commercial space flight

News about space exploration and scientific advancements. What do you find interesting?

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
The forum is intended only for space and science information. Discussions about how it applies to Starfire is encouraged - there might be some great ideas we can use!

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

commercial space flight

Postby BillW on Mon 17 Sep 2018 18:06

We are at the beginning of commercial space flight. When the Wright brothers had their historic first airplane flight. People said that it was impressive, but “What good is it?”. Although there were some who did stunt flying at county fairs, flying machines did not become a real money maker until the US government decided to pay for air mail. This created a demand for bigger, better planes which led to the ability to have multiple-passenger flights which led to more demand and more innovation. The government is already willing to pay a business to put satellites in orbit. Taking passengers will provide another boost to the still immature space industry.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/13/17857872/spacex-moon-trip-passenger-announcement-bfr

This is another tech that I don't think we know where it will be in another 50 years. But, they need some big breakthrough to really change things.
BillW
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: commercial space flight

Postby Cralis on Mon 17 Sep 2018 18:10

I think it's actually pretty exciting, but I don't think the cost is going to drop low enough for an average person to go... at least in my life time.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby southwestforests on Tue 18 Sep 2018 06:33

I wonder how many analogies in this from 1965 might apply today.
General concept is how a new technology impacted society in various ways.
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Commander
Commander

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Postby BillW on Tue 18 Sep 2018 20:18

Cralis wrote:I think it's actually pretty exciting, but I don't think the cost is going to drop low enough for an average person to go... at least in my life time.

Perhaps so unless we volunteer for a one way trip to Mars or there is an unexpected breakthrough like the drivefield. The former is more likely as there are already over 200000 volunteers for the one-way Mars trip: https://www.space.com/22758-mars-colony-volunteers-mars-one.html
Last edited by BillW on Wed 19 Sep 2018 20:50, edited 1 time in total.
BillW
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Wed 19 Sep 2018 11:32

With no skills criteria for joining, a huge portion of the volunteers are bound to have few skills. It would be interesting to see how that breaks down and whether they push those volunteers to the back or use them to train into skills needed but lacking among the volunteers.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby BillW on Wed 19 Sep 2018 21:12

Cralis wrote:With no skills criteria for joining, a huge portion of the volunteers are bound to have few skills. It would be interesting to see how that breaks down and whether they push those volunteers to the back or use them to train into skills needed but lacking among the volunteers.

No skills required to be n the initial batch of 200000 volunteers. But, I am sue that they must have some good qualifications to be in the finalists list.
Some of the American semi-finalists: https://people.com/celebrity/meet-five-of-the-american-semifinalists-for-a-one-way-trip-to-mars/
Lots more info on the Mars One site: http://www.mars-one.com
BillW
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Return to Space and Science