General clarification questions

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: General clarification questions

Postby Whitecold on Sun 02 Apr 2017 01:51

GunBunny wrote:2. I made so many errors. In the design of units. In the cost of units. In the building of units. In the use of units (StMP, Burnout). If I was an actual accountant I would have been fired after this job.

I had my own incident in Lomns campaign where I miscalculated colony costs, and I ended up paying roughly double. Lomn realized the mistake after a few rounds, and then a few people on the oversight committee found out they had been so inspired by the colonization effort that they had 'voluntarily' signed up for the lowest class one-way ticket out there to help the effort in a more hands-on way.

GunBunny wrote:2. Random events, I was so busy learning the rules in the most frequented sections I didn't realize these existed until I switched to the spread sheet. Do they get used often? Seems like it might spice up a solo campaign as much as a multiplayer.

Xveers wrote:I use em in my empire (the deWulf Universe). They can definitely spice up a campaign, but if you're just starting off I suggest leaving them out till you feel you have the basics under your belt. Most of them are little things, but there's a couple NASTY ones in there (the three worst I've encountered have been: Unavoidable war, Berzerker, and that one that targets a system with a slower-than-light migration). I'd suggest to start when you have them in, be willing to "Spacemaster Veto" some, just to keep the madness in check.

I found that out on my first test campaign. Three turns in I rolled government shutdown. Berserkers, unavoidable wars, they are all bad, but at least you can do something. You may end up dead, but at least you had fun trying to fix the issue. Government shutdown? It kills you by boring you to death.
I was really worried that it might crop up in Lomns campaign. 10 turns mean time to go away coupled with 2-3 weeks er turn, would mean like half a year effectively not playing the campaign...
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 444
Joined: Fri 19 Sep 2014 15:03

Re: General clarification questions

Postby Lomn on Sun 02 Apr 2017 19:32

Whitecold wrote:I found that out on my first test campaign. Three turns in I rolled government shutdown. Berserkers, unavoidable wars, they are all bad, but at least you can do something. You may end up dead, but at least you had fun trying to fix the issue. Government shutdown? It kills you by boring you to death.
I was really worried that it might crop up in Lomns campaign. 10 turns mean time to go away coupled with 2-3 weeks er turn, would mean like half a year effectively not playing the campaign...

One of the NPRs got a version of that -- two-system NPR that rolled for survey shutdown. Had a habitable next system over if they could have gotten clear of the result.

I think a house rule for an improved chance over time to clear those continuing events (the good ones as well) is worth considering. Something like 20% after 5 months, 40% after 10 months, 100% after 20.
User avatar
Lomn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Tue 30 Oct 2012 08:19
Location: MSFC, Alabama

Re: General clarification questions

Postby Whitecold on Mon 03 Apr 2017 12:37

Lomn wrote:
Whitecold wrote:I found that out on my first test campaign. Three turns in I rolled government shutdown. Berserkers, unavoidable wars, they are all bad, but at least you can do something. You may end up dead, but at least you had fun trying to fix the issue. Government shutdown? It kills you by boring you to death.
I was really worried that it might crop up in Lomns campaign. 10 turns mean time to go away coupled with 2-3 weeks er turn, would mean like half a year effectively not playing the campaign...

One of the NPRs got a version of that -- two-system NPR that rolled for survey shutdown. Had a habitable next system over if they could have gotten clear of the result.

I think a house rule for an improved chance over time to clear those continuing events (the good ones as well) is worth considering. Something like 20% after 5 months, 40% after 10 months, 100% after 20.

One thing I thought of also for inefficient Bureaucracies as well as the shutdown is to apply some opposite of the efficient bureaucracy events. This would make life hard for players without excluding them from certain options.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 444
Joined: Fri 19 Sep 2014 15:03

Re: General clarification questions

Postby Dawn Falcon on Fri 07 Apr 2017 11:18

Xveers wrote:I'd suggest to start when you have them in, be willing to "Spacemaster Veto" some, just to keep the madness in check.


