3D printed colloids to replace electronics?

News about space exploration and scientific advancements. What do you find interesting?

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
The forum is intended only for space and science information. Discussions about how it applies to Starfire is encouraged - there might be some great ideas we can use!

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

3D printed colloids to replace electronics?

Postby BillW on Wed 12 Sep 2018 06:00

Not only can the print at the nano level now, MIT researchers have been able to 3D print colloids that can be used to conduct light instead of electricity. Although we are a long way from this new tech replacing electronic circuits it does look promising.

https://www.sculpteo.com/blog/2018/09/07/3d-printed-electronics-the-new-revolutionary-development-of-3d-printed-colloids
BillW
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: 3D printed colloids to replace electronics?

Postby Cralis on Wed 12 Sep 2018 11:21

That’s just... wow.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby southwestforests on Wed 12 Sep 2018 17:29

What do we do for material when science fiction stops being fiction?
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Commander
Commander

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Postby BillW on Wed 12 Sep 2018 20:33

southwestforests wrote:What do we do for material when science fiction stops being fiction?

IKR! Real science has advanced much further than anything dreamed of in 1950's sci-fi, except for FTL drives. I remember reading a 1950s era real news story (sorry, I don't remember which one) where they said that it would be useful to setup a base on the moon because it would be so easy to do experiments with vacuum tubes. Much of the tech we have now, especially electronics & computers was inconceivable back then. Makes me wonder what things will be like in another 50-60 years?
BillW
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby coldsteel on Wed 12 Sep 2018 20:34

southwestforests wrote:What do we do for material when science fiction stops being fiction?

We dance.
TFN: 1 BB, 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 11 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Commander
Commander

Postby Whitecold on Thu 13 Sep 2018 11:27

BillW wrote:

IKR! Real science has advanced much further than anything dreamed of in 1950's sci-fi, except for FTL drives. I remember reading a 1950s era real news story (sorry, I don't remember which one) where they said that it would be useful to setup a base on the moon because it would be so easy to do experiments with vacuum tubes. Much of the tech we have now, especially electronics & computers was inconceivable back then. Makes me wonder what things will be like in another 50-60 years?

Nuclear power is also way behind expectations. Nuclear fission is way too dangerous to put in your car, and for nuclear fusion, it is insanely demanding and still ongoing research. Plus so far it is mostly D+T fusion, true infinite Hydrogen fusion is still in the stars.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Thu 13 Sep 2018 16:43

Whitecold wrote:Nuclear power is also way behind expectations. Nuclear fission is way too dangerous to put in your car, and for nuclear fusion, it is insanely demanding and still ongoing research. Plus so far it is mostly D+T fusion, true infinite Hydrogen fusion is still in the stars.

Most of the lack of progress in that tech is because we just spent 70 years teaching everyone that nukes are weapons and everyone is going to die from the slightest radiation...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby BillW on Mon 17 Sep 2018 17:43

Whitecold wrote:
BillW wrote:

Nuclear power is also way behind expectations. Nuclear fission is way too dangerous to put in your car, and for nuclear fusion, it is insanely demanding and still ongoing research. Plus so far it is mostly D+T fusion, true infinite Hydrogen fusion is still in the stars.

Yes, you are correct. It used to be popular to have nuclear powered everything in sci-fi stories.I recall Aldous Huxley, I think in the 1960s, saying that he should have used it in his novel Brave New World. As it turns out, no nuclear powered everything and his book works better without specifying the power source for things. "Hard to see, the futue is" said Yoda. And he was right. We can make some predictions, but they have to be based on what it known. When a major beakthrough happens that can really change things.
BillW
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby BillW on Mon 17 Sep 2018 17:50

Cralis wrote:
Whitecold wrote:Nuclear power is also way behind expectations. Nuclear fission is way too dangerous to put in your car, and for nuclear fusion, it is insanely demanding and still ongoing research. Plus so far it is mostly D+T fusion, true infinite Hydrogen fusion is still in the stars.

Most of the lack of progress in that tech is because we just spent 70 years teaching everyone that nukes are weapons and everyone is going to die from the slightest radiation...

True the average person fears getting cancer from radiation from nuclear power plants, but will cheerfully go out and sit in the sun for hours. Which is more likely to cause cancer, compared to the infinitesimal amounts of radiation from nuclear power.
BillW
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Return to Space and Science