ago, when I was taking classes in the Army, a classmate of mine, in all fairness and honesty, frustrated and annoyed, made a comment about "VoidStalker knows his shit, but following his reasoning is harder than understanding the concept the instructor just explained."

I had the same problem in Junior and Senior high schools, where I would mix and match lessons learned in one class with those in another, so that I could enjoy the logic of how things worked.

I even earned a public (friendly) warning from my biology professor, as he was walking around passing out our tests, not to rewrite the final exam (as I had been doing with all the previous exams, because it wasn't hard enough, and I was bored), so that I could change the correct answer from true to false, or vice versa, and just answer the question as they were. :D :oops:

When taking a math class in college over a decade ago, my professor was so taken with the way I aced some of the concepts that my classmates were struggling with, he had me come up to the board and solve one of the 'hard' problems, and without thinking about it, while going through all the painstakingly lengthy handwritten equations, I just kept up a running monologue about what I was doing and why, and how I had struggled with some of the contents of the lectures, before I had the old "Light Bulb Moment", and how suddenly everything made sense and I understood things. The class was VERY quite in the classroom when I returned to my seat, and it was only after class was dismissed that I learned from a rather attractive young female classmate, that in my solving the problem on the board had helped HER to have the old "Light Bulb Moment", as my running monologue had covered exactly the same issues that hed prevented her from 'getting it' to that point. I know that the professor would have liked to have had me demonstrate more concepts, but he saw the pain I was in from having to crouch down so that I could continue writing out the equations all the way to the bottom of the board, as even as far back a just over a decade ago my health problems were already taking their toll on my body.


Bah! I can't think straight right now, back after a nap and food. :lol: 8-)
User avatar
voidstalker[woe]
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed 02 Jan 2019 17:28
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan

Re: If I wanted to learn how...

Postby Cralis on Thu 07 Nov 2019 22:02

No no, don't let me discourage you. Carry on. You're doing fine.

And you sound like an intuitive person. You don't always follow a chain of logic, but you somehow always end up with the right solution. That's pretty rare talent. ;)
Image
User avatar
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member
 
Posts: 11224
Joined: Tue 30 Jun 2009 19:27
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: If I wanted to learn how...

Postby Xveers on Fri 15 Nov 2019 22:22

voidstalker[woe] wrote:Hey guys, if I wanted to learn how our actual solar system could/should be displayed on a starfire map, what are some good links that will help me to understand the solar system?

I already got some links on the speed of light, another showed me the tilt/axis of the planets. Where should I go to get as complete an understanding of the size and scope of our home system?

I want to setup our actual solar system, on a 4 part starfire map, but I expect that on any scale that includes Earth and Pluto, things will get lost due to required scale.

Here is one that I like, and has a new couple of articles I need to look at soon.

The center for near-earth-objects studies (NEO).
https://cneos.jpl.nasa.gov/
In starfire like terms, these are naturally occurring objects that come near our home, and represent potential for visiting/exploiting if only we had the tech to match orbit/start mining...

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7498
This one looks interesting, and supports the idea that solar systems are not necessarily comprised entirely of things that formed here, but pick up things left over/cast out of other star systems from time to time. Dated from Sep 2019.

https://cneos.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news204.html
This is an older article I had not seen yet, dated from Aug 2019.


I know a website that you are DESPERATELY missing (kinda surprised you haven't tripped across it yet, myself!) And that site is the absolutely glorious Project Rho, care of Winchel Chung.

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/orbits.php

That's the page for orbits and the like, but as far as places to go look at things, it's an EXCELLENT place to start digging. And lends itself to wiki-walks on related topics. It's also kindly sprinkled (okay, saturated) with comments from quite a few learned geeks, and links to even more in-depth madness.

Cannot recommend enough!
User avatar
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed 15 Jul 2009 02:26
Location: New Westminster, BC, Canada

Re: If I wanted to learn how...

Postby voidstalker[woe] on Sat 16 Nov 2019 12:35

Xveers wrote:I know a website that you are DESPERATELY missing (kinda surprised you haven't tripped across it yet, myself!) And that site is the absolutely glorious Project Rho, care of Winchel Chung.

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/orbits.php

That's the page for orbits and the like, but as far as places to go look at things, it's an EXCELLENT place to start digging. And lends itself to wiki-walks on related topics. It's also kindly sprinkled (okay, saturated) with comments from quite a few learned geeks, and links to even more in-depth madness.

Cannot recommend enough!
I got this added to my 'favorites' now, and will go over there and check them out when my mind returns... :?
User avatar
voidstalker[woe]
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed 02 Jan 2019 17:28
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan


Return to Space and Science

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

cron