Wolf 1061c

News about space exploration and scientific advancements. What do you find interesting?

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
The forum is intended only for space and science information. Discussions about how it applies to Starfire is encouraged - there might be some great ideas we can use!

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Wolf 1061c

Postby Cralis on Thu 17 Dec 2015 12:02

http://www.sciencealert.com/astronomers ... wolf-1061c

A super-Earth has been postulated at Wolf 1061, a mere 14 LY away. But the coolest details for Starfire fans?

1. It orbits a red dwarf in a tidal lock formation. Bingo! Score one for Starfire. this proves that Starfire showing planets around red dwarf stars is in fact realistic.

2. It appears to not have a large moon, but instead may have a habitable twilight zone. Bnm! Score one for Fred Burton. Could provide proof that this habitable planet type could exist.

Very cool
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Re: Wolf 1061c

Postby southwestforests on Thu 17 Dec 2015 16:40

All through life it seems life gets more like sci fi every year. I just hope it gets more like the positive than the negative sci fi! Presently it feels like one could make a case for the types to be running about even.
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Commander
Commander

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Postby aramis on Sat 19 Dec 2015 03:27

4.3 earth masses, 0.1 AU, around 432 hours per orbit...

Assuming earth-like density, about 1.6x the diameter and 2.6x the surface area.
Assuming that a "habitable band" is 30°wide... about 0.4 earth surface areas of useful habitat?

Be well worth a visit if we could get there in under a year... (because 2 years is about the maximum endurance we can provide for).
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby procyon on Sat 19 Dec 2015 17:05

aramis wrote:Be well worth a visit if we could get there in under a year... (because 2 years is about the maximum endurance we can provide for).

So all we need to focus on is reaching a speed that is 14 times faster than light...
:lol:

Umm...maybe we should focus on the endurance thing instead.
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby aramis on Mon 21 Dec 2015 01:36

procyon wrote:
aramis wrote:Be well worth a visit if we could get there in under a year... (because 2 years is about the maximum endurance we can provide for).

So all we need to focus on is reaching a speed that is 14 times faster than light...
:lol:

Umm...maybe we should focus on the endurance thing instead.

If the Alcubierre-White warp drive manages to get off the ground, the expected pseudo-speed is 10 C...

The issue with current provisioning is that, even for irradiated food, 2 years is about the point where simple chemical breakdown significantly reduces both nutrition and palatability. (Source: NASA TV)

Also, every attempted biosphere project above a few cubic meters needs intervention with external inputs within 2 years. So... the likelyihood of extending that is a matter of understanding of ecologies... and it's a huge risk.

Best odds of getting to go within our lifetimes? about the same as the odds of Dr. White being right about his transformation of Dr. Alcubierre's theorem.
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Mon 21 Dec 2015 03:01

I've eaten MREs older than that...

And what about freeze-dried food? I thought that had a shelf-life of decades and the majority of nutrients was preserved. Just need a good multi-vitamin..
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby southwestforests on Mon 21 Dec 2015 16:05

Cralis wrote:Just need a good multi-vitamin..
This morning I was wondering if washing down my calcium tablets with dr Pepper means anything.

Talking about prehistoric MRE brings to mind that in the 60s and 70s we swore USN commissaries, and the USAF commissary at Robins AFB in Georgia, were selling canned goods left over from the fall of Jericho.
southwestforests
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Mon 21 Dec 2015 16:36

southwestforests wrote:
Cralis wrote:Just need a good multi-vitamin..
This morning I was wondering if washing down my calcium tablets with dr Pepper means anything.

Di-Calcium Phosphate and Tri-Calcium Phosphate bind with minerals so your body cannot absorb them. That's why some cheap multivitamins like Centrum are practically worthless. The Phosphates in sodas aren't as effective at binding, but they still do it. Colas are the worst...

Talking about prehistoric MRE brings to mind that in the 60s and 70s we swore USN commissaries, and the USAF commissary at Robins AFB in Georgia, were selling canned goods left over from the fall of Jericho.

Canned goods go bad faster than MREs... mostly becuase they will still chemically react with the contents of the can. Great pains are taken to make MREs inert and sterile, and still stable.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby southwestforests on Mon 21 Dec 2015 17:17

All of which ties in to thought about feeding the crews on both real voyages to places like the subject here, and on all these game ships.
Admittedly I haven't looked deeply in to Starfire literature on the matter.
Some thoughts:
The "leaf eaters" from the Man-Kzin Wars series of novels could to some extent or another grow their own on board.
Meat, now that would be an issue. Wonder what the future holds for those lab-grown meat experiments in recent years.

Scene:
"Target their galley"
"But Captain, that's just plain mean!"
southwestforests
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Mon 21 Dec 2015 18:06

Didn't a Japanese research group just recently announce that they found a way to turn grubs or something into a meat substitute?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Next

Return to Space and Science