Artificial Plants

News about space exploration and scientific advancements. What do you find interesting?

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
The forum is intended only for space and science information. Discussions about how it applies to Starfire is encouraged - there might be some great ideas we can use!

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Artificial Plants

Postby BillW on Sun 07 Jul 2019 11:57

With solar power (or cheap fusion power in Starfire) this would be a good way for life support to convert CO2 into Oxygen.

https://chab.ethz.ch/en/news-and-events ... light.html
User avatar
BillW
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 765
Joined: Tue 14 Jul 2009 22:31
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Artificial Plants

Postby Cralis on Sun 07 Jul 2019 12:32

BillW wrote:With solar power (or cheap fusion power in Starfire) this would be a good way for life support to convert CO2 into Oxygen.

https://chab.ethz.ch/en/news-and-events ... light.html


I can't find it... but I thought I remembered reading a phys.org article talking about using a process similar to this that was intended to destroy CO2 and the byproduct just happened to be something that could be made into a gasoline alternative.

If I find it I will post it here. Interesting stuff.
Image
User avatar
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member
 
Posts: 11434
Joined: Tue 30 Jun 2009 19:27
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Artificial Plants

Postby BillW on Sun 07 Jul 2019 12:44

Cralis wrote:
BillW wrote:With solar power (or cheap fusion power in Starfire) this would be a good way for life support to convert CO2 into Oxygen.

https://chab.ethz.ch/en/news-and-events ... light.html


I can't find it... but I thought I remembered reading a phys.org article talking about using a process similar to this that was intended to destroy CO2 and the byproduct just happened to be something that could be made into a gasoline alternative.

If I find it I will post it here. Interesting stuff.


Could be. This version produces hydrocarbons as a byproduct so it creates a sustainable fuel source.
User avatar
BillW
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 765
Joined: Tue 14 Jul 2009 22:31
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Artificial Plants

Postby Cralis on Sun 07 Jul 2019 13:33

BillW wrote:This version produces hydrocarbons as a byproduct so it creates a sustainable fuel source.


Those words are literally quoted from the article... but it doesn't seem to have anything saying exactly what that fuel source is. I'd wager a guess that it means "the hydrocarbon byproducts could be a sustainable fuel source" and then leaves off the "but we don't know how to use it yet" or "it requires a lot of processing" or any number of other qualifiers.

Honestly, that's one of the most frustrating parts of many articles these days. They are usually either keeping the real details secret or locked behind a paywall.

Either way, it is still interesting. I'm waiting for synthetic plants to produce power. I saw an article a few years ago about someone trying to make a synthetic plant that used sunlight to create luminescence.
Image
User avatar
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member
 
Posts: 11434
Joined: Tue 30 Jun 2009 19:27
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Artificial Plants

Postby BillW on Sun 07 Jul 2019 14:13

Cralis wrote:
BillW wrote:This version produces hydrocarbons as a byproduct so it creates a sustainable fuel source.


Those words are literally quoted from the article... but it doesn't seem to have anything saying exactly what that fuel source is. I'd wager a guess that it means "the hydrocarbon byproducts could be a sustainable fuel source" and then leaves off the "but we don't know how to use it yet" or "it requires a lot of processing" or any number of other qualifiers.

Honestly, that's one of the most frustrating parts of many articles these days. They are usually either keeping the real details secret or locked behind a paywall.

Either way, it is still interesting. I'm waiting for synthetic plants to produce power. I saw an article a few years ago about someone trying to make a synthetic plant that used sunlight to create luminescence.


I found an article with more technical detail: https://www.pnas.org/content/116/20/9735

Ethylene and ethane are the hydrocarbons that are produced which can be used as fuel or additives to other fuel.
User avatar
BillW
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 765
Joined: Tue 14 Jul 2009 22:31
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Artificial Plants

Postby Cralis on Sun 07 Jul 2019 15:47

Interesting. Plant-based photosynthesis produces glucose, oxygen, and some other byproducts. Interesting to think that you can just re-arrange how the molecules get assembled and produce other hydrocarbons.

Thank you for looking that up, I was thinking about doing it but I'm neck deep in getting work done...
Image
User avatar
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member
 
Posts: 11434
Joined: Tue 30 Jun 2009 19:27
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Artificial Plants

Postby Xveers on Sun 07 Jul 2019 18:28

Hmmm... this reminds me of how the USN was working on figuring out ways to manufacture jet fuel onboard a carrier. Did a bit of digging and pulled up these two links with more detail:

https://www.nrl.navy.mil/news/releases/ ... -us-patent

https://patentyogi.com/aircraft/us-navy ... -carriers/

Second link is more fluffy, but it has a direct link to the actual patent documentation.
User avatar
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed 15 Jul 2009 02:26
Location: New Westminster, BC, Canada

Re: Artificial Plants

Postby Cralis on Sun 07 Jul 2019 20:02

One of the presumptions we make in the Starfire universe is that (among other things) common fuels are manufactured in the smallest quantities, using water fission to provide oxygen and hydrogen on demand. Since ice is plentiful everywhere that sunlight is also plentiful, I could see some of these processes being used to provide other hydrocarbon-based resources. Given that carbon is also relatively plentiful in star systems...
Image
User avatar
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member
 
Posts: 11434
Joined: Tue 30 Jun 2009 19:27
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Artificial Plants

Postby southwestforests on Sun 14 Jul 2019 00:01

Hmm, some interesting stuff here. Will save the page about the NRL seawater capture thing.
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
User avatar
southwestforests
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon 27 Aug 2012 21:01
Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River


Return to Space and Science

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests