New "impossible" planetary find

News about space exploration and scientific advancements. What do you find interesting?

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
The forum is intended only for space and science information. Discussions about how it applies to Starfire is encouraged - there might be some great ideas we can use!

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

New "impossible" planetary find

Postby Cralis on Thu 18 Oct 2018 20:24

CI Tau is a 2 million year old star inside of a stellar nursery, but it has 4 large gas giants... one of which is a "hot Jupiter" and the other is further out then thought possible for the age of the star. Even better, the planets are still surrounded by a planetary disk. Current models say that this formation isn't possible!

How cool is that?

Bonus: there is a really neat image of HL Tauri's planetary disk...one of the better images of a planetary disk I've seen.

https://www.universetoday.com/140280/su ... oung-star/
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Re: New "impossible" planetary find

Postby Vandervecken on Fri 19 Oct 2018 04:56

Very interesting find, saw it first on the physics.org website. The picture is a beauty, indeed.

This is my go to place for Astronomy news - https://phys.org/space-news/

A little lighter is Space(dot)com - https://www.space.com/

These two sites are pinned to my favorites list (as is Starfire)
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Cralis on Fri 19 Oct 2018 10:02

I have phys.org and space.com, as well as universetoday.com. And a couple dozen other sites. I have them plugged into RSS so I can see what they are all posting at a glance.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby southwestforests on Mon 22 Oct 2018 23:21

This universe is fascinating, amazing, wondrous, and beautiful.
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Commander
Commander

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Postby szurkey on Sun 28 Oct 2018 12:50

Cralis wrote:CI Tau is a 2 million year old star inside of a stellar nursery, but it has 4 large gas giants... one of which is a "hot Jupiter" and the other is further out then thought possible for the age of the star. Even better, the planets are still surrounded by a planetary disk. Current models say that this formation isn't possible!

How cool is that?

Bonus: there is a really neat image of HL Tauri's planetary disk...one of the better images of a planetary disk I've seen.

https://www.universetoday.com/140280/su ... oung-star/

Actually, the standard model for planetary formation is fundamentally flawed. It cannot explain how planetismals go from softball size to basketball size. I've known about this for 20+ years. I used to argue on other forms, that the accretion model of planet formation is nonsense because of this, and that the simplest solution is that the cloud collapses into many parts, the most successful are stars, the next gas giants, then planets, and then asteroids and other rocks. They can still keep accreting material after the star ignites by the accretion theory, but they get their start long before.
szurkey
Commander
Commander

Return to Space and Science