Play-by-email Forum Game

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Play-by-email Forum Game

Postby Whitecold on Thu 15 Jun 2017 00:22

Cralis wrote:Whitecold, didn't you have a similar squadron system already designed? why don't you use that?

I plan to likely use part of it, the reduced damage for capital/heavy weapons to make regular ones more viable in anti-smcft defense. My idea seems to accomplish what it was designed to do (Prevent GB from being near invincible, prevent large weapons from double firing, having at least linear scaling in number of weapons, and making it easy to calculate) but the one thing it does not manage is making GB actually interesting.
They are still all the same, with them being part of a fleet mix instead of the entire fleet eases the boredom to some extend.
procyons idea makes smcft designable, gives them design choices, and it brings all the combat systems together. AP, armed and unarmed smcft and large units work all under essentially the same rules, which has great appeal to me for consistency, being able to compare units, and also general elegance of the system.

I'd rather cook up my own hull table to go along with this ruleset.

I fixed my system_connector, before it had issue on not properly importing already connected WPs
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Whitecold on Mon 26 Jun 2017 15:09

Update:
The spreadsheet is finished, and I wrote up the rules so far, cooking up my own hull table for smcft.
Also I found out the map connector overwrote all the carefully placed initial outgoing systems, balanced so everyone got the roughly same starting conditions. I have to redo a lot of the map now. Luckily I still have the original files, so I don't have to start all over.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Sunwolf on Mon 26 Jun 2017 17:08

Sounds like good progress
Sunwolf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Whitecold on Tue 27 Jun 2017 17:05

So, the campaign now has a name, Dawn of the Stars
It also has some campaign rules here, feel free to ask questions in the thread, or make suggestions.
It further has a spreadsheet, which you can get here, and have a look at.
It also has a map now, which you don't get to see, though.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Whitecold on Mon 03 Jul 2017 12:53

Anyone who is still interested in joining the game as either player or NPR, please read the rules, download the spreadsheet and send me an email, so we can get started with turn 0.
Also, for possible combat resolution via VASSAL, please include what time you might have time for tactical combat (in GMT)
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Whitecold on Sun 23 Jul 2017 13:38

There is one player slot still open, and plenty of possibilities for NPRs, if anyone would like to join.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby eoghantodd on Fri 28 Jul 2017 16:31

Been quite busy getting ready for vacation, but on the plus side will have plenty of time on vacation to finalize my choices. Looking forward to getting going!
eoghantodd
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby eoghantodd on Mon 14 Aug 2017 10:38

Carved out time this afternoon to finish my species stuff! Still figuring out how to design a shuttle, and such, but should be able to bang it out.

Biggest difficulty is picking things I like without being derivative.
eoghantodd
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Previous

Return to Solar Starfire