Yes, just tagging this. GG1 and GG2 can create really, really unfortunate situations especially early in games.
I recommend (as the GG1 author) using SM override if it'll wreck the game :)

(Oh and as and when the new version of GG1 comes out? MWHAHAHAHAHAHA)
User avatar
Dawn Falcon
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
 
Posts: 1558
Joined: Thu 02 Jul 2009 17:26

Re: General clarification questions

Postby Cralis on Fri 07 Apr 2017 11:32

Maybd we should have a "do not recommend before month XYZ" for the nasty ones? It would serve as a minimum gairsntee like the no nor attack gaurantee in first 10 months of Starfire!
Image
User avatar
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member
 
Posts: 10145
Joined: Tue 30 Jun 2009 19:27
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: General clarification questions

Postby Dawn Falcon on Fri 07 Apr 2017 16:33

There's a reference to player protection in paragraph 3 of GG1 I think :P

edit; Okay, 4 :P

Note: If using the optional rule [K2.06] (player protection), you may also wish to apply this to an Oddity roll (i.e. a Berserker) which could easily destroy the player’s Home system – it will then not enter the player’s home system on that occasion.
User avatar
Dawn Falcon
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
 
Posts: 1558
Joined: Thu 02 Jul 2009 17:26

Re: General clarification questions

Postby GunBunny on Fri 14 Apr 2017 18:02

Quick question about Tugs and Bases.

In the technology tree for the Tractor Beam in the notes its mentions "rate", for Ta its 50, I'm confused as to what it means, I think it means that it can tow a maximum of 50 HS? The notes for Ta also state max 200 HS. Is the max 200 HS include the Tug size calculation along with the towed object or is this referring to something else?

I keep reading the section related to tugs over and over but the above Rate/Max HS just wont resolve in my head.

When using bases for WP defense. How do you state where the Base is actually located in relation to the WP, by tH and direction? How close do people normally set up their defenses based on Ranges of weapons?
GunBunny
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed 01 Mar 2017 17:20

Re: General clarification questions

Postby Cralis on Sat 15 Apr 2017 04:41

GunBunny wrote:In the technology tree for the Tractor Beam in the notes its mentions "rate", for Ta its 50, I'm confused as to what it means, I think it means that it can tow a maximum of 50 HS? The notes for Ta also state max 200 HS. Is the max 200 HS include the Tug size calculation along with the towed object or is this referring to something else?


With Tractors there are two attributes: tractor rate and maximum tractor rate. The tractor rate is the number of HS that a single T can tow. The maximum tractor rate is the maximum HS that a specific generation of T can tow when combined.

So, for example, Ta has a tractor rate of 50 and a maximum tractor rate of 200. So 1 Ta can tow 50 HS, 2 Ta can two 100 HS, but 4 Ta together on the same unit can tow 200 HS.

This is explained in E5.01.3, last bullet.

When using bases for WP defense. How do you state where the Base is actually located in relation to the WP, by tH and direction? How close do people normally set up their defenses based on Ranges of weapons?


Typically I setup the 4-part tactical map and have the WP at the center of the map, then note the tH location. If I was going to do it without a numbered map, I'd probably use bearing and tH distance from the WP to notate where I place my defensive units.
Image
User avatar
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member
 
Posts: 10145
Joined: Tue 30 Jun 2009 19:27
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: General clarification questions

Postby GunBunny on Fri 06 Oct 2017 18:22

Some other questions for you guys,


I realize the H requirement for hulls changed between versions, by the way Example M1.03.4.2 for late prototype install still mentions paying for the 1 H requirement (unless I'm mistaken), but I want to know if anyone still sees a benefit to adhering to at least one Hs or H for military units. The way I see it unless you build specific maintenance carriers to follow your fleet you would be limited on offensive operations by the 1 month maintenance held in storage without any H. I know this cuts down on combat ability of units and is the main drawback but maybe freedom of strategic movement may outweigh the deficiency? Now if you don't see it this way how do you get your maintenance to forward deployed units?
GunBunny
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed 01 Mar 2017 17:20

Re: General clarification questions

Postby procyon on Fri 06 Oct 2017 19:35

All my players routinely have at least an Hs or Ht on a warship, unless it is a dedicated system defense ship. They also send FT with extra supplies in case a fleet is cut off or needs mid month resupply.

That said, our games likely see more ‘extended’ operations than most. With my games averaging one hab per 10 systems ( plus a healthy number of barrier systems that the CFN won’t cross) it isn’t unusual for my players to be ‘without’ maint from the CFN.

So colliers full of munitions, FT carry both maint in H and crew/pilots in Qv, repair ships, and occasionally dedicated courier ships if they will need to communicate beyond cd distance or capability - all are standard in my players fleets.

That, and an extra HTK for 1/2 HS (Hs) is pretty good game-wise.
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
User avatar
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal
 
Posts: 2549
Joined: Mon 26 Apr 2010 16:26
Location: SE IOWA

PreviousNext

Return to Solar Starfire

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron