Remote construction spin-off

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Remote construction spin-off

Postby Lomn on Mon 20 Mar 2017 09:11

So that I don't clog Gunbunny's thread, here's a side question related to building stuff in remote places.

I have a mobile construction facility way out at the back end of nowhere. I ship it some stuff to build, which will be a two-month process. I lease the CFN FT on month 0 (before construction begins). Being a cheapskate, I don't want to pay for that FT to sit on its butt for the next two months, so:

(1) Can I just dump the stuff into space and let it sit while the construction facility does its thing?

Yes, orbital drift is an issue; the stuff will float away. A couple of solutions are evident. (A), the construction facility drifts with it (either DF-down for true drift or DF-up but not using the stationkeeping position correction). (B), a tractor beam is used to periodically grab-and-reposition the bits; even Ta has a lot of space to work within a tH.

(2) Assuming that the (1A) drift-and-build method is used, the base is complete two months later and has drifted 2 sH clockwise from where construction began. We've discussed at some point in the past that stationkeeping drives effectively mean a unit with such has a speed of 1 sH/month (because that's the orbital drift to be offset), but could this base use its stationkeeping drive to move counterclockwise (i.e. against the flow of orbital drift) to get back to the initial position after two months?

This bit isn't really make-or-break; option one is to just have a T system in-place to drag the base where it needs to go; option two is to start construction "upstream" of the intended destination so that the base comes on-line at the right spot.
Lomn
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Remote construction spin-off

Postby Cralis on Wed 22 Mar 2017 12:18

Lomn wrote:So that I don't clog Gunbunny's thread, here's a side question related to building stuff in remote places.

Oy. Somehow I completely missed this topic. Bad Cralis!

I have a mobile construction facility way out at the back end of nowhere. I ship it some stuff to build, which will be a two-month process. I lease the CFN FT on month 0 (before construction begins). Being a cheapskate, I don't want to pay for that FT to sit on its butt for the next two months, so:

(1) Can I just dump the stuff into space and let it sit while the construction facility does its thing?

This is something we've left up to the SM. Theoretically, yes. We have transfer rates to/from space and to/from a planetary surface if you just want to dump stuff somewhere.

However, there are some concerns. Realistically many types of resources would be susceptible to damage from cosmic radiation, dust impacts, and even vacuum damage. Gameplay-wise there is also the consideration that this effectively means you have unlimited fixed-point storage anywhere in the universe.

What do you (or anyone else) think?

Yes, orbital drift is an issue; the stuff will float away. A couple of solutions are evident. (A), the construction facility drifts with it (either DF-down for true drift or DF-up but not using the stationkeeping position correction). (B), a tractor beam is used to periodically grab-and-reposition the bits; even Ta has a lot of space to work within a tH.

This is far less of an issue than the issues I've suggested. And you could even use a small asteroid or even a planetary surface in the same way and it won't have any issues with orbital movement.

(2) Assuming that the (1A) drift-and-build method is used, the base is complete two months later and has drifted 2 sH clockwise from where construction began. We've discussed at some point in the past that stationkeeping drives effectively mean a unit with such has a speed of 1 sH/month (because that's the orbital drift to be offset), but could this base use its stationkeeping drive to move counterclockwise (i.e. against the flow of orbital drift) to get back to the initial position after two months?

This bit isn't really make-or-break; option one is to just have a T system in-place to drag the base where it needs to go; option two is to start construction "upstream" of the intended destination so that the base comes on-line at the right spot.

Since it can only "shift" by 1 sH/month, it can't move in retrograde... sorta. If you think about it, you can always shift into a lower orbit diagonally, shift back up diagonally, and after a few months you can be back where you want to be.

Or just use a tractor beam. Much faster.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby SCC on Fri 07 Apr 2017 16:50

Lomn wrote:I have a mobile construction facility way out at the back end of nowhere. I ship it some stuff to build, which will be a two-month process. I lease the CFN FT on month 0 (before construction begins). Being a cheapskate, I don't want to pay for that FT to sit on its butt for the next two months, so:

Why are you hiring a FT to haul this stuff out there? I'm pretty sure it gets shipped out there for free
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Whitecold on Fri 07 Apr 2017 17:07

SCC wrote:
Lomn wrote:I have a mobile construction facility way out at the back end of nowhere. I ship it some stuff to build, which will be a two-month process. I lease the CFN FT on month 0 (before construction begins). Being a cheapskate, I don't want to pay for that FT to sit on its butt for the next two months, so:

Why are you hiring a FT to haul this stuff out there? I'm pretty sure it gets shipped out there for free

If you are using SYM building from MCr, then yes. If you are using an MS using prefabricated parts, then no, you need to ship the parts there.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby SCC on Sat 08 Apr 2017 03:09

Whitecold wrote:
SCC wrote:

If you are using SYM building from MCr, then yes. If you are using an MS using prefabricated parts, then no, you need to ship the parts there.

Ah, ok then.

Two other points but:
1) You don't hire the FT, you rent space in it (It's not tracked as a unit and you don't pay the cost of every H of carrying capacity)

2) What ever gave you the idea that whatever you're building is built inside the MS? Unless it's smaller then 25HS it's physically impossible. In fact the only cases where the rules saying work done by yards is internal for for smcft and Hh.
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Whitecold on Sat 08 Apr 2017 03:23

SCC wrote:Two other points but:
1) You don't hire the FT, you rent space in it (It's not tracked as a unit and you don't pay the cost of every H of carrying capacity)

2) What ever gave you the idea that whatever you're building is built inside the MS? Unless it's smaller then 25HS it's physically impossible. In fact the only cases where the rules saying work done by yards is internal for for smcft and Hh.

For the first I assume hire FT's meant hiring H in FT's in the first place.
For the second, I assume it is done with a MS because people were talking about dumping prefabricated components into space, where using a MS is a very probable scenario. There is no size restriction on projects a MS can assemble. I am at a loss where anyone talked about MS doing the work internally?
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Return to Solar Starfire