My Quick Rules Questions All in One Place

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: My Quick Rules Questions All in One Place

Postby eoghantodd on Wed 05 Apr 2017 17:16

Having an issue with the spreadsheet counting leased H and Qv...I have the leased freighters entered and it lists their income as 0. Any thoughts?
eoghantodd
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Wed 05 Apr 2017 22:01

Are you talking about with Lomn's spreadsheets?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Xveers on Wed 05 Apr 2017 23:17

eoghantodd wrote:Having an issue with the spreadsheet counting leased H and Qv...I have the leased freighters entered and it lists their income as 0. Any thoughts?

Assuming this is Lomn's spreadsheets, check the Ship Designs tab. Do you have the design entered in here? Make sure you've got the H, Qv, and the strategic speed in there (I think it checks for all of that).
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Lomn on Thu 06 Apr 2017 17:04

Yes to the above.

On "Income" tab, in "Lease Revenue", enter ship class as defined on the "Ship Designs" tab and the number of leased ships. You should see numeric values for all items if it found the class; you should see "N/A" if it doesn't recognize the class name.

On the "Ship Designs" tab, have the class name defined along with its strategic speed, H, Qv, and LQv capacities. The calculation on Income automatically adjusts income based on FT speed, so having that at 0 will zero out income.

On the "Shipping" tab, you can cross-check the totals from "Income" in the "Leased Gov't" column of "Total CFN Availablility" near the top left.

Note that you also need these FTs listed on the Ships tab to pay their maintenance.
Lomn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby eoghantodd on Fri 07 Apr 2017 10:14

I didn't have the Strategic Speed right. Soon as I fixed that it all worked out! Thanks!
eoghantodd
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby eoghantodd on Wed 12 Apr 2017 11:03

So as I'm digging through setup and stuff...I want to make sure I understand something...The standard starting setup is that players don't start with the AP tree, but can unlock it with a breakthrough...am I reading this right?
eoghantodd
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Lomn on Wed 12 Apr 2017 11:40

That is correct. By my count, there are two "progress" knots that you can immediately pursue in a standard setup:
  • AP Tree
  • T SL 2
Additionally, you can pursue the engine type and weapon types that you didn't initially select (all Trees), but those tend not to be priorities in the early game.

Other knots to be aware of early are the Yc and Z Branches, which require Y SL 2 and Elec SL 2, respectively. You can begin those SL R&D programs right away; my advise is to do so (Elec SL 2 also clears the prereq to work on the Elec SL 3 knot). I hold breakthrough R&D until I've got at least one of the Yc or Z knots available for results to reduce the chance that a breakthrough success falls through to basic R&D acceleration.
Lomn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Wed 12 Apr 2017 15:44

eoghantodd wrote:So as I'm digging through setup and stuff...I want to make sure I understand something...The standard starting setup is that players don't start with the AP tree, but can unlock it with a breakthrough...am I reading this right?

That is correct. Because it is not a tree your empire starts with, it has to be opened first.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby eoghantodd on Fri 21 Apr 2017 11:50

So here's a calculations question on tech items.

Species A, The Plant People, have just hit SL 2 in Small Craft. I'm figuring out the cost to develop SYa and Sqa, the small craft items.

Planet People TGI: 3195.2
The R&D Cost listed on the cart for SYa is 10, so I use that instead of the 20 that's the item cost on the cart.

Cost for Tech Item R&D is x + y for each RP.

Where x = Item cost * .1 so X = 1.

And Y equals 1% of TGI so 3195 * .01 = 31.952.

So cost should be 32.952 or 33 rounded up.

Startup costs for RP are doubled so 66 per RP for first 10 or 660 to get 10 RP in SYa.

So there's an error somewhere, when I input the data into the spreadsheet it's coming out as 4.2 per RP. So I'm off by a factor of ten on the Y cost? it's calculating as 3.2 + 1 = 4.2 per RP.

Help?

Edit: Ok Figured it out. it's .001 per RP. I had the decimal in the wrong place to begin with.

/facepalm. Been that long since I've had to do serious math like this.
eoghantodd
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Whitecold on Fri 21 Apr 2017 16:37

One note, eoghantodd: sYa is an entirely useless item which you probably should not be developing. Only FQ and GB can actually mount sensors, they cannot be used on shuttles.
By the time you get squadrons, you have access to better sensors, and their sensor reach is already bigger than what you get from sYa.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to Solar Starfire